The Facilities and Safety Technician performs manual work necessary to maintain cleanliness, safety, orderliness, appearance and repair of campus grounds, roads, walks and buildings. They are also responsible for the safety of all Unity College students, employees and property by patrolling all college facilities. Work is performed within established procedures under both written and verbal instructions. This position performs skilled preventative and corrective maintenance on building systems in a learning college environment. This position responds to security radio, telephone and/or RAVE notifications and completes walkthroughs of workplace buildings and residence halls. The Facilities and Safety Technician also works closely with Student Success to ensure the health and wellbeing of Unity College's students.
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Models appropriate workplace behavior and appearance of the department ensuring they reflect the values of Unity College.
- Patrols assigned areas on foot, or in motor vehicle to ensure that personnel, buildings, grounds and equipment are secure.
- Remains alert for the presence of unauthorized persons and/or college policy violators; approaches suspicious persons and/or notifies police as appropriate; monitors violators until police arrive.
- Responds to all campus emergencies including bomb threats, fire alarms, intrusion alarms, etc.
- Examines doors, windows, and ensures security; monitors closed buildings for unauthorized persons and/or suspicious activities.
- Secures all buildings according to established procedures.
- Inspects boiler rooms and oil storage tanks according to established procedures.
- Patrols and monitors assigned parking areas and J-Lot cameras to ensure all is secure. Reporting malfunctions as required.
- Performs periodic checks of emergency call boxes and night lights to ensure proper functioning; reporting malfunctions as required.
- Clearly and consistently update daily electronic log with all incidents on each shift and initials entries. The entries should contain all pertinent information including names and contact information of perpetrators, victims and witnesses.
- Maintain effective working relationships with appropriate personnel in state and county law enforcement agencies.
- Monitors campus fire alarms and life safety systems including inspections and documentations.
- Identifies, investigates, and resolves security breaches.
- Maintains Public Safety Evidence and Weapons room. Conducts a monthly inventory of both rooms and disposes of any evidence as required. Reports any discrepancies in the weapons room inventory.
- Conduct safety checks as required.
- Participate on the Emergency Response Team as appropriate.
- Conducts fire drills for all buildings as required.
- Conduct short term investigations of incidents as appropriate and complete written reports.
- Maintain communications at all time while on duty via a college cell phone and two-way radio.
- Pro-actively communicate challenges, successes, and failures with leadership.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Works to establish a safe and healthful campus environment for students, staff and faculty.
- Performs repairs and/or remodeling projects such as painting, replacing restroom fixtures, makes keys, installs and repairs locksets, maintains and adjusts hardware; prepares and hangs doors; maintains and replaces equipment such as toilet supplies, lighting fixtures, air filters, floor drains, faucets and flush valves; fabricates, welds and repairs college owned equipment.
- Monitors, maintains, troubleshoots and repairs problems with the building systems to ensure proper operation including mechanical, plumbing, electrical, life safety, and energy management systems.
- Performs preventive maintenance on air conditioning systems, water treatment systems, refrigeration equipment, roofs, departmental tools and coordinates and supervises work performed by outside contractors for maintenance and construction.
- Utilize a variety of tools and equipment in the areas of painting, carpentry, plumbing and grounds maintenance.
- Perform routine duties generally associated with grounds work, including, but not limited to, mowing, edging, watering, planting and trimming foliage, preparing and maintaining beds for shrubs and ground cover and cleanup of Unity College owned grounds.
- Responsible for maintenance and upkeep of grounds equipment.
- Assist in the removal of snow, ice, and other debris from walkways, roads and parking areas.
- Completes all tasks with strict regard for safety procedures and wears appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Participates in routine safety audits.
- Assists with the management of minor projects on campus as assigned.
- Assists with summer programs as needed.
- Supports special events as required.
- Completes tasks through a work order (CMMS) system as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
POSITION SPECIFIC EDUCATION, SKILLS AND COMPENTCIES:
- High School diploma or GED and two (2) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be ethical, and flexible and present a positive attitude.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos.
- Ability to communicate clearly in verbal and written forms.
- Must be familiar with Microsoft applications; Word and Excel.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in standardized situations.
- Employ critical thinking and active listening skills.
- Must be a team player and have the ability to work independently.
- Must have a valid driver's license and a good driving record.
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of the college.
- Ability to function effectively within a matrix organizational structure, maintaining open lines of communication while being discreet, courteous and well poised.
- Ability to look for ways to improve efficiencies.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, safety data sheets, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Basic computer skills are required for email, timekeeping system, work orders and other miscellaneous functions as required.
- 1 -2 years of maintenance or public safety experience preferred.
WORK SCHEDULE / AVAILABILITY REQUIREMENTS
Work hours are specific to the requirements of this position and can include days, evenings, and weekends, sometimes shifts are assigned with short notice. Working extended hours required as needed. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling responsibilities and meeting the College's needs. Although Unity College employees are generally scheduled to work at their specifically assigned locations, there are times when travel is necessary and employees are required from time to time to attend events, meetings or work temporary assignment at any Unity College location.
This position is considered “essential” to the college and not eligible for administrative closings.
While performing the duties of this job, it is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. and up to 100 lbs. with the use of designated moving equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The use of either hand for repetitive movements such as grasping, grasping and turning, and fine manipulation is required as is the ability to use the telephone for internal and external communications.
This job requires a mix of office work, driving, performing rounds outdoors and indoors in all types of weather. While performing the duties of this position, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts, in high, precarious places and in occasional severe outside weather conditions. Is occasionally exposed to wet, cold, and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk or electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate, though sometimes the noise level is high when using equipment for long periods of time