Campus RecreationWorking Title:
Coordinator of Outdoor ProgramsClassification:
State University Administrator 1 - Non-exempt - S9630Nature of position:
Permanent, Full-timeDays Worked:
Monday - Friday / however ability to work varied hours including evenings and weekends.Hours/Shift worked:
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. / however ability to work varied hours including evenings and weekends.Union:
SCUPA- SUA & GFPCJob Summary/Basic Function:
Millersville University of Pennsylvania is recruiting for a Coordinator of Outdoor Programs. This position will assist Campus Recreation Department directing the operation of the ropes course and outdoor programs, supervise student workers and assist with the operation of the club sports programs. This position reports directly to the Director of Campus Recreation.
Located in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, Millersville University of Pennsylvania is one of the 14 public universities of Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education. Our pillars of distinction include exceptionally strong student-faculty relationships, numerous programs of distinction, a beautiful campus and vibrant location, and successful job placement for our students. Our students’ success, both inside and outside of the classroom, is our highest priority, and we provide numerous opportunities to facilitate their academic, personal, and social growth and development. Almost 70 baccalaureate programs are available for our 6,600 students to find their path. Several of our programs are multidisciplinary in nature, combining science, technology, and art to create a more progressive degree. One thousand graduate students enroll in 21 master’s and three doctoral programs. Our faculty are highly respected in their fields and dedicated to the success of students in the classroom, research labs, and in campus life. Over 66,000 alumni live in all 50 states and in 72 countries around the world. We seek individuals who embrace and value our EPPIIC values of exploration, public mission, professionalism, inclusion, integrity, and compassion.
At Millersville University we are committed to fostering a learning and working environment that promotes the intersectionality of diversity to foster a climate of inclusion. Employing our EPPIIC values and the principles of Inclusive Excellence, we hold that an inclusive community is a core value that is an essential part of the foundation for our learning and working environment. Millersville University is an equal opportunity employer and, in compliance with federal and state laws and university policy, is committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Individuals from traditionally underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.
Annual Salary: starting at $42,778.00plus comprehensive benefits starting on the first day of employment, including:
- Health insurance – Low bi-weekly premium. Employees pay 5% of bi-weekly salary for benefit coverage with ability to pay 2.5% when participating in the wellness program.
- Dental insurance – Coverage is free to employee and dependents after 90 days
- Vision insurance – Coverage is free to employee and dependents after 90 days.
- Group life insurance - equal to annual salary (up to $50,000) at no cost to the employee
- Voluntary Group Life and Accident Insurance – available for purchase at low rates for additional employee coverage as well as coverage for spouse and children
- Long Term Disability Insurance – available for purchase at low rates with either a 90 or 180-day waiting period
- Retirement – 2 plans to choose from
- Tuition waiver – employee, spouse, and dependents are eligible
- Vacation leave– up to 10.4 days accrued for the first year, increases to up to 15.6 days per year after first year
- Personal leave – up to 4 days per year
- Sick leave – up to 15.6 days accrued per year, including up to 5 days per year that can be taken to care for a family member
- Holiday leave – up to 12 days per calendar year
For description of benefits available, see The State System Employee Benefits Summary at https://www.passhe.edu/inside/HR/syshr/Benefit_Summaries/PEBTF_Summary.pdfRequired Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required in related field.
- 3 years of work experience in recreation.
- Previous experience in outdoor education programming and rental center operations.
- Previous experience in training, supervising, and leading a cohesive team.
- Demonstrated experience working in and creating an inclusive environment focused on excellent customer service and community building.
- Demonstrated understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Demonstrate competence in training and supervision of multiple part-time staff and/or interns, preferably in a recreation, fitness, or sport environment. with emphasis on intramural sports officials and supervisors.
- Possess and maintain American Red Cross Adult and Pediatric CPR/FA/AED or obtain one within four weeks of start date.
- Wilderness First Responder certification or ability to obtain one within one year of hire.
- Ability to work varied hours including evenings and weekends.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Successful interview.
- Successful completion of three background checks.
- Master’s degree in related field.
- Certifications in areas related to outdoor recreation.
- Active involvement in campus recreation and/or higher education professional organizations.
- Prior experience using different systems (Banner, IMLeagues.com, D2L, Get Involved).
- Direct the operation of the Ropes Course and Outdoor programs by:
- Hire, train, supervise, evaluate, and schedule Ropes Course Facilitators and outdoor programs.
- Assist in the preparation and management of a yearly operational and student wage budget.
- Managing and monitoring the Ropes Course budgetary expenditures.
- Review and revise, as needed, operating procedures and policies for the Ropes Course Program and Outdoor programs.
- Processing all customer contact including scheduling programs and follow up with contracts office to ensure proper contracts are sent to client and final billing is completed.
- Working with the Assistant Director of Conference Services.
- Schedule annual inspections with certified contractor, and coordinate maintenance and repair work with certified contractor and/or Millersville University Facilities, Grounds Crew, and Maintenance.
- Schedule and coordinate advanced staff training with certified contractor
- Develop an equipment rental program for outdoor programs.
- With director, develop a comprehensive outdoor program trip including but not limited to trips for hiking, canoeing, kayaking, climbing, cross country skiing, and overnight trips.
- Oversees the overall supervision of 30+ part-time student employees with direct supervision responsibility for Club Sports Supervisors, Ropes Course Facilitators, and Outdoor Program Guides.
- Collaborates in the recruiting, hiring, training, and supervision of three full-time Graduate Assistants
- Direct collaboration in the operation of the Club Sports program by:
- Serve as the Co-Advisor for all outdoor Club Sports.
- Assist the Associate Director and Director with additional Club Sports
- Hire, train, schedule, supervise, and evaluate Club Sport Supervisors.
- Assist in the preparation and management of a yearly budget.
- Assist with the preparation and management of yearly student wage budget.
- Regular attendance at Club practices and games.
- Assist in the development and implement extensive risk management program for Club Sports.
- Ensuring EMS and/or Athletic Trainers have been scheduled for club home games and paid for services.
- Organize beginning of the semester training for all Club Sport Officers.
- Take part in organizing and conduct monthly meetings for all Club Sports.
- Schedule and meet monthly with individual clubs.
- Compile results for the Club Sport Assessment Tool (CSAT) and discuss with officers from each club.
- Report out to Director on all updates, needs, and issues.
- Assist in processing all check requests for all clubs and assisting each club in the sound fiscal operation of their accounts in the SSI Banking Center.
- Collect allocation requests from all clubs and assist in allocating money to clubs based on the allocation to the Campus Recreation Department from the Student Government Association (SGA).
- Review and revise, as needed, operating procedures and policies for the Club Sports Program.
- Co-lead the Recreation Staff/Student Leadership Development.
- Lead student leadership development weekly meetings.
- Provide content for the marketing of the department’s programming and events.
- Contribute to the upkeep of the department’s website, social media platforms, apps, IMLeagues.com, and other platforms of information for the department’s programming and events.
- Assist in the planning and facilitating all-staff trainings.
- Assist in special events and collaborative programs, while representing the Campus Recreation Department.
- Assist in supervision of additional areas within the Campus Recreation Department
- Other duties as assigned.
Posting Open Date:
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment and in an outdoor setting.
- Ability to stand for long lengths of time.
- Ability to work individually and in a team environment.
- Fine motor skills, manual dexterity; the ability to belay, set up/tear down elements and activities.
- Extensive writing and verbal communications skills.
- Basic and advanced math skills (add, subtract, multiply, divide, fractions, percentages, formulas, equations).
- Understanding of written directions.
- Must be able to lift/pull/push up to 25 pounds.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and mouse.
09/21/2021Posting Close Date:
10/10/2021Quicklink for Posting/Requisition: