PRINCIPAL PURPOSE OF JOB: The Assistant Professor of Forestry is a tenure track position in the School of Agriculture, Communities, and the Environment which is in the College of Agriculture, Community, and the Sciences at Kentucky State University (KSU). The position will have a combination of research (50%), teaching (25%) and Extension (25%) components.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY: The Assistant Professor of Forestry is a tenure track position at Kentucky State University in the school of Agriculture, Communities, and the Environment (ACE) within the College of Agriculture, Community, and the Sciences (CACS) This Ph.D. level position will lead cooperative research and extension projects to assist in forestry. This position will support the forestry issues , as well as work with other programs to support the sustainable forest ecosystem management including emphasis on one of the following areas of expertise: forest ecosystem management, urban forestry, agroforestry, parks and forest recreation, ecology and management, biofuels and renewable resources, invasive species, biodiversity, or climate change. Stakeholders include urban farmers, small-scale and organic fruit and vegetable farmers, aquaponics producers, home and community gardeners, environmental consultants, and urban planners. The successful candidate will assist in teaching excellence at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: (ex: duties that are essential to performing the job with or without an accommodation)
1. Develop a nationally-recognized applied research program focusing on sustainable forest ecosystem management including emphasis in one or more of the following areas of expertise: forest ecosystem management, urban forestry, agroforestry, parks and forest recreation, ecology and management, biofuels and renewable resources, invasive species, biodiversity, or climate change.
2. Support research on crops that are important to Kentucky stakeholders such as ginseng, white oak, or nut tree crops.
3. Assist in the management and coordination of the 300-acre KSU Environmental Education Center as a research and teaching resource.
4. Teach or develop undergraduate and graduate courses such as agroforestry, energy and environment, environmental resource economics, natural resources policy, environmental hydrology, park and recreation, depending upon need and areas of expertise.
5. Develop research and extension proposals, conduct research, analyze research results, and publish results in area of urban agricultural systems.
6. Share research-based results with stakeholders through extension programs.
7. Mentor graduate and undergraduate students engaged in applied research projects.
8. Serve on committees for university, stakeholder groups, and professional associations.
9. Work with small and limited resource farmers and underserved communities
10. Other related duties as assigned.
OTHER DUTIES: (ex: tasks that may be necessary, but are not the main reason(s) the job was created)
The position will conduct other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: A Ph.D.in Forestry, Natural Resources or a closely related field required.
Licensing and Certifications
Valid Driver’s License
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Candidates must demonstrate the potential for collaborative, integrated, multi-disciplinary research, granting, publishing, and stakeholder involvement.
• Research and outreach experiences in silvicultural practices, ecological analysis and modeling, park and recreation, ecological restoration, wildlife and habitat management, remote sensing/GIS application in forest management, ecological impact assessment, climate change and variability.
• Preference will be given to candidates with a record of excellence in research and teaching and the ability to mentor undergraduate and graduate students.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in the university setting;
• Ability to work under deadline
• Valid Driver’s License
• Must be able to travel primarily in-state (20%)
• Occasionally may need to move light equipment and carry supplies, publications, and needed equipment for demonstration and training programs.
INTERNAL APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY