ENGR-Env Civil Agr & MechAbout the University of Georgia:
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities, is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (https://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 15 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,700 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 39,000 students including over 30,000 undergraduates and over 9,000 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 18 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/Department:
The College of Engineering at the University of Georgia is one of the fastest growing programs at UGA and one of the fastest growing public colleges of engineering in the nation. Since our founding in 2012, enrollment in the College of Engineering has grown to over 2,400 students. Students and faculty alike are attracted to our setting in a comprehensive, land-grant, research institution that’s consistently ranked among the 20 best public universities in the nation. The rapidly expanding UGA engineering program focuses on opportunities for learning, discovery and innovation at the confluence of disciplines.Posting Type:
The School of Environmental, Civil, Agricultural and Mechanical Engineering is building a vibrant academic environment that fosters engineering education in a liberal arts environment and research that addresses critical societal needs. The School offers undergraduate and graduate engineering degree programs in agricultural engineering, civil engineering, environmental engineering and mechanical engineering and has grown rapidly to nearly 1500 undergraduate and graduate students and 43 faculty members.
Minorities & FemalesAdvertised Salary:
$75,000 - $80,000Anticipated Start Date:
01/03/2022Job Posting Date:
09/30/2021Open until filled:
YesSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants are asked to submit the following information along with their application:
- A detailed curriculum vita.
- A cover letter (not to exceed one page) addressing the candidate’s experience relative to the responsibilities of the position.
- The names, titles, and contact information for three professional references.
- A teaching statement not to exceed 2 pages.
Applications received by November 1, 2021, are assured of full consideration, however position will remain open until filled.
Questions related to the position may be directed to Dr. James Warnock at [email protected]Location of Vacancy:
Athens Area EEO Statement:
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR ([email protected]).Classification Title:
Academic (9 mo.)Tenure Status:
Non-Tenure TrackMinimum Qualifications:
A Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a related degree is preferred.Position Summary:
The School of Environmental, Civil, Agricultural and Mechanical Engineering at the University of Georgia (UGA) invites applications for two 9-month non-tenure-track lecturer positions to begin January 2022. One position will be in the discipline of Engineering Mechanics, while the other will be in the discipline of Civil Engineering. We seek highly qualified applicants with a strong commitment to excellence in teaching and the ability to teach at all levels.In this role, the selected candidate will work under the direct supervision of Dr. Bjorn Birgisson, incoming Chair of the School of Environmental, Civil, Agricultural and Mechanical Engineering (ECAM). This invitation is for the candidate to join a multidisciplinary team of researchers and professors. The position will be based on UGA’s main campus in Athens, GA. Relevant/Preferred Education, Experience, Licensure, and/or Certification:
Programs within the School of Environmental, Civil, Agricultural and Mechanical Engineering are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. According to the ABET criteria, “The program must demonstrate that the faculty members are of sufficient number and they have the competencies to cover all of the curricular areas of the program.”
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies:
- Ideal candidates will have relevant civil, construction, or mechanical engineering industry first-hand knowledge and/or familiarity teaching core courses in an undergraduate degree program.
- Previous practice teaching general engineering courses (engineering graphics, engineering computation/programming, engineering mechanics) or civil engineering specific courses (structural engineering, civil/construction engineering materials, and building information modeling) is preferred.
- Applicants with a Professional Engineering License or the ability to acquire one within a reasonable amount of time are desirable.
Is this a Position of Trust?:
- Competitive candidates will be able to demonstrate:
- Commitment to a diverse, equitable and inclusive working environment.
- An ability to work as part of a team and create a collaborative and inclusive environment.
- An ability to communicate effectively in written and oral formats.
- Knowledge of modern pedagogical practices.
- Promise of excellence in classroom instruction and knowledge of modern pedagogical practices.
- Evidence of a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through scholarship, teaching, and/or service endeavors.
NoDoes this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?:
NoDoes this position require a P-Card? :
NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? :
NoIs driving a responsibility of this position?:
NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?:
NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications):
NoCredit and P-Card policy:
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.