GRADUATE STUDENT AFFAIRS ADMINISTRATOR, Pardee School of Global Studies Tracking Code7026 Job Description
The Graduate Student Affairs Administrator is responsible for supporting students’ success and wellbeing throughout their time at the Pardee School of Global Studies. This position plays a leadership role in directing and coordinating all aspects of academic advising as well as curricular & co-curricular initiatives for graduate students. This includes, though is not limited to, offering programs and resources related to career development and fostering a sense of belonging, shared community, and pride in Pardee. In addition to student affairs responsibilities, this position supports efforts related to student admissions and yielding and manages other duties as assigned.
The Graduate Student Affairs Administrator is a member of the Pardee School Student Services team and reports to the Director of Student Affairs and Services. The Student Services team is dedicated to supporting graduate and undergraduate students and to contributing to the Pardee School’s mission of advancing human progress. Student Services staff work regularly and collaboratively with faculty and other colleagues and participate in school-wide meetings and functions.
Essential Function 1: Advising (50%)
- Develop and implement all aspects of a holistic academic advising program that supports students’ academic, personal, and professional growth.
- Organize academic advising for all graduate students ensuring that students are regularly meeting with advisors for discussion of degree programs, course registration, degree progress, career advice, personal concerns and other matters.
- Interpret, uphold, and coordinate academic and student life policies and procedures.
- Provide 1:1 advising to the majority of graduate students.
- Collaborate and build relationships with key campus partners.
- Coordinate curricular and co-curricular initiatives such as travel grants, MA papers and defenses, and foreign language proficiency exams.
- Be the point person on student records and graduation procedures, coordinating with the Registrar and other relevant administrators.
- Update the MA Paper Handbook, the Graduate Student Handbook, and the Graduate Advising Procedures document, and graduate program webpages as needed.
- Maintain the graduate student list and electronic student files.
- Advise on course planning and updates to the BU Bulletin (Student Handbook).
- Develop and implement strategies to improve retention and on time graduation rates.
Essential Function 2: Career Development (25%)
- In collaboration with faculty, staff, and alumni the Graduate Student Affairs Administrator designs and implements career development initiatives for MA students.
- Coordinate the annual Graduate “Career Advance,” a kick-off to the professional development curriculum that helps students gain skills and experiences for the workplace.
- Plan and support activities such as panels of professionals, networking events, site visits, and an annual overnight trip to Washington, D.C. (and potentially elsewhere), to help students explore possible career paths.
- Collect and share information on career outcomes for Pardee graduates.
Essential Function 3: Student Affairs (15%)
- Take a leadership role in fostering a sense of belonging and community through school programs and communications.
- Organize new student orientation.
- Collaborate with relevant colleagues to run the Dean’s Ambassadors student leader program.
- Hire, train, supervise, and manage payroll for graduate student employees and graduate assistants.
- Manage graduate communications including the general email account, a weekly e-newsletter, a calendar of events and deadlines, and all messaging to incoming students.
- Advise graduate student organizations on their activities and manage the Pardee Graduate Lounge.
- Participate in the planning and successful implementation of signature Pardee School events and ceremonies.
Essential Function 4: Admissions and Yielding (10%)
- Contribute to student admissions and yielding efforts.
- Be a first-reader on a sub-set of applications.
- Evaluate and make recommendations on admissions decisions and scholarships.
- Reach out to admitted students to encourage their enrollment at the Pardee School.
A cover letter is required for consideration.
- Master’s degree and a minimum of three to five years of relevant experience.
- Master’s degree in higher education or student affairs preferred.
- Prior experience in university advising and/or student life preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities at the same time.
- Commitment to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience working with a highly motivated student body in the context of a rigorous academic environment.
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job Location BOSTON, Massachusetts, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular