Building Environmental Services TechnicianPosition Number::
001824Full-time or Part-time::
Student AffairsPosting Number::
$31,200.00 - $31,200.00Minimum salary::
$41,234.00Overall Position Competency::
JourneyDescription of primary duties and responsibilities::
Primary Purpose of the Organizational Unit:Description of Work Continued::
The Rudolph Jones Student Center, RJSC, is a department within the Division of Student Affairs. The mission of the department is to serve as the hub of campus life at Fayetteville State University and to enhance the collegiate experience for students by providing a venue for learning, entertainment, social interaction and opportunities for self-development. In addition to creating continuing educational and developmental opportunities for FSU students through student employment, the RJSC also houses programs and services that foster the development of an inclusive and diverse campus community. The RJSC provides a secure and accessible physical environment for meetings, conferences, workshops, and development.
Primary Purpose of the Position:Minimum Education and Experience Requirements::
The Student Center Building Environmental Service Technician is primarily responsible for cleaning, maintaining and servicing the Student Center, its lobby, lounges, officers, elevator, steps, corridors, meeting rooms, caterer kitchen, patio, amphitheater, adjacent grounds and from time to time, other facilities that the Division of Student Affairs may sponsor an activity and/or event in. The scope of the services provided by the Building Environmental Technician include:
• Set up, arrange, and remove decorations, tables, chairs, ladders, and scaffolding to prepare facilities for events such as banquets, meetings, conferences, workshops and etc…;
• Monitoring activity in/around the Student Center and reporting any discrepancies to the proper authority(ies);
• Making minor repairs to the building systems and equipment;
• Cleaning building floors and carpet by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, waxing, vacuuming and shampooing;
• Gather and empty trash;
• Service, clean and supply restrooms;
• Clean, polish and shampoo the facility furniture and fixtures;
• Clean windows, glass partitions, and mirrors, using soapy water or other cleaners, sponges, and squeegees;
• Dust furniture, walls, machines, and equipment;
• Mix water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications;
• Drive vehicles required to perform work assignment to include car, van or truck;
• Follow procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power equipment, in order to prevent damage to floors and fixtures;
• Monitor building security and safety by performing such tasks as locking doors after operating hours and checking electrical appliance use to ensure that hazards are not created;
• Move heavy furniture, equipment, and supplies, either manually or by using hand trucks;
• Notify managers concerning the need for major repairs or additions to building operating systems;
• Requisition supplies and equipment needed for cleaning and maintenance duties;
Student Center Building Environmental Service Technicians work a flexible schedule, i.e. days, nights and weekends, and are consider mission essential personnel. Work is guided by daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly schedule for general assignments and specific written and verbal instructions. Work is reviewed through inspection and frequent consultation with the individual supervisor. The student center is open seven days per week. To obtain constant coverage during hours of operation, it is necessary for staff to work two different schedules, morning and evening. Weekend work is also required for operational hours on both Saturday and Sunday.
Some knowledge of cleaning procedures, ability to follow instructions and to perform medium to heavy physical work; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Knowledge skills and abilities::
Special certification may be required for some of these positions.
Recognizes potential problems in service and address and resolves promptly and respectfully; Cleans interior of building using the appropriate cleaning equipment and cleaning solutions; Sets-up for events in timely manner, addressing possible problems and arriving at immediate solutions to prevent delays in scheduled start times; Listens to co-workers’ questions and selects an appropriate person to consult to get a workable answer that can allow for progress in accomplishing the job; Demonstrates an understanding of and maintains conditions that ensure a healthy and safe working environment; Develops and maintains effective working relationships with others in order to encourage and support communication and teamwork.Preferred Qualifications::
Minimum high school diploma or GED equivalency. Minimum two years of related experience. Knowledge of audio-visual technical equipment related to power point presentations, laptop usage and microphones.Closing Date::
10/17/2021Open Until Filled::
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.EEO Statement::
This position is subject to the successful completion of an employment background check. An employment background check includes a criminal background check, employment verification, reference checks, license verification (if applicable), academic verification and credit history check (if applicable). Veteran's Statement:
Fayetteville State University is committed to equality of educational opportunity and employment and does not discriminate against applicants, students, or employees based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status. Moreover, Fayetteville State University values diversity and actively seeks to recruit talented students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Fayetteville State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and seeks priority referrals of protected veterans for our openings.