Departmental Assistant (Auxiliary Enterprise Warehouse)
- University of Massachusetts Amherst
- UMass Amherst
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Job no: 510341
Work type: Hourly
Location: UMass Amherst
Categories: Food Service/Hospitality
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Performs tasks involved in the receipt, storage, and transfer of goods into and out of the assigned area; assists in maintaining inventories and related records.
- Performs manual labor in a stockroom, storeroom or warehouse such as loading or unloading freight, unpacking and storing goods, filling requisition orders, weighing and packing materials, and cleaning and organizing the storeroom area.
- Assists in taking inventories using standard forms and established procedures.
- Check items received against orders and reporting discrepancies using established forms and procedures.
- Keep accurate records of all goods received using standard forms and procedures.
- Train and supervise students in receiving and related work following established policies and procedures.
- Operates mechanical or power-driven equipment such as skid jacks and dollies to move material.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Class D drivers license
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to understand and apply the laws rules regulations, policies, procedures, specifications, standards and guidelines governing the assigned area.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Physical stamina and endurance necessary to perform physical labor in adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to keep accurate records.
- Knowledge of standard storekeeping methods and practices, including the receipt, storage, issuance and delivery of stock items.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of materials handling equipment used in storekeeping.
- Knowledge of the principles and methods of inventory control of material and supplies.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Some experience with forklift and pallet jack operation preferred.
- Hoisting license preferred.
Varies based on department needs.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Aug 26 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
The University of Massachusetts Amherst is one of the preeminent public research universities in America. Nestled in idyllic Amherst, Massachusetts—often called “The top college town in North America”—the campus is consistently ranked among the top public research universities in the nation, and offers a rich cultural environment in a rural setting close to major urban centers.
As one of the nation's top public research universities – as measured by national and international rankings, academic citations, and research funding – the campus spends more than $180 million on research each year, demonstrating its contribution to the nation’s position as a technological and economic leader. The university works in conjunction with academic, government, and private partners to translate new knowledge and scientific discoveries into technical innovations and scholarly works that create opportunities for students, faculty and the public.
Eight schools and colleges offer more than 85 undergraduate majors, 68 master’s and 48 doctoral degree programs, many counted among the top programs in the nation and world. UMass Amherst is also home to New England's premier honors college.
The 1,159 full-time faculty members are dedicated teachers and world-renowned researchers and the campus has regularly been listed among the top performers in terms of faculty awards. With over 24,000 students from all 50 states and over 70 countries, the student body is the most academically successful in the history of the campus. Students participate in 240 organizations, 21 NCAA Division I athletic teams, extensive intramurals, living-learning residence halls, community service, and internships. With one of the largest residential life systems in the nation, UMass Amherst houses approximately 12,000 students on campus. The university is enjoying a facilities renaissance, including new buildings in the sciences, the arts, and recreation. UMass Amherst is part of the Five College consortium with Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire and Amherst colleges.
As an employer, the University of Massachusetts Amherst is a national leader in developing family-friendly policies, benefits and amenities designed to help faculty members develop both productive careers and satisfying personal lives. The university offers one of the nation’s most generous parental leave policies. The university is also part of the Academic Career Network, a regional consortium formed to serve dual-career couples and encourage greater diversity in the academy.
181 PRESIDENTS DR
Whitmore Administration Building
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalized job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert