Assistant Professor - Exercise Science/BiomechanicsPosting Number:
Assistant ProfessorClassification Code:
8003RCW Exemption Criteria:
10 - Academic PersonnelEWU Position Number:
26.09 - Physiology, Pathology & RelatedFLSA:
Exempt - TeachingBargaining Unit :
UFE% Full Time:
100Salary / Wage Range:
The expected salary upon hire is $73,171Anticipated Start Date:
09/16/2022Term of Appointment:
Yes - BothLevel 1 User with Access:
Amy ShaddResponsible HR User:
Britt PirkerResponsible HR User Email address:
[email protected] "inquiries only"Job Summary:
The College of Health Science and Public Health invites applications for a full-time Assistant Professor of Exercise Science/Biomechanics in the Department of Wellness and Movement Sciences (WAMS) to begin mid-September 2022. About Eastern Washington University:
The successful candidate will teach undergraduate and graduate courses in biomechanics, human performance, and research methods/statistics. In addition, the successful candidate will advise undergraduate exercise science students and supervise/advise graduate students. The candidate will also be a member of the graduate faculty and will teach courses appropriate to their discipline as needed. The successful candidate will also teach other departmental courses as needed, serve on department, university and professional committees, conduct research for publication, grant acquisition and presentation, participate in outreach to the community, and demonstrate teaching excellence, professional growth and service. Interest in online teaching and pursuit of grants or other external funding is preferred.
Eastern’s WAMS faculty bring knowledge and experience in teaching, research, and service to their undergraduate and graduate programs. We are especially interested in a colleague who complements our existing faculty, who can develop and maintain strong community relationships, who can serve on department, college and university committees, as well as maintain an active role in a professional organization, develop a focused line of research, and seek extramural funding for research or programs. The department’s undergraduate programs prepare students to complete degrees in Exercise Science, Health and Physical Education, Public Health, Recreation and Tourism Management, Outdoor Recreation, and Therapeutic Recreation. We have Master of Science degrees in Athletic Training and in Wellness and Movement Sciences with two tracks – Sports and Recreation Administration and Exercise Science.
Additionally, all faculty are expected to actively participate in assessment of student learning and to engage in effective teaching.
Eastern Washington University is a regional, comprehensive public university located in Cheney and Spokane, Washington, with programs offered throughout the state and online with an enrollment of over 12,000 students. Eastern is one of six state-funded four-year institutions of higher education in Washington reporting to its own Board of Trustees.Diversity Statement:
Eastern’s 300-acre main campus is located in Cheney, a community of 11,000 residents 16 miles southwest of the state’s second largest city, Spokane. Eastern also offers programs in downtown Spokane at the Brand new Catalyst building and on the Riverpoint Campus which is shared with Washington State University. Eastern also offers program throughout the state based on the needs of the community. Eastern offers an array of bachelor’s and master’s degrees and one applied doctorate in physical therapy. EWU offers 135 fields of study, 9 master’s degrees, 12 graduate certificates, 39 graduate programs, 1 educational specialist degree, and 1 applied doctorate to more than 10,000 enrolled students.
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
To be considered eligible for appointment into the position, applicants must be available and able to start in the position no later than 09/16/2022. Physical Demands :
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value, as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
All new employees must comply with EWU immunization Policy 602-02 and provide proof of immunity or vaccination to MMR and proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before beginning work at EWU. Waivers for the immunization requirements are available for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs.
Essential Functions Analysis forms (“EFA”) describe the physical and mental demands associated with our positions. If you would like to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form, which describes the physical and mental demands of the position, please contact Britt Pirker at [email protected] Pre-Placement Physical :
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
Exam gloves. University, local, regional and state mandates for public and personal protection should be followed as needed.Required Qualifications:
- Earned Doctorate from an accredited program in Exercise Science, Biomechanics or a related field (should be conferred by start date, if ABD must be conferred within 1 year)
- Evidence of scholarly activities relevant to biomechanics or related field
- Demonstrated strong teaching record
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Preference may be given to candidates who offer one or more of the following preferred qualifications:
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated strong teaching record at the college level
- Evidence of advising undergraduate and/or graduate students in an exercise science program
- Experience advising graduate and undergraduate research
- NSCA certification
Work Schedule Type:
- Time Management
Schedule will vary from quarter to quarter to fulfill position’s responsibilities. Assignments may include evening classes.Posting Date:
09/10/2021Open Until Further Notice:
YesScreening to Begin:
10/13/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit your application materials through our online application portal located here: https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu/. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, contact Britt Pirker at (509) 359-6931, or [email protected]
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
Required documentation includes all of the items listed below:
- Cover Letter – please describe how you meet each of the required and preferred qualifications (if applicable).
- Curriculum Vitae – please include a list of references as the last page of your CV, including names, title, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses.
- Teaching Philosophy – maximum of two pages – include a description of your teaching philosophy and a description of your teaching interests
- Diversity Response: As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. You will be asked to attach a diversity response as part of the online application process: Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- List of Professional References: please include a list of at least three references including names, title, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses, and their connection to you.
All materials will be held in strictest confidence; references will not be contacted until candidates have been notified.
Note: Letters of Reference are not required at this time. We reserve the right to request letters of reference at a future date, such as once we have identified interview candidates.% of Time:
100Responsibility / Duty:
A Faculty Activity Plan (FAP) will be developed by the end of the first quarter of the selected candidate’s appointment, and will consist of a combination of teaching, research, service and/or release time to perform administrative duties, as negotiated and as needed to meet the needs of the department.
Typical workload for this position will involve 36 credits per academic year, subject to Department needs, mainly at EWU’s main campus in Cheney, WA.
Responsibilities will consist of a combination of teaching, research, service and/or release time to perform administrative duties, as negotiated and as needed to meet the business needs of the department.
80% Teaching Responsibilities:
- May be required to teach courses that fulfill the need of the Department and Program.
- Advising undergraduate and graduate students
- All faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and in assessment of student learning outcomes.
Teaching also includes the following additional related responsibilities as defined in the faculty CBA:
20% Scholarship & Service (Typically 10% each):
- Meet all scheduled classes
- Plan, organize and inform students of course content, texts, readings, assignments, attendance regulations and methods of evaluation including grading scales
- Schedule and attend office hours
- Turn in grades according to established deadlines
- Advise students who are declared majors on department, college and University requirements and career opportunities.
Essential Function Indicator:
- This position will be expected to engage in research and scholarship.
- This position will be expected to engage in service through department, college, university, community/civic organizations, and professional organizations including service on committees.