Job Number: 500341About Us:We are excited that you are considering joining Nova Southeastern University!
Work Type: Full Time with Full Benefits
Location: Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
Categories: Administrative / Office Support
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) was founded in 1964, and is a not-for-profit, independent university with a reputation for academic excellence and innovation. Nova Southeastern University offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including tuition waiver, retirement plan, excellent medical and dental plans and much more. NSU cares about the health, welfare and its students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors and is a tobacco-free university.
We appreciate your support in making NSU the preeminent place to live, work, study and grow. Thank you for your interest in a career with Nova Southeastern University.
NSU considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status or any other legally protected status.Job Title:
Paralegal I - 999517Location:
Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FloridaWork Type:
Full Time with Full BenefitsJob Category:
Commensurate with experiencePay Basis:
Hourly Subject to Grant Funding?:
No Essential Job Functions:
The first priority of all members of the Law Center team is to serve the Law Center's faculty, students, and patrons. Each team member will not be limited by this job description in an effort to assist our constituency, but will perform tasks assigned by supervisor(s). Team members will be readily available, visible, and accessible to faculty, students and patrons, and if unable to answer an inquiry, they will ensure assistance is provided by another member of the Law Center team.
1. Meets with clients and other professionals to discuss details of case.
2. Gathers and analyzes research data, such as statutes, decisions, and legal articles, codes, and documents.
3. Investigates facts and law of cases and search pertinent sources, such as public records, to determine causes of action and to prepare cases.
4. Prepares legal documents, including briefs, pleadings, appeals, wills, contracts, and/or real estate closing statements.
5. Prepares affidavits or other documents, such as legal correspondence, and organizes and maintains documents.
6. Files pleadings with court clerk.
7. Call upon witnesses to testify at hearing.
8. Directs and coordinates law office activity, including delivery of subpoenas.
9. Keeps and monitors legal volumes to ensure that law library is up-to-date.
10. Completes special projects as assigned.
11. Performs other duties as assigned or required.Marginal Job Functions: Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
1. Clerical - General knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
2. Customer and Personal Service - Working knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of user satisfaction.
3. English Language - General knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
4. Law and Government - Working knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules, and the democratic political process.
5. General knowledge of MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word and Excel).
1. Reading Comprehension - Proficient understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
2. Active Listening - Proficient skills in giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
3. Speaking - Proficient skills in talking to others to convey information effectively.
4. Writing - Proficient skills in communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
5. Critical Thinking - Basic skills in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
6. Time Management - Proficient skills in managing one's time and the time of others.
7. Active Learning - Basic skills in understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
8. Coordination - Basic skills in adjusting actions in relation to other's actions.
9. Judgment and Decision Making - Proficient skills in considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the appropriate one.
1. Information Ordering - The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations).
2.Category Flexibility - The ability to generate or use different sets of rules for combining or grouping things in different ways.
3.Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
4. Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (including finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
1. Speech Recognition - Must be able to identify and understand the speech of another person.
2. Speech Clarity - Must be able to speak clearly so others can understand you.
3. Near Vision - Must be able to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
4. May be required to work nights or weekends.
5. Travel - Must be able to travel on a daily and/or overnight basis.
6. May be exposed to short, intermittent, and/or prolonged periods of sitting and/or standing in performance of job duties.
7. May be required to accomplish job duties using various types of equipment/supplies, to include but not limited to pens, pencils, mobile devices, and computer keyboards.Job Requirements: Required Certifications/Licensures: Required Education:
Associate's Degree or 60 College creditsMajor (if required): Required Experience:
Associates degree in Paralegal/Paralegal Certificate and four (4) years of experience
Bachelor's degree and up to two (2) years of experience.Preferred Qualifications: Is this a safety sensitive position?
No Background Screening Required?
No Pre-Employment Conditions:
To ensure a safe learning environment for students and staff, as a condition of employment the selected candidate will need to provide proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencement of employment or an approved exemption and reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons.
Nova Southeastern University is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
Advertised: Jul 21, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time