The Company At Unity, sustainability isn’t a buzzword. It’s the foundation of our entire approach and has been for more than 50 years. We apply sustainability principles to everything we do, from our properties around the State of Maine, to our online degrees offered to students everywhere, to our enrichment experiences and entrepreneurial endeavors at locations from northern Maine to Arizona to Brazil. Engage with Unity College and you’ll start to ask tough questions, challenge the status quo, and envision new possibilities. If taking the lead in creating a more sustainable future sounds like the future you want, we can make it happen. The Position
The Executive Assistant to the President is responsible for the overall operation of the President’s Office and support of the President in his official responsibilities of the office. This may include analysis, research, preparation, and editing of a variety of reports and presentations. The Executive Assistant primarily provides professional administrative support, manages all of the President’s office operations, supports in Board efforts as needed, maintains the President’s communications and calendar, logistics, budget tracking, developing and proofing reports and taking meeting minutes. The Executive Assistant to the President also greets visitors, answers phones, files, performs computer work, photocopies and provides other office support.POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Creates and maintains interrelated administrative, confidential and legal filing systems and records, including, but not limited to, historical and legal records of the College, the President’s correspondence, personnel records, and records of employee, student, and vendor correspondence.
- Answers inquiries independently where there is established policy or precedent.
- Maintains department budget; prepares correspondence for the president by composing letters and/or memos; sets up travel arrangements; reconciles expense reports as needed.
- Coordinates Board of Trustee Candidate visits and supports with Board relations as needed.
- Coordinates luncheons, receptions, and campus wide events and meetings for the President as needed.
- Assists the Secretary to the Board in preparation of Board Meetings, both committee level and Quarterly meetings.
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality in relationships with all board members.
- Maintains confidentiality and exercises discretion with private and/or sensitive information.
- Receives, compiles and maintains confidential documents and records on behalf of the Office of the President.
- Understand, explain and enthusiastically support the College’s environmental mission when engaging internal and external constituencies.
- Assists with and oversees the budget activities of the office; monitors expenditures of funds, initiates fund transfers and other procedures necessary to maintain sound day-to-day budget activities.
- Maintains a database of key individuals as directed by the President for his use.
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows through on projects to their successful completion.
- Coordinates with the Vice Presidents and Chief Officers to ensure calendar, and other functional collaborations are solidified.
- Performs a wide range of advanced clerical duties related to the operation of the office; serves as liaison between the President and the President’s direct reports and other offices at the College; serves in a liaison and/or resource capacity on projects and assignments.
- Screens incoming calls and visitors, referring them to the President or the appropriate staff, providing information as appropriate, or taking accurate and complete messages. Provides liaison functions between the President and staff at all levels, Trustees, and members of the public who contact the office.
- Reviews and routes requests for information or complaints to the appropriate area of the College.
- Schedules meetings and conferences, sets up appointments, and may represent the President at meetings to obtain information relevant to the President’s responsibilities.
- Opens and routes mail to the President, and other staff; drafts responses as needed.
- Serve as a resource to other offices for information, policy and practice orientation, and general file materials.
- Take minutes at meetings called by the President.
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures with leadership.
- Other duties as assigned.
POSITION SPECIFIC EDUCATION, SKILLS AND COMPENTCIES:
- Bachelor’s degree in a business field and four years of experience in performing professional level work in the field. Acceptable is an equivalent combination of education and qualifying professional experience that would provide the skills, knowledge, and ability needed to fulfill the duties assigned to the position.
- Knowledge of modern executive office management, practices procedures and equipment. Basic arithmetical proficiency. Basic research methods and techniques.
- Must exhibit enthusiastic support or passion for the environmental mission of the College.
- Ability to embody both internal and external marketing and communications and conduct self professionally.
- Must be ready and able to learn and communicate the background and substance of the College mission, including the definition sustainability science and basic aspects of climate change as it relates to mitigation, adaptation, and resilience.
- Ability to prepare and maintain accurate and complete records and files.
- Ability to interpret and apply a variety of rules, regulations, statutes, policies and procedures relating to College operations.
- Ability to maintain the highest confidentiality of information and materials.
- Availability to work outside of normal business hours as needed
- Team player with the ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with coworkers, staff, faculty and administrators.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion analyzing and resolving confidential, difficult and sensitive situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in the utilization of standard office productivity software programs (e.g., MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, email), personal computers, and the Internet.
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to and respect for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of Unity Colleges’ students, faculty, staff and community.
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being discreet, courteous and well poised.
- Experience providing administrative support to C-suite or other senior executives (or comparable experience);
- Experience with technology and software systems, including file sharing systems, such as Dropbox, google docs, and Microsoft Office SharePoint is highly desirable