PG191246EPInternal Recruitment :
Assistant Professor - Graphic & Industrial DesignAnticipated Hiring Range:
$70,000 - $75,000Work Schedule:
Varies, depending on course scheduleJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Graphic & Industrial DesignAbout the Department:
The Department of Graphic Design and Industrial Design within the College of Design provides teaching, research, and scholarship within the discipline of Graphic Design and Industrial Design.Essential Job Duties:
The College of Design offers comprehensive undergraduate and graduate study in architecture, art + design, graphic and industrial design, and graduate studies in landscape architecture, through several degree programs, including the Ph.D. in Design and Doctor of Design. The College employs a selective admissions process that ensures a highly motivated and diverse design community. As a result, entering design students consistently rank at the top of academic achievement at the University, and their graduate rate is the highest at NC State University.
The ideal candidate is knowledgeable in the areas of user experience design or interaction design with professional experience or teaching experience, and proficient in industry-standard software and methods for prototyping and production in Graphic Design, Typography, Interaction Design, Web Design, User Experience Design, User Interface Design, and Mobile Application Design. The successful candidate will teach and advise students in the Graphic Design Program, from introductory to graduate level. Faculty are expected to maintain current knowledge and skills related to their field. Additional responsibilities include curriculum development, participating in recruitment efforts, and engaging in service to the program, college, university, community, and profession.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Teaching UXD & IxD-related courses in the Graphic Design Program
- Developing programmatic curriculum with special emphasis on the undergraduate Graphic Design Program
- Participate in MGD graduate reviews and committees
- Develop and maintain an active and significant research record
- Advising, committee work, and other professional and university service
- Ability and interest to teach graphic design-related content in the Foundations curriculum
Perform other related duties as assigned by the department head.Minimum Education and Experience:
A terminal degree (MGD/MDes/MFA or PhD) in Graphic Design, Experience Design, Visual Communication, or equivalent field of study from an accredited (recognized equivalent) university completed by June 30, 2022. Other Required Qualifications:
Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to inclusion and excellence in teaching, research, professional activities, and service that will make them vital contributors to a shared curricular vision.
- One–two years of professional design experience
- Knowledge of UXD/IxD workflows and research methods; coding a plus
- Conversant with emerging technologies
- Grounded in contemporary design concepts, principles, practices, methods, and tools across a range of media
- Able to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, creative, and scholarly activities, teaching, advising and service
Required License(s) or Certification(s):
- Expert knowledge of emerging technologies
- Expert skills in UXD/IxD workflows and methods of production, including coding
- One–two years of teaching experience in Graphic Design or related field at the university level (may include teaching assistantships)
- Effective as a mentor and advisor of students
- Record of active participation in professional organizations
- Able to collaborate in curricular development that integrates current practices from design industries with a cross-disciplinary approach
- Skilled as a cross-disciplinary collaborator who can advance and advocate for design across campus
- Strong advocate for a diverse and inclusive academic community
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
09/29/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until FilledSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants are required to submit a letter of intent describing qualifications and interests along with resume/cv and digital portfolio or portfolio link via online application. Note that digital portfolios and research publications may be submitted as “Other Documents.” Do not submit these materials via email. Position Number:
Inquiries and nominations can be emailed to Deborah Littlejohn at [email protected]
The review of applications will begin on October 29, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled.
Tenured/Tenure-Track FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
9 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
120301 - Graphic & Industrial DesignAA/EEO:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.