: Budget and Accounting ServicesLocations:
: Des Plaines, ILPosted:
: Sep 21, 2021Closes:
: Open Until FilledType:
: Part Time StaffPosition ID:
About Oakton Community College :
For 50 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under general supervision, receive and process all incoming cash for the college. Maintain and justify cash receipts with computer print-out, record and prepare petty cash distribution and refunds, identify checks returned from the bank and provide routine information at the cashier's window requiring use of independent judgment and knowledge of college procedures and policies. Assist and refer students with payment problems.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Receive and record on computer incoming tuition payments.
- Balance and reconcile employee check cashing and petty cash account weekly and prepare petty cash distribution.
- Justify and record bank deposits and identify checks returned for insufficient funds. Contact students by mail regarding NSF checks and send to collections, when appropriate.
- Journalize, by entering on the computer, incoming monies from the Bookstore, Cafeteria, BSA and the Box Office.
- Provide routine information in person or by telephone to students, faculty, staff and others and refer them to appropriate person if necessary.
- Investigate problems with student accounts and work with enrollment center, if applicable, to resolve them.
- Record parking fines and payments. Indicate on student record registration restrictions due to unpaid fines.
- Manually, enroll students in payment plan using Ucommerce in Touchnet system.
- Process employee tuition waivers by verifying amounts and applying payment to the student's account in Banner.
- Balance cashier's drawers and prepare bank deposits, daily.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Working Conditions:
- High school education or an equivalent combination of education from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is necessary.
- One year cash handling experience required; related training in accounting functions is desirable.
- Bookkeeping and/or accounting course work or training is preferred.
- Must be able to regularly explain policies, write and edit reports.
- Requires the ability to mentally attend to and visually concentrate on a substantial amount of detail work.
- May require lifting of up to 10 pounds.
- General office work environment. Little exposure if any to adverse working conditions.
Functional supervision is received from the Bursar. Administrative supervision is received from the Controller.
Functional supervision may be exercised over one student employee.
HOURS: Monday - Friday 12:15 PM - 5:15 PM (25 hours per week)
SALARY: $20.95 Starting salary may change due to the completion of staff negotiations
Oakton Community College requires all employees to adhere to a Vaccination /Testing Mandate and Mask Requirement.
Oakton Community College does not currently have a work form home policy and employees, are required to report to campus.
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.