The Communication Technician (Dispatcher) works in the University of Denver Campus Safety Communications Center which is a 24/7 operation. The Communications Technician is responsible for receiving and dispatching calls and messages to Campus Safety Officers for the University of Denver campus. Through which they participate in providing a safe and secure campus environment by receiving and prioritizing calls, relaying accurate information to responding personnel. The Communication Technician is a specialized position within the Campus Safety which provides essential communications between campus safety personnel including, campus safety officers, alarm technicians and parking enforcement officers in the field, outside emergency and law enforcement agencies and the public.
- Communications Technicians work in the Communications Center which is a twenty-four hour, seven days per week operation involving telephone and radio work.
- Typically, training for new staff to reach full performance takes five months. As training progresses, trainees are required to demonstrate delivery of exceptional customer service while multi-tasking entry of information into the computer, and dispatching units on the radio.
- The Communications Center is the primary Campus Safety/emergency answering point for the University of Denver. Specific duties include evaluating calls for proper action, initiating response by Campus Safety Officers or contacting outside law enforcement or Fire/EMS personnel for response by entering data into a computer as it is received. These include calls and messages for routine and emergency reports, referral information, alarm maintenance and notification, campus camera monitoring and alerts, secured door monitoring and alerts and fire alarm monitoring and alerts.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- 6 + months customer service or related experience.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills.
- Demonstrate and maintain good moral character.
- Demonstrate ability to multi-task.
- Pass a job related skills examination.
- Must pass a complete background check to include criminal and verification of employment and education.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen administered by a University approved facility.
Lighting and temperature controlled via work stations in enclosed and secured office setting. Breaks may sometimes be delayed or forgone dependent upon shift workload. Occasional need to work beyond regular shift hours dependent upon exigent circumstances. This position is supervised by the Communications Technician Leads who observes work through observation on the job, employee meetings and results achieved.
Varied hours during 24/7 work week. Communication Technicians participate in a seniority-based shift bid and may be required to work nights, weekends, and holidays.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Friday, October 8th, 2021. Applications will continue to be reviewed until the position is filled.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Salary Grade Number:
The salary grade for the position is 5.
The hourly range for the position is $18.00-$20.00
The University of Denver has provided a compensation range that represents its good faith estimate of what the University may pay for the position at the time of posting. The University may ultimately pay more or less than the posted compensation range. The salary offered to the selected candidate will be determined based on factors such as the qualifications of the selected candidate, departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information, but not based on a candidates sex or any other protected status.
The University of Denver offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO pass. The University of Denver is a private institution that empowers students who want to make a difference. Learn more about the University of Denver.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.