Job no: 518440
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine, Veteran's Preference Eligible
Department:28311105 - VM-OPERATING ROOM SERVICES
Vet OR Surgical Tchn I/II (CARE)
The AAHA accredited Small Animal Hospital is recruiting for an operating room technician to join our growing team. The OR team supports services throughout the hospital especially our surgery and anesthesia services. This position assists with surgical procedures and perform routine nursing care such as surgical preparation, aseptic technique, and patient handling and restraint. This person will ensure charges are inputted and records are complete. Our mission is to provide world-class patient care, exemplary client and referring veterinarian communication, and the best possible education for our students and the profession.
A person in this position must possess excellent communication skills and be proactive in determining the needs of the patient and surgeon. A successful applicant should enjoy learning new things and can quickly adapt to a changing environment. They need to possess a good base knowledge of surgical instrumentation and aseptic technique and express a positive attitude in their daily work. The individual must be able to communicate effectively, demonstrate critical thinking and professionalism.
This is a full-time benefited position and requires a post offer health assessment.
A key role for this position is to assist with surgical procedures as needed and ensure all tasks are completed for cases. The expectation is that the individual will communicate effectively with services to determine the needs and priorities for the case. They will assist other services to ensure cases are on time and the schedule is not delayed. They must become familiar with instrumentation and sterile technique and be able to be proactive in meeting the needs of the surgeons. The person also will bring in the area a positive “can do” attitude and help all areas to ensure the cases are complete in a timely fashion.
Examples of this include but not limited to the following:
• Performs surgical nursing care functions on patients such as surgical preparation, aseptic technique, and pre-surgical treatments.
• Ensure patents are prepped in a timely fashion to keep the schedule on time.
• Assembles surgical supplies and equipment needed for surgical procedures.
• Prepares surgical instrument table.
• Maintains aseptic techniques and actively monitors situations which could lead to breaches in aseptic technique.
• Assist anesthesia and services by properly restraining patients, setting up or breaking down equipment or supplies, or assisting in transporting patients throughout hospital.
• Properly package and wrap instruments in accordance with hospital specifications.
• May require working alternate shifts, holidays or “on-call duty”.
• Performs related duties as required.
• Input charges in a timely manner.
Sterile supply is a core area of surgery and the hospital ensures instruments, equipment, and supplies are readily available and in good working order. It is important that OR staff are cross trained and understand sterile supply so they have a better knowledge of the items in the OR and how to properly care for them. Staff will be rotated through sterile supply on a regular basis and are expected to assist in the area when needed.
Examples of this include but not limited to the following:
• Responsible for keeping Sterile Supply and adjacent areas cleaned. This includes but not limited to regular sweeping, mopping and dusting.
• Exhibit excellent customer relation skills in interacting with clinicians, staff, students, and other customers. Use effective communication skills.
• Enter charges into Cornerstone.
• Check for expiration dates and stock supplies when needed.
• Empty trash cans and laundry daily.
• Ensure area is locked up at end of day.
• Cleans, prepares, wraps, labels, and sterilizes surgical packs, equipment and fluids.
• Detailed orientated and ability to recognize instruments and equipment that are not functioning properly and alert supervisor.
• Distributes sterile equipment and supplies to the operating rooms.
• Operates and maintains gas, steam and chemical sterilizers, gas aerator, ultrasonic cleaner, instrument washers, heat sealers, and other mechanical, electronic, and surgical equipment.
• Make sure equipment is maintained and in working order. Inform supervisor of any repairs needed after troubleshooting.
• Assist with processing laundry.
Responsible for uncompromising levels of cleanliness throughout the service while creating a safe and accident free environment. The overall aesthetics of the hospital area is a direct reflection on the high quality care we provide so it is important the areas are kept in pristine condition.
Examples of work include but are not limited to the following:
• Practice appropriate infection control by managing biohazardous patient care items and lab specimens appropriately.
• Cleaning and upkeep of areas utilized by surgery such as the OR suites, sterile supply, prep room, and Cath lab.
• Maintain and keep all work and break areas cleaned and organized.
• Deep clean surgical suites on a regular basis.
• Maintain equipment within room and report broken or malfunctioning equipment to the appropriate manager.
• Check supplies for expiration date and stock supplies when needed.
• Submit work orders as needed to the appropriate hospital personnel and notify the manager of the submission.
• Ensure areas are cleaned every day and as needed including all surfaces that are regular touched.
• Sweep and mop floors
• Disinfect and clean equipment
• Take out trash and recyclables
Schedule may change due to covering other shifts. May require working earlier than 8:00 am or later than 5:00 pm. Will participate in holiday schedule for covering the emergency and critical care areas. Will be part of the Emergency Response Team. Some weekend duty may be required.
$15.00 to $18.00/hour; salary based on experience
Veterinary OR Surgical Technician I:
High School Diploma/GED or equivalent.
Veterinary OR Surgical Technician II:
High School Diploma/GED or equivalent and two (2) years of appropriate experience or college coursework in a related field.
Graduate from an accredited American Veterinary Medical Association program for veterinary technology OR
Credentialed veterinary technician OR
Certified as a Surgical technologists
Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to be considered, you must upload your resume and list of references.
This is a CARE position offering limited benefits, including health insurance and paid time off.
This position is considered essential personnel.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
This position is eligible for veteran’s preference. If you are claiming veteran’s preference, please upload a copy of your DD 214 Member Copy 4 with your application for consideration. See our Veteran's Preference Page for more specific information.
This position has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply.
Health Assessment Required:
Must be able to life a minimum of 50 pounds, bend, kneel, pull, push, twist and stand for extended periods of time.
Advertised: 04 Nov 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 17 Nov 2021 Eastern Standard Time