The Director of Traditional Undergraduate Admissions will direct the full cycle recruitment process for traditional undergraduate programs at Biola University. This position is responsible: 1) to set overall enrollment goals for traditional undergraduate student populations, 2) to develop, implement, and manage traditional undergraduate recruitment strategies for all stages of the funnel in order to meet enrollment goals for incoming traditional undergraduate students, 3) to represent the traditional admissions team to the university and external constituents, 4) to lead and manage all traditional admissions staff and student workers, and 5) to manage multiple complex budgets. All activities of this position are to make a contribution to the fulfillment of the mission of the university.
Set overall enrollment goals for traditional undergraduate populations
- Use data to set measurable, realistic/budget goals as well as aspirational goals for traditional enrollment, separated by distinct traditional populations, including: freshman, transfer, freshman transfer, readmit, special students and work with International admissions to incorporate them into overall goals
- Project enrollment by distinct demographics, including: by major, by school, by counselor
- Work with associate directors to set reasonable timed goals for the admissions counselors, outreach representatives and campus visits, through tracking, implement, update and improve upon measures of accountability and reporting
Develop, implement, and manage traditional undergraduate recruitment strategies for all stages of the recruitment funnel in order to meet enrollment goals for incoming traditional undergraduate students
- Freshman Admissions: Oversee team of freshman counselors, recruiters, and staff, directly supervised by Associate Director of Freshman Admissions
- Transfer Admissions: Oversee team of transfer counselors, recruiters, and staff, directly supervised by Associate Director of Undergraduate Transfer Admissions
- Campus Visits, Events and Student Ambassadors: Oversee team of staff and student workers who run campus visits, events, the student ambassador program, and the Welcome Center (which also handles visitors and incoming calls for post-traditional, international and graduate students), supervised by the Associate Director of Admissions Events and Student Ambassadors
- Develop an annual recruitment plan for traditional undergraduate students
- Oversee territory management, ensuring that all travel location decisions are data-driven and cost-effective
- Oversee internal scholarship programs (LEAD, First Gen, Discretionary, and various department scholarships) to ensure proper allocation and stay within budget limits
- Manage admission for impacted programs (i.e. Torrey Honors College, Nursing, CMA, KHPE) to ensure funnel progression of quality applicants while not exceeding targets that would impact classroom caps
- Drive strategies to produce growth in diverse student populations in support of the Institutional Diversity Strategic Plan
Represent the traditional admissions team to the university and external constituents
- Serve as Admissions Lead Representative at university functions (i.e. Faithful Crossing Workstream meetings, TUG EMC meetings, Extraordinary Customer Service Task Force meetings, Admissions Marketing meetings, SCCCU Directors meetings and various department meetings).
- Serve as liaison to important external high school and community college constituents
Work with Associate Directors of Freshmen and Transfer Admissions, and Senior Director of Financial Aid to set scholarship and discretionary dollar amounts.
- Lead and manage all traditional admissions staff
- Lead and directly supervise four Associate Directors of Traditional Admissions and an Administrative Assistant
Associate Director of Freshman Admissions
Associate Director of Transfer Admissions
Associate Director of Outreach and Admissions
Associate Director of Campus Visits, Events and Student Ambassadors
- Lead and indirectly oversee approximately 30 traditional admissions and set vision for the work of our department.
- Provide training and professional development for all staff
Manage, monitor, and balance multiple complex budgets
- Oversee the Traditional Admissions Budget and provide leadership to Associate Directors managing budgets
- Oversee the admissions-related spending and ROI from various contingency funds (Board of Trustees, Contingency, FCI etc.)
- Collaborate with other admissions’ teams annually to request contingency funding based on the needs of the team
- Ensure marketing strategies in collaboration with University Marketing and University Communication to ensure that inquiry generation and marketing strategies align with recruitment plans
- Establish great partnership with Admissions Operations to ensure a seamless application review season.
- Work with Admissions Operations to ensure teams are using the CRM at full capacity.
- Establish great partnership with Financial Aid to ensure traditional undergraduate admissions staff are trained in all financial aid updates and to strategically award scholarships to incoming students
- Establish great partnership with the Director of International Admissions when goal-setting to ensure overall traditional undergraduate incoming enrollment projections include both domestic and global students
- Strategic leadership: Ability to set vision and establish enrollment goals for traditional undergraduate admissions.
- Staff development: Ability to support, inspire and advocate for direct reports and greater traditional undergraduate team to ensure positive team morale, longevity in tenure, and improvements on our teams.
- Cross-departmental partnership: Ability to work with various departments and constituents to meet enrollment goals.
Positive change-maker: Works to evaluate processes and make changes for the betterment of traditional undergraduate admissions.
- General: Strong interpersonal skills, task-oriented, attention to detail, organized, team-player, proactive, and self-motivated. Able to prioritize and balance multiple tasks and meet deadlines. Strong time management skills and punctual, professional decorum. Ability to ask a prospect/inquiry to take the next step toward application. Committed to the Lord and to Biola University.
- Education: A Bachelor’s Degree is required. Masters is preferred. A strong background in enrollment with increasing leadership experience is required.
Professional Experience: 10+ years admissions experience with increased level of responsibility
- Cross-Cultural Competence: Commitment to diversity and inclusivity in higher education and university admissions. Experience in, sensitivity to, and understanding of effectively working with diverse populations of students and adults, including faculty, staff, high school students, college students, parents and professionals. Demonstrates cultural humility and sensitivity
- Skills: Excellent speaking and writing skills. Able to provide quality customer service. Familiar with reporting and tracking results. Able to present the values of Biola University.
People of color and bilingual Spanish speakers are encouraged to apply
Hours Per Week: 40
Months Per Year: 12
Reports To: Associate Vice President for University Enrollment