Vacancy Open to:
All CandidatesEmployment Type:
Permanent - Full-timeHours per week:
40Months per year:
013162NC Salary Grade Equivalency:
FM Technician Mechanical Trades - AdvancedWorking Title:
HVAC-R Technician 3Salary Range:
$46,681 - $52,591Anticipate Hiring Range:
$46,681 - $52,591FLSA Status:
Facilities Management (Adm)Work Unit:
FM Dining CrewWork Schedule:
8:00 am – 4:30 pm; Monday – Friday with occasional evening and weekend hours required, as necessary. Primary Purpose of Position:
This position is designated as ‘mandatory’ and, when contacted to report to work, its incumbent is expected to reach the building as expeditiously as possible using normal precautions as dictated by the adverse weather conditions, as well as other campus disruptions.
This position supports and maintains the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems and performs general equipment maintenance and repair in buildings located campus-wide, This position works at a ‘master’ level in regard to the maintenance/repair of commercial kitchen equipment. This position will also serve as one of two lead refrigeration techs for the area and, as such, will be required to cover for the Supervisor during evening and/or weekend hours, as necessary.Minimum Education/Experience:
Required Minimum Qualifications: Essential Job Duties:
Graduation from high school or equivalent. Experience in the trade(s) areas related to the position’s role may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
University Preferred Qualifications:
Graduation from high school or equivalent and four years experience. Experience in the trade(s) areas related to the position’s role may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
This position will support and maintain the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems, as well as perform general equipment maintenance and repair in buildings located campus-wide. Duties include, but are not limited to:
Other Work Responsibilities:
- Perform work at a ‘master’ level regarding the maintenance/repair of commercial kitchen equipment.
- Overhaul small reciprocal compressors, larger reciprocal, absorption, and centrifugal compressors independently.
- Use electrical test devices to troubleshoot and repair chiller electrical control circuits.
- Possess and apply strong working knowledge of commercial refrigeration.
- Record refrigerant usage used for EPA and NC reporting documentation.
- Diagnose mechanical problems and determine how to correct them, check blueprints, repair manuals, or parts catalogs, as necessary.
- Use tools ranging from common hand and power tools, such as hammers, hoists, saws, drills, and wrenches, to precision measuring instruments and electrical and electronic testing devices.
- Managing work requests using a tablet and PC device.
Perform as a lead worker and provide technical assistance and mentor other facility maintenance technicians. Departmental Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education:
Serve as one of two lead refrigeration techs for the area and cover for the supervisor during evening and/or weekend hours as necessary.
Possess strong working knowledge of equipment that uses gas, steam, and oil, as well as electrical and plumbing knowledge.
Complete work with a high level of competence and professionalism in compliance with generally accepted trade practices.
Regularly lift 50 pounds; frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds with assistance.
Perform work in high-temperature environments (over-heated kitchens, rooftops, freezers, fryers, ovens, etc.).
Perform preventive maintenance on related commercial equipment.
Perform other duties as assigned and/or delegated to support all operations.
Universal EPA/608 certification.Associates degree in HVAC. Three years’ maintenance experience to include repairing commercial cooking or refrigeration equipment.Experience using electrical test devices to troubleshoot and repair chiller electrical control circuits.Experience overhauling small reciprocal compressors, larger reciprocal, absorption, and centrifugal compressors.Possess strong working knowledge of commercial refrigeration.Possess working knowledge of commercial food service.Experience diagnosing mechanical problems and reading schematics to troubleshoot.Experience performing preventive maintenance on required equipment.Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. regularly.Ability to climb ladders and work on elevated platforms.Good driving record. Ability to work independently. Excellent customer service skills. Ability to effectively communicate the English language (reading, writing, interpretation, and comprehension) required. Effective skills in verbal, written, and interpersonal communications. Computer literate. Knowledge and skill with Google Chrome and Microsoft Word, and willingness to learn new programs. Ability to effectively work/interact with persons from different backgrounds and cultures. Ability to foster and create an atmosphere of teamwork. The selected candidate must have the mental and physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.Necessary Licenses or Certifications:
- Positions may be required to possess and maintain required certification, licensure, educational level, and/or experience criteria as applicable to the tasks being performed and follow applicable building codes, with certifications in gas, water, steam, and refrigeration.
- Valid driver’s license.
FM - Dining CrewPosting date:
10/17/2021Special Notes to Applicants:
Please ensure your full range of knowledge, skills, abilities, experience, and education are listed on your application.
- Do not write ‘see resume’ on your application when completing the job duties section.
If you answer the questions at the end of the application, please ensure your application reflects the knowledge, skills, abilities, and experiences to support your answers (see job duties section of previous employment).
- Failure to answer the questions at the end of the application will not preclude your application from being considered but may result in your application not receiving full consideration of your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
- These documents will be used to evaluate your written communication skills as well as supporting documents of your knowledge, skills, abilities, education, and professional experience.