Faculty/Academic StaffMajor Administrative Unit / College:
College Of Natural ScienceDepartment:
Plant Biology Cns 10032114Sub Area:
FAS- Fac./Acad StaffSalary:
Salary Commensurate with ExperienceLocation:
Research/Scientific, Tenure System Faculty, Full Time (90-100%), Non-Union
The Department of Plant Biology at Michigan State University invites applications for a tenure system Assistant Professor position in Ecology. We welcome applications from individuals who work primarily on plants (or other photosynthetic organisms), including those who work at the interface of plants and other areas in ecology (e.g., plant-microbe interactions, plant-insect interactions, ecosystem dynamics, macroecology, etc.), so long as plants are a strong component of the candidate's research. In addition to developing a nationally-recognized, externally funded research program, the successful candidate will be expected to contribute high-quality teaching and service/outreach, and have a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. The ideal start date will be August 2022.
Meeting the position's research expectations will require obtaining external funding and publishing peer-reviewed papers in national and international journals. Teaching will include one undergraduate or graduate course per year as well as graduate and postdoctoral training. Service will include participation in campus and national/international programs.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
Doctorate -Plant Biology or related field
A Ph.D. is required prior to the start of employment and post-doctoral experience is preferred.
Required Application Materials
Applications should be submitted to the MSU Human Resources site at https://jobs.msu.edu. Review of applications will begin November 1, 2021 and continue until a suitable candidate is identified. While letters will not be solicited for the initial evaluation of candidates, applicants should ensure that letters will be submitted promptly upon request. Questions can be emailed to Dr. Lars Brudvig, search chair, at [email protected] See instructions for required items to include in the application materials.
Together-we-will StatementThe university is requiring all MSU students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19 with limited exceptions. Learn more at: https://msu.edu/together-we-will/
To apply, applicants should prepare a single PDF containing:
- A one page cover letter that frames the application in context of this ad and the Department of Plant Biology at Michigan State University.
- A curriculum vitae, including a list of publications, accepted proposals for funding or other resources, contributed or invited presentations, teaching and mentoring experiences, leadership positions, contributions to the academic community, and public outreach efforts. Other professional information may also be included, as the applicant sees fit.
- A 2-3 page summary of research focus including the relevance of the research, research accomplishments, and future research plans. This statement should also describe past experiences with and future plans to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in research (e.g., through grant-funded research, publications, etc.).
- A 1-2 page description of teaching and mentoring philosophy, experiences, goals, and plans to address these goals. This statement should also describe past experiences with and future plans to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in teaching and mentoring (e.g., through mentoring, pedagogy, etc.).
- The names and email contact information for three individuals who can provide reference letters. References will be contacted for candidates selected for a ~20 person short list.
- A copy of one lead-author publication that the applicant would most like the search committee to read (can be included as a separate file, if combining is problematic).
Please title each section of your application.
Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer and is committed to achieving excellence through diversity. The University actively encourages applications of women, persons of color, veterans, and persons with disabilities, and we endeavor to facilitate employment assistance to spouses or partners of candidates for faculty and academic staff positions.
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Sep 22, 2021 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Sep 22, 2023 Eastern Daylight Time