Job Number: 500752About Us:We are excited that you are considering joining Nova Southeastern University!
Work Type: Full Time with Full Benefits
Location: Fort Lauderdale-Davie, Florida
Department: Schemel Translational Res Fd
Categories: Research, Service, & Sponsored Programs
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) was founded in 1964, and is a not-for-profit, independent university with a reputation for academic excellence and innovation. Nova Southeastern University offers competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including tuition waiver, retirement plan, excellent medical and dental plans and much more. NSU cares about the health, welfare and its students, faculty, staff, and campus visitors and is a tobacco-free university.
We appreciate your support in making NSU the preeminent place to live, work, study and grow. Thank you for your interest in a career with Nova Southeastern University.
NSU considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status or any other legally protected status.Job Title:
Laboratory Research Assistant III - 993025Location:
Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FloridaWork Type:
Full Time with Full BenefitsJob Category:
Commensurate with experiencePay Basis:
AnnuallySubject to Grant Funding?:
Yes Essential Job Functions:
1. Contributes to basic and applied research activities; collects, analyzes, and processes laboratory samples or research data; performs a variety of tests, using routine and/or special techniques and methods.
2. Analyzes experimental data and interprets results to write reports and summaries of findings.
3. Assists in evaluating research methods, procedures, and techniques based on established objectives.
4. Assists in preparation of technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative analyses of test results.
5. May participate in formulating research methods and suggesting options for improving quality and recommending solutions.
6. Acts as a specialist on laboratory research methods and equipment functions.
7. May participate in computer database design and utilization and research/data analysis, and suggest future improvements in data measurement.
8. Cleans, maintains, and prepares supplies and work areas.
9. Sets up, adjusts, calibrates, cleans, maintains, and troubleshoots laboratory and field equipment.
10. Orders and inventories materials to maintain supplies.
11. Provides training and assistance in the use of equipment to ensure efficient usage.
12. May lead and direct the work of others.
13. Provides and maintains a safe work environment by participating in safety programs, committees, or teams and by conducting laboratory or facility safety audits.
14. Completes special projects as assigned.
15. Performs other duties as assigned or required.Marginal Job Functions:
Assists the lab administrator with result reporting and answering of phones.Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
1. Biology - Working knowledge of plant and animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, interdependencies, and interactions with each other and the environment.
2. Chemistry – Working knowledge of the chemical composition, structure, and properties of substances and of the chemical processes and transformations that they undergo. This includes uses of chemicals and interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
3. English Language – General knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
4. Mathematics - General knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, and/or statistics, and their applications.
1. Reading Comprehension - Proficient understanding of written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
2. Active Listening - Proficient skills in giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
3. Critical Thinking - Proficient skills in using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
4. Science - Proficient skills using scientific rules and methods to solve problems.
5. Complex Problem Solving - Proficient skills in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
6. Active Learning - Proficient skills in understanding the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
7. Judgment and Decision Making - Proficient skills in considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the appropriate one.
8. Speaking - Proficient skills in talking to others to convey information effectively.
9. Systems Analysis - Proficient skills in determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations, and the environment will affect outcomes.
1. Inductive Reasoning - The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (including finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
2. Information Ordering - The ability to arrange things or actions in a certain order or pattern according to a specific rule or set of rules (e.g., patterns of numbers, letters, words, pictures, mathematical operations).
3. Selective Attention - The ability to concentrate on a task over a period of time without being distracted.
4. Category Flexibility - The ability to generate or use different sets of rules for combining or grouping things in different ways.
5. Deductive Reasoning - The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
1. Near Vision - Must be able to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
2. Speech Recognition - Must be able to identify and understand the speech of another person.
3. Speech Clarity - Must be able to speak clearly so others can understand you.
4. Travel - Must be able to travel on a daily and/or overnight basis.
5. May be required to work nights or weekends.
6. May be exposed to short, intermittent, and/or prolonged periods of sitting and/or standing in performance of job duties.
7. May be required to accomplish job duties using various types of equipment/supplies, to include but not limited to pens, pencils, and computer keyboards.Job Requirements: Required Certifications/Licensures: Required Education:
High School Diploma or EquivalentMajor (if required): Required Experience:
High School Diploma and ten (10) or more years of research laboratory experience.
Associate’s degree and eight (8) or more years of research laboratory experience.
Bachelor’s degree and five (5) or more years of research laboratory experience.Preferred Qualifications: Is this a safety sensitive position?
No Background Screening Required?
No Pre-Employment Conditions:
To ensure a safe learning environment for students and staff, as a condition of employment the selected candidate will need to provide proof of a completed COVID-19 vaccination prior to commencement of employment or an approved exemption and reasonable accommodation for medical or religious reasons.
Nova Southeastern University is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate with regard to applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
Advertised: Sep 23, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time