Visiting Assistant Professor in Art EducationJob Posting Number:
College of Fine Arts and CommunicationDepartment/School:
School of Art and DesignPosition Description :
The School of Art and Design at Texas State University invites applications for a one-year visiting assistant professor position in art education starting Spring 2022. The selected candidate will be expected to be a productive scholar and effective teacher of art education. The candidate will teach 3/3 courses per academic year, including undergraduate arts integration for non-majors and art education courses leading to the BFA in Studio Art with Teacher Certification in ART EC-12. The selected candidate will demonstrate evidence of scholarly excellence, teaching effectiveness, and enthusiasm for actively collaborating with colleagues in the art education program. Candidates will also be expected to contribute to college, department, and university service. We especially encourage diverse candidates to apply for this position. By diversity, we mean the existence and co-existence of visible and invisible factors such as gender identity, sexual orientation, different abilities, ethnicity, and race, among other socially diverse identities. Texas State University seeks candidates whose professional background includes embracing a diversity of people and ideas, a spirit of inclusiveness, a global perspective, and a commitment to community-building. As a federally designated Hispanic Serving Institution, we are especially interested in applicants who share a commitment to equity, and the high-quality education of students from historically underserved and systematically marginalized communities. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. All positions are subject to availability of funds.Required Qualifications:
- A Ph.D. or Ed.D. degree in Art Education. All But Dissertation (ABD) in Art Education will be considered.
- Minimum of three (3) years of demonstrated experience teaching as instructor of record, including hybrid and fully online courses, in higher education.
- Successful record of teaching university courses on art education, visual/material culture, teacher preparation, digital technologies in/through art education, and curriculum that is interconnected with and supports socially just/ethical art and education.
- A productive record of research and publications related to the field of art and art education.
- A demonstrated commitment to diverse and inclusive learning in teaching and curriculum design by expanding established canons and norms in syllabi, community engagement, or research/creative work.
- A research specialization and teaching profile immersed in diversity in its many forms and practices.
- Record of creative activity/artistic practice.
- Demonstrated familiarity with how digital tools and computational technology can be integrated into Art Education higher education curricula.
- Record of teaching studio art courses in higher education as instructor of record.
- Successful experience teaching in a variety of formal and informal educational settings, e.g., community colleges, museums, K-12 public schools, and/or other community teaching contexts.
- Have teaching licensure (preferably All-Level Art EC-12) and/or experience in student teacher supervision, and familiarity with performance-based assessment.
- Leadership at the national or international level in the field of Art Education.
Only applications submitted through the Texas State University website will be accepted and considered, https://jobs.hr.txstate.edu/postings/36633.
To ensure full consideration, please submit application by Friday, November 12, 2021:
- Letter of application stating how experience and credentials fulfill the requirements for this position (not to exceed 3 pages)
- Curriculum vitae
- Sample publication (1 maximum)
- Sample course syllabi (1 maximum)
- Sample of creative practice (links or digital files)
- List of three references from individuals able to comment on applicant’s qualifications
The candidate selected for hire will be required to provide official transcripts from all degree granting universities.
For inquiries regarding the position, please contact the Search Committee Chair, Dr. Adetty Pérez de Miles at [email protected]
.Type of Position:
Full-TimeProposed Start Date:
Spring 2022Posting Date:
10/14/2021Full Consideration Date:
11/12/2021Open Until Filled?:
Texas State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, committed to inclusive thought and action in support of our diverse community. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups and all those who share our commitment to inclusivity and passion for the strength of our diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.Reasonable Accommodation:
If you experience accessibility issues or require alternative formatting during the application process due to a disability or underlying condition, we request that you contact Faculty and Academic Resources for assistance at [email protected]. A representative from Faculty and Academic Resources will respond to you as soon as is possible.Record Checks and Verifications:
Employment with Texas State University is contingent upon the outcome of record checks and verifications including criminal history, driving records, education records, employment verifications, reference checks, and employment eligibility verifications.Eligibility for Employment:
Proper documentation of identity and eligibility for employment will be required before the hiring process can be completed.Tobacco-Free Campus:
Texas State University is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of any tobacco product will not be allowed anywhere on Texas State property or in university owned or leased vehicles.Why Work at Texas State?:
Texas State University is home to more than 38,000 students and 2,000 faculty members in the growing Austin-San Antonio corridor. A member of the Doctoral Universities: Higher Research Activity Carnegie classification, the university creates new knowledge, fosters cultural and economic development, and prepares its growing population of diverse students for the endless possibilities that await them as citizens of Texas, the nation, and the world.
Bolstered by research with relevance and innovation in creative and scholarly work in a full range of academic disciplines and a spirit of inclusiveness, Texas State seeks outstanding candidates for a variety of faculty positions.Quick Link: