: Des Plaines, ILPosted:
: Oct 5, 2021Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Full Time StaffPosition ID:
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under general supervision, perform tasks involved in maintaining grounds, lawns, flower beds, shrubs and trees, sidewalks, parking lots, roads and storm sewers and drainage structures, and snow removal.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform routine tasks in maintaining lawns and grounds, including seeding, fertilizing, mowing and watering.
- Install, plant, spray and maintain flower beds.
- Plant, fertilize, spray and prune shrubs and trees.
- Maintain and repair sidewalks, roads and parking lots.
- Maintain and repair water and sanitary lines, storm sewers, drainage structures and manholes and drain lines.
- Perform tasks in snow removal, leaf raking, tree cutting and stump removal.
- Operate job related power equipment such as end loader, snow blower, air compressor and air hammer, mowers, painter, chain saw, and other power equipment.
- Perform other general maintenance tasks as may be assigned by Supervisor or Director.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- High school education or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
- Two years of landscaping groundskeeping/nursery experience is necessary.
- Possession of Illinois State Commercial Driver's License with Class B with Air Brake Endorsement is preferred.
- Possession of Illinois State Public Applicator or Operator License and Ornamental and Turf pest control is preferred.
- Ability to interact professionally and tactfully with people of different levels of education, cultural backgrounds, and life experiences, and to exhibit an adequate level of respect to fellow employees and the College community at large.
Position will require employees to have:
the ability to stand, walk and move for extended periods of time (Often - 75% - 100%).
the ability to detect dirt, dust, stains and marks. (Often 75% to 100%)
the ability to bend, twist, stoop, kneel, crawl, push, pull, and reach in all directions (Often - 75% - 100%)
the ability to lift and carry 50 lbs. (Often 75% - 100%)
the ability to perform moderate to strenuous physical labor for extended periods of time. (Often 75% - 100%)
the ability to set up and operate mechanical cleaning equipment. (Occasional 50% to 75%)
the ability to work at heights and the ability to ascend/descend ladders. (Seldom - 0% - 25%)
Some shifts will require the use of radio communication. Employees on these shifts, using these devices, will be required to have the ability to hear and exchange information clearly.
Job duties may be performed in hot, dusty, dirty environments. Employees may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and outside weather conditions.
General supervision is received from the Grounds Supervisor. Oversight by Director of Facilities.
HOURS: Tuesday - Saturday 7:00 am - 3:30 pm
SALARY: $42,223 Starting salary may change due to the completion of staff negotiations.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.