Maintenance OperationsWorking Title:
Maintenance Repairman IIClassification:
Maintenance Repairman 2 - 94620Nature of position:
Permanent, Full-timeDays Worked:
Monday – FridayHours/Shift worked:
7:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.Union:
AFSCMEJob Summary/Basic Function:
Millersville University of Pennsylvania is recruiting for a Maintenance Repairman II in the Facilities Department. This position will repair and perform preventive maintenance on university buildings, electrical, plumbing, elevator, and HVAC systems as well as commercial and other equipment. The employee may assist the Capital Construction and Design group with monitoring contractor performance. Reading and understanding construction drawings is required to ensure performance is in accordance with contract requirements.
Located in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, Millersville University of Pennsylvania is one of the 14 public universities of Pennsylvania’s State System of Higher Education. Our pillars of distinction include exceptionally strong student-faculty relationships, numerous programs of distinction, a beautiful campus and vibrant location, and successful job placement for our students. Our students’ success, both inside and outside of the classroom, is our highest priority, and we provide numerous opportunities to facilitate their academic, personal, and social growth and development. Almost 70 baccalaureate programs are available for our 6,600 students to find their path. Several of our programs are multidisciplinary in nature, combining science, technology, and art to create a more progressive degree. One thousand graduate students enroll in 21 master’s and three doctoral programs. Our faculty are highly respected in their fields and dedicated to the success of students in the classroom, research labs, and in campus life. Over 66,000 alumni live in all 50 states and in 72 countries around the world. We seek individuals who embrace and value our EPPIIC values of exploration, public mission, professionalism, inclusion, integrity, and compassion.
Annual Salary: $36,245.00 , plus comprehensive benefits starting on the first day of employment, including:
- Health insurance – Low bi-weekly premium. Employees pay 5% of bi-weekly salary for benefit coverage with ability to pay 2.5% when participating in the wellness program.
- Dental insurance – Coverage is free to employee and dependents after 90 days
- Vision insurance – Coverage is free to employee and dependents after 90 days.
- Group life insurance – equal to annual salary (up to $40,000.00) at no cost to the employee
- Retirement – 2 plans to choose from
- Tuition waiver – employee, spouse, and dependents are eligible
- Vacation leave– up to 11 days accrued per year for first 3 years, increases to 19 days per year after 3 years
- Sick leave – up to 11 days accrued per year, including up to 5 days per year that can be taken to care for a family member
- Holiday leave – 12 days per calendar year
The State System Employee Benefits Summary can be found at https://www.passhe.edu/inside/HR/syshr/Benefit_Summaries/PEBTF_Summary.pdf
At Millersville University we are committed to fostering a learning and working environment that promotes the intersectionality of diversity to foster a climate of inclusion. Employing our EPPIIC values and the principles of Inclusive Excellence, we hold that an inclusive community is a core value that is an essential part of the foundation for our learning and working environment. Millersville University is an equal opportunity employer and, in compliance with federal and state laws and university policy, is committed to providing equal educational and employment opportunities for all persons without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, disability, veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Individuals from traditionally underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply. Required Qualifications:
- Four years’ experience in building and plant maintenance work, which involves at least two of the building, electrical or mechanical trades, or any equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Basic PC skills.
- Knowledge of:
- methods, materials, tools, practices used in at least two trades.
- occupational hazards and safety precautions for trades involved.
- Ability to:
- properly use/care for tools, detect equipment defects and make repairs.
- follow oral/written instructions.
- interpret and work from sketches/diagrams.
- lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- work in adverse weather, confined spaces, and at varying heights.
- drive maintenance vehicles.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal communication skills.
- Knowledgeable and experienced with safety operating hand and power tools and equipment.
- Evidence of a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Successful interview.
- Successful pre-employment physical.
- Successful completion of three background checks.
- Experience working in a facilities maintenance department.
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Experience using snow moving equipment.
- Conduct preventative maintenance of building equipment to include major mechanical systems.
- Complete inspections of emergency lighting and repair/replace defective components as needed.
- Repair minor plumbing issues such as clogged fixtures, rehang fixtures, fix leaks, etc.
- Inspection, repair and installation of building weather-tight enclosures to include flashing, moisture barriers, siding, brick façade, dryvit or stucco systems, metal panels, or other exterior finishes.
- Install, repair, and maintain building envelope issues to include doors, windows, flashing and other openings.
- Identify and repair roof repairs on a variety of roofing systems.
- Repair and installation of different ceiling types to include but not limited to acoustical ceiling tiles (gird layout and installation included), gypsum board and plaster (repairs only for plaster systems).
- Repair and installation of flooring systems and coverings to include but not limited to vinyl composite tile, vinyl plant, carpet (broadloom and squares), wood, tile, and epoxy.
- Applies various paints, finishes, sealers, and coverings.
- Installs and maintains locking devices and door hardware. Conducts lock changes.
- Repairs roofs, spouting and flashing.
- Respond to emergency requests.
- Conduct on site review of the emergency.
- Determine immediate actions to arrest the emergency and ultimate repair.
- Establish work priorities to accomplish necessary repairs.
- Contact appropriate supervisor or manager to recall additional resources as needed.
- Professionally and thoroughly address customer complaints.
- Proactively inspects buildings and grounds to identify deficiencies and determines repair scope of work and estimates costs for repairs.
- Employee is required to work on floors, ceilings, roofs, walls, doors, windows, concrete, wood, metal, plaster, gypsum board, trenches, mechanical spaces, crawl spaces, attics, etc. Occasionally it may involve more unique materials and equipment.
- Employee may be assigned other duties as necessary to accomplish the objectives of the department.
- Repair and install doors and frames, windows.
- Repairing flooring and walls of different materials.
- Repair and assemble furniture.
- Construct temporary and permanent partitions.
- Hang fixtures on walls and ceilings (white boards, pictures, projectors, tv mounts, etc.).
- Repair masonry work.
- Install, maintain, and repair plumbing fixtures, steam lines, steam heating, and cooking equipment.
- Make repairs to roofs and installs flashing and spouts.
- Removes snow from sidewalks, building entrances and parking lots using snow and/or other equipment.
- Immediately reports accidents and incidents to include near misses.
- Work safely by using Personal Protective Equipment, maintaining equipment, following safety procedures and policies, etc. Ensure staff follows same process.
- Complete safety training within first two weeks of start date and monthly thereafter.
- Seek additional training and certification to perform their duties.
- Identify safety issues related to equipment, actions, or processes.
- Review MSDS for chemicals related to the department.
- Be aware of and report potential safety hazards immediately.
- Resolve pending hazards in a timely fashion.
- Consult with supervisor or Environmental Health & Safety staff as needed to resolve unsafe conditions or obtain additional training/resources.
- Stop unsafe practice regardless of shop or contractor if imminently endangering life or severe property damage.
- All other duties as assigned.
Posting Open Date:
- Individuals must be able to work in all kinds of climates.
- Work is both indoors and outdoors all year round.
- May have to work in cramped spaces or otherwise uncomfortable positions in the performance of assigned tasks.
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment when necessary, hard hats, respirators, eye protection, hearing protection, etc.
- Ability to stand for long lengths of time.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds without assistance.
- Must be able to push and pull over 50 pounds with assistance.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard and mouse.
09/23/2021Posting Close Date:
10/10/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
This position is designated an essential employee position. Employee is expected to report to work during their designated shift during emergency situations, university closures or delays. Work performed during these events will require duties typically outside normal job duties and functions.Quicklink for Posting/Requisition: