FRESNO PACIFIC UNIVERSITY
Faculty in Teacher Education
Division Chair, Division of Teacher Education
POSITION: Full-time, with faculty rank; tenure track; 11-month faculty appointment in the School of Education.
START DATE: July 1, 2022
Applications will be reviewed beginning November 22nd and an appointment made as soon as a suitable candidate is discerned. Position is open until filled.
The Division of Teacher Education is committed to providing students a strong foundation in educational theory and pedagogical skills in the context of the Christian faith. This Christian worldview invests the program with purpose and direction; it provides a foundation for the understanding and development of excellence in teaching and responsiveness to the concerns of young people and their families and communities. The programs maintain a strong reputation within the educational community of the Central Valley as graduates are known for their excellent preparation to teach and serve in the diverse schools of the valley and beyond.
Fresno Pacific University’s (FPU) growing teacher preparation program is housed in the School of Education. FPU offers a Master of Arts in Teaching with the multiple and single subject preliminary teaching credentials. The preliminary credentials and the bilingual authorization are accredited by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. The division chair provides leadership across the Fresno, Visalia, and Merced campuses.
- Direct recruitment of new faculty, complete faculty evaluation, and support faculty development.
- The position workload is distributed as 50% administration and 50% teaching.
- Lead administrative tasks for division including course scheduling, budget, admissions processes, and clinical practice structures.
- Provide direction, leadership, and support to regional campus programs.
- Teach courses in area of expertise and lead course development initiatives.
- Direct divisional assessment and accreditation activities including university program review and CTC requirements.
- Initiate and maintain collaborative relationships with stakeholders including but not limited to public school partners, university partners, and other local agencies.
- Coordinate with university faculty and staff across departments for enrollment, marketing, student services, and other program supports.
- Maintain active involvement in CA and national teacher education policies, practices, and professional organization.
- Earned terminal degree (or completion of degree by July 1, 2022) in education or related field.
- Evidence of successful teaching and/or administrative experience in K-12 schools and/or successful teaching and/or administrative experience at the university level.
- Record or promise of scholarly achievement.
- Ability to work with students, staff, and faculty in a collegial environment.
- Ability to multi-task, solve problems, and resolve conflicts.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Experience and skill with addressing issues of educational equity.
- Commitment to the Christian faith and the University’s mission of Christ-centered teaching and learning and involvement in a local church.
Fresno Pacific University is the only accredited Christian university founded in the Central Valley. FPU connects every student’s untapped potential with unlimited opportunity for professional, personal and ethical growth. FPU offers undergraduate, graduate and seminary programs that stress solid academic preparation and a strong ethical foundation to more than 3,500 traditional and adult students on the main campus in southeast Fresno and regional campuses in North Fresno, Visalia, Bakersfield and Merced as well as online. The university also reaches about 8,000 students through professional development studies. FPU has the highest four-year graduation rate of any Central Valley college or university, and is a Hispanic Serving Institution, with a Hispanic student population of 47 percent. FPU is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and ranked in the top tier among western universities—master’s category by U.S. News & World Report. Both U.S. News and Washington Monthly include FPU on their “Best Value” and “Best Bang for the Buck” lists, U.S. News places it at number 13 in its category for student social mobility and Money has ranked it at number 11 among 50 Best Colleges for Transfer Students. FPU is affiliated with the Mennonite Brethren Church, and all employees express a personal Christian commitment and support the Christian mission of the university. A description of the unique quality of FPU as an academic community can be found in the Fresno Pacific Idea at fresno.edu/about/fpu_idea.
THE VISION AND MISSION OF THE DIVISION OF TEACHER EDUCATION
The Fresno Pacific Idea, our institutional guiding document, leads us to invest in recruiting colleagues who in their scholarship, teaching and service demonstrate experience with, knowledge of, and sensitivity to the needs of culturally diverse and oppressed communities. As a program with a core mission of equipping future educators to serve a deeply diverse student population, we seek faculty with a demonstrated commitment to work with marginalized communities and with students holding a range of worldviews.
COMPENSATION: Dependent on qualifications and experience, and paid out over 12 months. Full-time benefits include insurance (medical, vision, dental, LTD), retirement (TIAA).
APPLICATION: The link to the application is within the job description at http://www.fresno.edu/visitors/careers
Send a letter of application, a completed faculty application form (including personal statements), curriculum vita, three letters of reference (including one pastoral), and transcripts or placement file to:
Dr. Gary Gramenz
School of Education, Box 2001
Fresno Pacific University
1717 S. Chestnut Avenue
Fresno, CA 93702
OR: email FPUProv@fresno.edu
Fresno Pacific University is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, sex, age, or disability. Committed to excellence and actively supportive of cultural diversity, FPU invites individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply.