Job location: Hamilton Village-230 Employment Type:
Part-time Posted data:
JR00042498 University Overview
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America’s Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn’s vaccine requirements and the use of Penn Open Pass, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information. Posted Job Title
Upward Bound Writing/Reading InstructorJob Profile Title
Temporary Employee - Non-ExemptJob Description Summary
The Writing Composition and Reading Comprehension Instructor will construct lesson plans to meet the objectives of the course and teach 9th-12th grade students with no more than 25 students per class, on Saturdays 8 am – 1 pm, October-April.Job Description
The Program: Upward Bound (UB) is a college preparatory program designed to motivate and prepare students for the successful pursuit of a college education. The goal of the program is to increase the rate at which low income, first-generation-to-college students enroll in and graduate from a college or university. UB provides high school students with academic, career, and cultural enrichment resources and programming, including Saturday classes and a six-week summer residential program.
Position Description: The Writing Composition and Reading Comprehension Instructor will construct lesson plans to meet the objectives of the course and teach 9 th -12th grade students with no more than 25 students per class, on Saturdays 8 am – 1 pm, October-April.
• Instruct Writing Composition/Reading Comprehension in person on Penn campus
• Construct lesson plans for a course that supports respective PSD curriculum and organize instruction in ways that maximize UB participant learning and engagement
• Help maintain compliance with DOE UB program core component delivery mandates related to instruction component delivery and the quality of education
• Ensure that UB participant database is fully updated and accurate with data including, but not limited to, student attendance, assignment completion, and grade record information
• Responsible for building out and maintaining chosen learning management system and other Penn UB electronic content delivery and assessment platforms including course shells, master templates including syllabi, exams, banks, discussions, assignments, assessments, and grade books
• Communicate to UB senior staff requirements for ancillary electronic textbooks, handouts, supplies, equipment, and other items needed to ensure timely and cost-effective procurement
Qualifications & Essential Skills:
• Familiarity of the Philadelphia School District curriculum
• Experience teaching and/or working with Philadelphia high school students
• Ability to provide rich, interactive, mission-aligned content and creative pedagogy
• Strong interest in working with a program that serves the academic needs of low-income and future first- generation college students
Please submit your resume and cover letter within the system. Multiple attachments are allowed.Job Location - City, State
Philadelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / School
Provost Interdisciplinary ProgramsPay Range
$7.25 - $230.00
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check may be required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.