Job Number: 496713About Us:We are excited that you are considering joining Nova Southeastern University!
Work Type: Temporary
Location: Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
Categories: Facilities Management - Design, Construction, Maintenance, Skilled Trades
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) was founded in 1964, and is a not-for-profit, independent university with a reputation for academic excellence and innovation. Nova Southeastern University offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including tuition waiver, retirement plan, excellent medical and dental plans and much more. NSU cares about the health, welfare and its students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors and is a tobacco-free university.
We appreciate your support in making NSU the preeminent place to live, work, study and grow. Thank you for your interest in a career with Nova Southeastern University.
NSU considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status or any other legally protected status.Job Title:
Lifeguard - TEMPORARYLocation:
Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FloridaWork Type:
Hourly Subject to Grant Funding?:
No Essential Job Functions:
1. Supervise the activities of all swimmers, patrons, and user groups.
2. Communicate and enforce pool rules/regulations in a professional manner.
3. Provides emergency care and treatment as required until the arrival of emergency medical services.
4. Maintains a professional appearance and attitude at all times; carries out a high level of customer service.
5. Perform various maintenance duties as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility.
6. Assist with the setting up and breaking down of events/competitions.
7. Attend scheduled staff meetings and in-service trainings.
8. Complete a monthly swim set.
9. Perform other job duties as assigned or required. Marginal Job Functions: Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
1. Ability to recognize potentially harmful situations and take immediate and appropriate action.
2. Ability to proficiently pass announced or unannounced Audits
3. Exceptional knowledge of rescue skills and ability to perform them.
4. Must be able to communicate effectively with supervisors and staff.Job Requirements:
Must be available to work a minimum of 10 hours per week; availability must include one (1) opening shift, one (1) closing shift, and one(1) weekend shift.
Must be able to see, sit, stoop, kneel, stand, communicate, reach and manipulate objects. Lifeguards must be proficient swimmers and be able to perform proper rescue and first aid techniques. This position also requires the ability to maintain focus for multiple hours at a time.
Tools & Equipment Used:
Safety and rescue equipment, small hand tools for minor pool maintenance, phone/walkie - talkie, chemical test kit, pool vacuum, brushes, electric pressure washer, and various pool cleaning materials.Required Certifications/Licensures:
Current American Red Cross certifications in:
Administering Emergency Oxygen or ability to obtain within 30 days Required Education:
High School Diploma, GED or high school student at least 16 years of ageMajor (if required): Required Experience:
1. Six (6) months or more of experience as a lifeguard or Aquatic Instructor; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities of lifeguarding.Preferred Qualifications: Is this a safety sensitive position?
Yes Background Screening Required?
Yes Pre-Employment Conditions:
Employment is contingent upon passing a drug test and background check.Sensitivity Disclaimer:
Please be advised that this position is safety sensitive. Applicants and employees are subject to drug and alcohol testing. Violations of the University’s Drug and Alcohol-Free Workplace Policy may result in corrective action, up to and including termination of employment. NSU students should also refer to the NSU Student Handbook for guidance regarding violations of the drug-free schools and campuses policy
Advertised: Jul 21, 2020 Eastern Daylight Time