The Controller is the lead accountant in charge of overseeing the day-to-day business operations of Unity College while ensuring compliance with all policies, procedures, controls, and reporting regulations, including those at remote locations. The Controller works with the Director of the Business Office, Enterprise and Sustainable Educational Business Unit (SEBU) managers in support of the College's mission and strategic plan.
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Manages the monthly, quarterly, and annual closing processes.
- Reconcile cash and investment accounts monthly.
- Manages grant revenues and expenses.
- Assists with monthly budget reporting, including budget to actual variance analysis.
- Runs departmental reports and sends to department managers.
- Compiles, analyzes, and reconciles financial information including preparation of journal entries and financial statements.
- Approves accounts payable batches.
- Verifies and approves bi-weekly TIAA upload.
- Reviews bank transactions daily.
- Verifies and approves daily deposits.
- Oversees fixed assets.
- Assists in gathering data for yearly audit.
- Supervises up to 3 assigned personnel, providing support and direction as needed.
- Additional tasks as needed to assist the Director of the Business Office.
UNITY COLLEGE INSTITUTIONAL RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Demonstrates commitment to Unity College's core values and serves as a role model for the College's standards of conduct.
- Contributes to the College's commitment to sustainability and contributes to the College's commitment to support a diverse and inclusive working and learning environment.
- Follows safety and infection control policies while assisting with their enforcement.
- Assumes responsibility to maintain and upgrade professional knowledge and skills with regulations, industry trends, current practices, new developments, and applicable laws. In addition to actively participating in Unity College Professional Development days and Unity College required annual trainings.
- Demonstrates a high degree of commitment to customer service and student success.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To be successful in this position you must be able to execute each of the position specific responsibilities while meeting the position expectations.
Additionally, the position specific education, skills and competencies listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability needed. Reasonable accommodations may be made upon approval by the supervisor and Director of Human Resources, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
POSITION SPECIFIC EDUCATION, SKILLS AND COMPENTCIES:
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in accounting or finance.
- 3-5 years' experience working in the accounting industry.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong numeracy and analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Understanding of and the ability to adhere to generally accepted accounting principles.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or similar software, and accounting software.
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being discreet, courteous, and well poised.
WORK SCHEDULE / AVAILABILITY REQUIREMENTS
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and can include days, evenings, and weekends. Working extended hours required as needed. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling responsibilities and meeting the College's needs. Although Unity College employees are generally scheduled to work at their specifically assigned locations, there are times when travel is necessary and employees are required from time to time to attend events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any Unity College location.
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for repetitive movements such as grasping and turning, and fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the telephone for internal and external communications.
Work is performed mostly in an office setting. The noise level in the work environment is normally moderate. Exposure to changes of temperature or humidity 1-33% of the time.
POSITIONS AT UNITY COLLEGE ARE DEPENDENT ON THEIR VIABILITY AND AN ESTABLISHED VIABILITY MATRIX. THE VIABILITY MATRIX FOR THIS POSITION IS:
- Unity College realizes the Enterprise Model by becoming and remaining a matrix organization with multiple independent Sustainable Education Business Units (SEBU's).
- Unity College reaches at least a 35M total annual operating budget.
- Unity College has at least one academically focused SEBU.
- The Business Function continues to be centralized.
- There continues to be enthusiastic support of the enterprise model.
- The Business Office remains critical to Unity College's competitive advantage.