Job location: Colby College Employment Type:
Part-time Posted data:
R0000578 Job DescriptionDepartment:
BookstorePay Rate Type:
Job Summary:The merchandising clerk and cashier plays a vital role in servicing all customers of the Colby Bookstore, greeting customers, maintaining a clean organized environment, responding to inquiries regarding merchandise, and ensuring smooth operations at the cash registers. The position requires exceptional customer service skills and great flexibility to support multiple responsibilities in the Colby Bookstore. We encourage inquiries from candidates who will contribute to the diversity of our College, including its cultural and ethnic diversity.
Merchandising Clerk and Cashier
Part-Time (30 Hours), Benefited, Non-Exempt, Hourly, Staff Appointment
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for store opening
- Primary coverage for cash registers and for the smooth and accurate functioning of registers
- Maintain appropriate levels of cashier supplies such as register paper, tissue paper, and shopping bags
- Timely and accurate ordering, stocking, and processing of invoices and credits for newspapers
- Greet customers, provide front line customer service, and assist customers with merchandise selection and special gifts
- Primary responsibility for local calls to the bookstore, secondary responsibility for calls from the toll free line
- Assist with merchandise displays; displays change weekly
- Maintain photo archive of displays on shared drive
- Make seasonal merchandise swaps, such as bringing rain coats and umbrellas to the front on wet days
- Coordinate pop-up sales and special events such as commencement fair, ring ceremony, etc.
- Enter work orders as needed for store maintenance and events
- Train and oversee students and part-time cashiers as assigned
- Responsible for neat and clean store appearance, including books, clothing, and other merchandise
- Send out student employment applications, highlight and pre-screen responses
- Vet and approve bi-weekly bookstore student worker payroll
- Train and oversee students on merchandise cleaning and expiration date check
- Run training programs for staff in safety, job knowledge, customer service, etc.
- Assist in the development and implementation of procedures to improve efficiency, cut operating expenses, and improve customer relations
- Perform additional duties as assigned; duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- One to three years retail experience
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills with a high level of motivation
- Attention to detail and accuracy are critical
- Must have ability to quickly become knowledgeable about Colby Bookstore products, Colby, and the Mid-Maine area
- Work efficiently and maintain open lines of communications with faculty, staff, vendors, customers, and co-workers, including student and part-time employees
- Maintain courteous, pleasant demeanor and excellent customer service even with frequent interruptions
- Must be able to work independently, exercise judgment, and manage projects with minimal supervision as well as to adjust as new projects are assigned
- Highly developed computer skills including extensive experience using Microsoft Office Suite, email and web applications, as well as an interest in and ability to learn new programs including proprietary point of sale system
- Ability to make an impact through work as a member of a team and diverse community
Duties require the employee to interact with other campus departments, faculty, staff, parents, students, guests, and alumni.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The work environment characteristics described herein are representative of those encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to perform the essential functions.
Position involves standing, although sitting and frequent movement are necessary. Walking, standing, lifting, bending, and twisting are required. Must have the ability to lift up to 25 pounds. Computer usage involving repetitive hand/wrist motion is also necessary. Retail environment requires extensive interaction with customers. This position must be available to work weekend rotation year-round along with special College weekends (Labor Day, Memorial Day, etc.). Additional weekday hours will be needed during peak times.
Interested candidates should apply electronically by clicking the "Apply" button on the Colby College website. Please submit a letter of interest, resume, and the contact information of three professional references. Materials should be addressed to:
Merchandising Clerk and Cashier - Search Committee
Office of Human Resources
5500 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901-8855
A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.