Job Number: 499677About Us:We are excited that you are considering joining Nova Southeastern University!
Work Type: Full Time with Full Benefits
Location: Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
Department: Public Safety Administration
Categories: Public Safety
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) was founded in 1964, and is a not-for-profit, independent university with a reputation for academic excellence and innovation. Nova Southeastern University offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including tuition waiver, retirement plan, excellent medical and dental plans and much more. NSU cares about the health, welfare and its students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors and is a tobacco-free university.
We appreciate your support in making NSU the preeminent place to live, work, study and grow. Thank you for your interest in a career with Nova Southeastern University.
NSU considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status or any other legally protected status.Job Title:
Public Safety Officer I - 994831Location:
Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FloridaWork Type:
Full Time with Full BenefitsJob Category:
Non-ExemptHiring Range: Pay Basis:
Hourly Subject to Grant Funding?:
No Essential Job Functions:
1. Detects and responds to safety hazards to ensure safety of employees and visitors.
2. Provides physical inspections and investigation on campus to ensure a safe environment.
3. Conduct security and safety audits to ensure that hazards and dangers are identified.
4. Conducts accident and injury investigations on campus to ensure proper record keeping of incidents.
5. Completes activity logs, incident reports to ensure proper record keeping of incidents.
6. Assist in the field training of Public Safety Officers to ensure employees are performing duties in accordance with established policies and procedures.
7. Serve as acting coordinator in the absence of the coordinator to ensure oversight is provided to staff at all times.
8. Coordinates with local law enforcement concerning the investigation of incidents, crimes, and losses.
9. Conducts fire system inspections and emergency response drills.
9. Provides for locking and unlocking access control for campus buildings.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.Marginal Job Functions:
Performs special projects as assigned.Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
1. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
2. Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
3. Ability to maintain confidential information.
4. Ability to multitask.
5. Basic computer literacy.
6. Conflict management skills.
7. Ability to work under pressure.
8. Ability to maintain composure and professionalism in stressful situations.
9. Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
10. Ability to communicate effectively with others.
11. Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues and supervisory staff at all levels.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORKING CONDITIONS:
1. May be exposed to short, intermittent, and/or prolonged periods of bending, climbing, sitting and/or standing in performance of job duties up to 8 hours.
2. May be required to accomplish job duties using various types of equipment/supplies, to include but not limited to pens, pencils and computer keyboards.
3. Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.Job Requirements: Required Certifications/Licensures:
1. Have or obtain a valid Florida Drivers License with no more than three (3) points.
2. Have a Florida "D" Security Officer License.
3. AED/CPR certification, Water Rescue certification, Homeland Security certification.Required Education:
High School Diploma or EquivalentMajor (if required): Required Experience:
1. Three (3) or more years Public Safety, Police or Military experience.
2. Satisfactory performance review rating.
3. No at fault crashes (1 year).
4. No written disciplinary action (1 year).Preferred Qualifications:
1. Parking enforcement specialist certification.
2. Previous customer service, public safety, security, or police experience.
2. Previous experience with Microsoft Office products.Is this a safety sensitive position?
Yes Background Screening Required?
Yes Pre-Employment Conditions: Sensitivity Disclaimer:
Nova Southeastern University is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
Advertised: Mar 09, 2021 Eastern Standard Time