Posted: October 8, 2021
Level: Manager 1
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week
Job Posting: BOR 21-26
Closing Date: Position will remain open until filledLocation:
State Wide -Location may vary
Anticipated Start Date:
The Human Resources Generalist, under the leadership of the Director of HR Strategy, is accountable for providing on site human resources services to employees and coordinating with CSCU HR Shared Services Centers of Excellence (COE) to optimize service delivery for assigned campuses within a region. This position will collaborate with other parts of the Human Resources organization to ensure processes and programs are aligned with CSCU One-College goals and designed to deliver seamless and efficient service.
The Human Resources Generalist will report to the Regional Human Resources Manager. The position is required to have extensive collegial and collaborative relationships with professional Human Resources staff assigned to various Centers of Excellence, including Talent and Recruitment, Labor Relations, Equal Employment Opportunity, and Compensation/Benefits/HR Administration as well as with administrators, faculty and staff within the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System.
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Management, Public Administration or related field and at least three (3) years’ experience in the principles, practices and techniques of Human Resources.
Successful Candidate must have or must possess:
- Considerable knowledge of and ability to apply management principles and techniques within a matrixed organization.
- Considerable knowledge of human resources administration, labor relations, relevant state and federal laws, regulations, policies and procedures, principles and practices of job classification and organizational design and human resources information systems.
- Considerable written and oral communications skills, interpersonal skills, and negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Considerable ability to analyze and interpret laws, regulations, policies and collective bargaining agreements, strategically plan including, succession planning and aligning human resources to agency goals and objectives and recommend and implement agency-wide policy.
- Experience working in a highly unionized environment
- Experience using an HRMS system such as Core-CT
Applicants who do not meet the minimum qualifications as stated are encouraged to put in writing precisely how their background and experience have prepared them for the responsibilities of this position and by providing appropriate references. Exceptions to the degree requirements may be made for compelling reasons.
- Experience in higher education (preferred)
Example of Job Duties:
- Partners with and is accountable for successful relationships with campus leadership teams to ensure alignment of human resources support services with organizational goals and strategies.
- Advises campus leadership teams on human resources policies, procedures and mission driven strategies.
- Collaborates with campus leadership to fulfill their organizational staffing needs by ensuring accurate job classifications are used and collaborating with HR Administration to initiate refill requests and position actions.
- Collaborates with Talent and Recruitment COE, to facilitate search processes, including forming search committees and providing guidance throughout the duration of search activities.
- Partners with and is accountable for successful relationships with Talent and Recruitment, Affirmative Action, Labor Relations and Compensation/Benefits/HR Admin, COE’s to ensure seamless service for customers.
- Provides guidance to employees on various human resources matters including employment, career development, salary and benefits, labor relations, leaves of absence and retirement.
- Implements standardized employee engagement programs that support the CSCU culture and promote retention of talent and improved organizational performance.
- Delivers standardized inclusion and diversity initiatives that are responsive to organizational culture, and in line with transforming demographics.
- Executes a standardized talent management program to cultivate and develop future leaders to position the organization for sustained leadership effectiveness.
- Implements an onboarding program to ensure seamless transition for new employees and includes completion of state mandated training programs.
- Works with campus leadership to administer the performance management system,
- Assists campus leadership in addressing employee performance problems, engaging Human Resources Manager and Labor Relations COE when appropriate.
- Assists in ensuring compliance with applicable state and federal laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
- May assist, coordinate, and/or provide campus training and/or staff development programs.
- Performs related duties as required.
$72,845 – $91,056 approximate annual plus excellent State of CT medical insurance, retirement, and related fringe benefits.
To apply you must submit a cover letter, resume and names and contact information of three professional references.
Incomplete applications or those submitted after the closing date will not be considered and links to other sources to view resumes are not acceptable.
All employment, if offered, is contingent upon proof of citizenship or employability under the requirement of the Immigration and Control Act (IRCA) and the successful passing of a background check. CSCU is committed to providing a safe campus community. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check and, when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
Prior to extending an offer of employment, the finalists for state employment must prove that they (1 )are fully vaccinated against COVID-19; (2) have received the first dose and has either received a second dose or has an appointment for the second dose in a two-dose series vaccination, such as Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or has received a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine; or (3) have applied for an exemption from this requirement because a physician, physician’s assistant, or advanced practice registered nurse has determined that the administration of COVID-19 vaccine is likely to be detrimental to their health, or the finalist objects to vaccination on the basis of a sincerely held religious or spiritual belief. Each application for an exemption will be considered on an individualized, case-by-case basis, and any applicant for an exemption must provide appropriate supporting documentation if requested. Executive Order
Continuing Notice of Nondiscrimination
CSCU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious creed, age, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, ancestry, present or past history of mental disorder, learning disability or physical disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or criminal record. The following persons have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Nicholas D'Agostino Manager of Equal Employment Opportunity, [email protected]
CSCU IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, M/F