Job location: International House Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
JR00042443 University Overview
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America’s Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn’s vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information. Posted Job Title
Senior Global Programs Manager/Global Programs ManagerJob Profile Title
Advisor International Programs SeniorJob Description Summary
A member of Penn Abroad, the Global Programs Manager (GPM)/ Senior Global Programs Manager (SGPM) plays a key role in administering undergraduate education abroad opportunities at the University of Pennsylvania. This position provides guidance on global opportunities for Penn undergraduate students, including those administered within and outside of Penn Global. In addition to this, the GPM/SGPM will take on a lead role in the program management of Penn’s incoming exchange program, along with advising and enrollment coordination of a semester study abroad portfolio.
The GPM/SGPM carries out a mix of advising, program management, programming and crisis support as follows:
Advising: Work directly with students both in one-on-one and group sessions; addressing groups of students, parents, and faculty through a variety of media; advising on program costs, financial aid policies; responding to inquiries about study abroad and other global opportunities abroad; orientation and student preparation: preparing pre-departure information and leading orientation sessions; and, maintaining supportive and constructive communication with students during the advising, application, abroad, and return stages.
Program Management: Preparing and updating information and materials for Penn Abroad programs within Terra Dotta; application review and student selection; and, maintain partnerships with providers, host institutions, and program staff abroad.
Programming, Outreach, and Recruitment: Support and lead Penn Abroad initiatives for programming and outreach to prospective education abroad students; activities include but are not limited to Penn Global Week and the Education Abroad Fair, information sessions, returned student programming, social media, marketing support, events, etc.
Crisis Support: Collaborating with appropriate crisis response team members in the case of student emergencies abroad.
The GPM/SGPM, as a member of the Penn Abroad team, acknowledges the “Penn Abroad Team Values” as core tenets which guide our work, our shared workplace environment, and our contributions to the University of Pennsylvania. The GPM/SGPM is expected to uphold these team values individually, and to assist peers in upholding them collectively and among our team.Job Description
Principal Position Responsibilities/Duties:
- Advise undergraduate students on available education abroad opportunities in individual and group sessions, ensuring compliance with the Penn Abroad and home school advising models across a portfolio or outbound programs, and the incoming student exchange program.
- Prepare and update information and materials for abroad programs within TerraDotta including application review and student selection with relevant academic departments, and home school advisors, and maintaining partnerships with institutions and providers abroad, in addition to maintaining the student exchange program balance.
- Provide pre-departure programming and support for outbound students, personal and administrative support for students while abroad, and post-experience programming for returned students. Additionally coordinate all inbound student exchange programming including orientation and ongoing support during their studies at Penn.
- Support and coordinate Penn Abroad initiatives for programming and outreach to prospective students, including information sessions, study abroad fair, Penn Global Week, returned student programming, and other events and activities as defined by Penn Abroad leadership
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Senior Global Programs Manager
- A Master’s degree is required, along with five to seven years' experience in education abroad advising and program management, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated experience in managing inbound and outbound student exchange programs. Demonstrated proven experience in effective advising and excellent organizational, written, and oral communication skills. Commitment to student service and ability to work effectively with faculty, students, and university representatives from different cultural backgrounds; extensive experience working, studying, or traveling abroad desirable; proficiency in one language other than English preferred, but not required; familiarity with higher education in other countries; excellent judgment and ability to deal with difficult situations; ability to work as a member of a team and under pressure; commitment to the Penn Abroad Team Values. A willingness to travel and represent the University of Pennsylvania's views, standards, and policies with authority and personal conviction; interest in professional development; and familiarity with computer applications for a study abroad office.
Global Programs Manager
- A Bachelor's degree is required, along with three to five years' experience in education abroad advising and program management, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated experience in managing inbound and outbound student exchange programs. Demonstrated proven experience in effective advising and excellent organizational, written, and oral communication skills. Commitment to student service and ability to work effectively with faculty, students, and university representatives from different cultural backgrounds; extensive experience working, studying, or traveling abroad desirable; proficiency in one language other than English preferred, but not required; familiarity with higher education in other countries; excellent judgment and ability to deal with difficult situations; ability to work as a member of a team and under pressure; commitment to the Penn Abroad Team Values. A willingness to travel and represent the University of Pennsylvania's views, standards, and policies with authority and personal conviction; interest in professional development; and familiarity with computer applications for a study abroad office.
Job Location - City, State
- A Cover Letter and Resume/CV are required to be considered for this position. Please upload your Cover Letter where it asks you to upload your Resume/CV; multiple documents are allowed.
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
Penn GlobalPay Range
$50,684.00 - $91,232.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family’s health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn’s Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you’re newly hired, you won’t have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That’s why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University’s libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There’s always something going on at Penn, whether it’s a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you’re right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay