Job Number: 500663About Us:We are excited that you are considering joining Nova Southeastern University!
Work Type: Full Time with Full Benefits
Location: Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
Department: Public Safety Administration
Categories: Public Safety
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) was founded in 1964, and is a not-for-profit, independent university with a reputation for academic excellence and innovation. Nova Southeastern University offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including tuition waiver, retirement plan, excellent medical and dental plans and much more. NSU cares about the health, welfare and its students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors and is a tobacco-free university.
We appreciate your support in making NSU the preeminent place to live, work, study and grow. Thank you for your interest in a career with Nova Southeastern University.
NSU considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status or any other legally protected status.Job Title:
Emergency Management Coordinator - 999445Location:
Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FloridaWork Type:
Full Time with Full BenefitsJob Category:
Non-ExemptHiring Range: Pay Basis:
HourlySubject to Grant Funding?:
No Essential Job Functions:
1. Coordinates, educates, informs, and motivates campus constituents in emergency planning and strategies.
2. Monitors for threats to campus and communicates with campus constituents about imminent threats.
3. Assists in providing leadership for the ‘Incident Response’ and ‘Crisis Action’ Teams.
4. Assists in the maintenance of emergency response equipment and technologies.
5. Assists in developing programs, initiatives and training that promote the safety and welfare of the University community and participates in the maintenance of the University Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan.
6. Maintains and updates the University Comprehensive Emergency Management Plan (CEMP) to ensure campus plans are up-to-date and in compliance with the latest standards in emergency response.
7. Informs campus leaders of the status of campus preparedness and planning for weather-related or other unexpected emergencies.
8. Provides relevant information in a user-friendly format for dissemination as needed.
9. Develops partnerships with the University units and departments in planning and implementing emergency preparedness plans. Assist with the necessary collaboration with Building Managers and fire marshals to develop, practice, drill and test emergency action plans for campus buildings.
10. Maintains relationships with local and state EMA personnel and agencies.
11. Monitors weather and approaching storms and makes recommendations if the weather is likely to alter campus class schedules or affect campus events.
12. Assists in educating and preparing the Incident Response Team in preparation of staffing for Emergency Operations Center.
13. Assesses emergency preparedness and availability of appropriate technologies for emergency response.
14. Tests emergency communication technologies; tracks and analyzes data on the speed of communications, timing of messages and communication delays.
15. Assists in planning and coordination of drills by the Emergency Operations Center to ensure its readiness when needed.
16. Seeks feedback on emergency planning operations.
17. Utilizes and trains others in the use of two-way radios, weather radios, satellite phones and other emergency communication and notification technologies needed for effective and efficient emergency communications.
18. Stays abreast of the relevant procedures and strategies for college campuses outlined by the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and Incident Command System (ICS).
19. Assists in the conduct of after-action reviews of emergency response events, communications and significant events, and planning for campus recovery.
20. Performs similar or related duties as assigned or required.Marginal Job Functions:
Special Projects as assignedRequired Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
1. Ability to interact effectively with stakeholders at different levels
2. Ability to work well independently or in a team
3. Possess effective oral and written communication, and presentation skills
4. Have strong customer service focus
5. Demonstrates willingness to adapt to change, grow, and ability to learn quickly
6. Ability to pay attention to detail
7. Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information in a responsible manner
8. Be competent in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and other job-related computer software
9. Ability to work late nights, early mornings, and on the weekends, as needed.Job Requirements: Required Certifications/Licensures:
Have and maintain a valid Florida Driver’s License with no more than 3 pointsRequired Education:
High School Diploma or EquivalentMajor (if required): Required Experience:
High School Diploma and five (5) years of experience providing administrative support, or experience managing / coordinating functions with high level external contacts.
Associate's Degree and four (4) years of experience providing administrative support, or experience managing / coordinating functions with high level external contacts.
Bachelor's Degree and three (3) years of experience providing administrative support, or experience managing / coordinating functions with high level external contacts.Preferred Qualifications:
1. Bachelor's Degree and three (3) years of experience providing administrative support, or experience managing / coordinating functions with high level external contacts.
2. International Association of Emergency Managers Certification - Associate Emergency Manager (AEM).
3. International Association of Emergency Managers Certification - Certified Emergency Manager (CEM).
4. Previous work experience in Public Safety or law enforcement.Is this a safety sensitive position?
Yes Background Screening Required?
Yes Pre-Employment Conditions:
To ensure a safe learning environment for students and staff, as a condition of employment the selected candidate will need to provide proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencement of employment or an approved exemption and reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons.
Nova Southeastern University is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
Advertised: Aug 27, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time