Department: Recreation, Tourism, and Sport Management Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialization(s): Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management Search # 22-013
Located in historic New Haven, a city rich in art and culture, Southern Connecticut State University is a diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus-wide commitment to social justice. SCSU is an innovative, student-centric university, located less than three miles from downtown New Haven, with easy access to New York and Boston.
The Department of Recreation, Tourism, & Sport Management recently received approval for a BS degree in tourism, hospitality, and event management following several years operating as a concentration in the recreation and leisure studies degree program. In accordance with COAPRT standards, the department is now seeking a second full time tenure track faculty member. The RTSM department offers undergraduate degrees in Recreation & Leisure Studies, Sport Management and Tourism, Hospitality, & Event Management. Additionally, the Department offers graduate degrees in Sport & Entertainment Management, Recreation Administration, and Recreation Therapy.
Brief Description of Duties/Responsibilities:
Southern Connecticut State University invites applications from individuals who believe in the mission of public higher education and are committed to outstanding teaching and scholarship/creative activity. Successful candidates will be disciplinary scholars devoted to a student-centric approach.
Southern Connecticut State University is accepting applications for a tenure track Assistant Professor appointment in the Recreation, Tourism, and Sport Management Department beginning August 23, 2022. The successful candidate will teach undergraduate courses in the core areas of the tourism, hospitality, and event management curriculum, as well as specialization courses commensurate with applicant background and experience. The department will entertain applicants with a broad cross-section of expertise. Candidates with an educational and professional background in hospitality management are encouraged to apply. Additional responsibilities include student advisement; department, college, and university service; scholarship/creative activity; and professional activity.
- Earned doctorate or ABD and a minimum of one degree in the field of tourism, hospitality, or event management. If ABD, candidate must have earned doctorate by the time of appointment.
- Teaching experience that aligns with the current Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management curriculum.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to engage in meaningful scholarship/creative activity, leading to presentations at professional meetings and publications in peer-reviewed journals in the disciplines.
- Equivalent of two or more years of experience teaching college-level courses.
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching and mentoring of undergraduate students.
- Demonstrated effectiveness with teaching in a variety of formats (on-ground, hybrid, online).
- Demonstrated record of scholarship/creative activity.
- Professional work e
- xperience in academic program development/coordination.
Please electronically submit a letter of interest, current curriculum vitae, official graduate transcripts, statement of teaching philosophy, and a list of three professional references, to: RTSM Search Chair at [email protected] Best consideration will be given to complete applications received by Friday, October 29, 2021. The position will remain open until filled.
SCSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.