Vacancy Open to:
UNC Charlotte Employees OnlyEmployment Type:
Permanent - Full-timeHours per week:
40Months per year:
010029NC Salary Grade Equivalency:
Specialty Trades Technician - JourneyWorking Title:
Fire Alarm Network and Programming TechnicianSalary Range:
$42,496 - $56,555Anticipate Hiring Range:
$42,496 - $52,991FLSA Status:
Facilities Management (Adm)Work Unit:
FM Fire SystemsWork Schedule:
7:30 am – 4:00 pm; Monday – Friday with occasional evening and weekend hours required, as necessary. Primary Purpose of Position:
This position is designated as ‘mandatory’ and, when contacted to report to work, its incumbent is expected to reach the building as expeditiously as possible using normal precautions as dictated by the adverse weather conditions.
This position will troubleshoot, maintain, and improve the performance of the University’s fire alarm communications network. Minimum Education/Experience:
Required Minimum Qualifications: Essential Job Duties:
High school diploma or equivalency and two years of experience related to the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
University Preferred Qualifications:
Graduation from a technical college with an Associate degree in electromechanical technology or instrumentation technology and a minimum of two years experience related to the area of assignment experience; or an equivalent combination of training and directly related experience.
This position will troubleshoot, maintain, and improve the performance of the University’s fire alarm communications network. This includes fiber optic signal transmission configuration, maintenance, and repair; fire alarm system network troubleshooting and repair; identifying fire alarm system computer graphics inaccuracies and rectifying these inaccuracies through editing in the Simplex True Site Workstation’s Graphics Editor. Other duties will include analysis and and modification of fire alarm system programming to ensure optimal safety and comprehensive functionality. This position will also produce fire alarm system programming changes that will expand end user capabilities and provide superior communications to Police Dispatch.Other Work Responsibilities:
Communicate and collaborate with various UNC Charlotte departments and contracted employees with a high level of professional integrity to ensure the viability and sustainability of the fire alarm communications network. Document all aspects of the fire alarm network’s performance and physical infrastructure in agreement with the Fire Controls Supervisor’s expectations.Perform work at various heights using ladders. Perform “on call” duties as required outside of business hours as needed. Perform other duties as assigned and/or delegated to support all operations.Departmental Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education:
Necessary Licenses or Certifications:
- Associates degree in electronics and two years of progressive experience in the maintenance and repair of complex electronic systems including some responsibility for the design of electronic apparatus; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- In depth knowledge and understanding of fire alarm network communications as they exist at UNC Charlotte.
- Possess knowledge and skill using tools like: an OTDR instrument, Db loss meters, fiber scopes, lasers, etc., for troubleshooting and documenting fiber optic network media performance.
- Knowledge and skill of industry standard fiber optic maintenance procedures.
- Advanced fire alarm network computer literacy.
- Possess the ability to maintain and optimize the fire alarm network’s GUI workstations.
- Knowledge of AutoCAD.
- Ability to perform work at various heights using ladders.
- Ability to effectively communicate the English language (reading, writing, interpretation and comprehension) required.
- Effective skills in verbal, written and interpersonal communications.
- Ability to effectively work/interact with persons from different backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to foster and create an atmosphere of teamwork.
- Selected candidate must have the mental and physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position with reasonable accommodations.
Be certified as a NICET Level 2 fire alarm technician or become a NICET Level 2 certified fire alarm technician within one year of employment.Work Location:
Valid drivers license.
FM - Fire Systems ShopPosting date:
09/30/2021Proposed Hire Date:
10/11/2021Special Notes to Applicants:
This position is for UNC Charlotte Permanent employees only.
- Please do not apply for this position if you are not a current UNC Charlotte Permanent employee. Your application will not be considered.
Please ensure your full range of knowledge, skills, abilities, experience and education are listed on your application.
- Do not write ‘see resume’ on your application when completing the job duties section.
If you answer the questions at the end of the application, please ensure your application reflects the knowledge, skills, abilities and experiences to support your answers (see job duties section of previous employment).
- Failure to answer the questions at the end of the application will not preclude your application from being considered but may result in your application not receiving full consideration of your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application.
- These documents will be used to evaluate your written communication skills as well as supporting documents of your knowledge, skills, abilities, education and professional experience.