Community College of PhiladelphiaGeneral Description
The Business Administration Department at the Community College of Philadelphia invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position in Business Law for the 2022-2023 academic year.
The Business Administration Department includes a variety of degrees and certificates in the areas of Business and Accounting. The department strives to meet the needs of all students interested in obtaining an education in these areas and is focused on preparing business leaders, professionals, and entrepreneurs for successful careers. Many of our students transfer to some of the best business schools in the Philadelphia area, while others move directly into new jobs or progress in their current career paths.
Community College of Philadelphia is an open-admission, associate-degree-granting institution which provides access to higher education for all who may benefit. Its programs of study in the liberal arts and sciences, career technologies, and basic academic skills provide a coherent foundation for college transfer, employment and lifelong learning. The College serves Philadelphia by preparing its students to be informed and concerned citizens, active participants in the cultural life of the city, and enabled to meet the changing needs of business, industry and the professions. Specific Responsibilities
• Teach Business Law courses to students with a broad range of career interests.
• Help community college students further develop their Business Law skills, as well as professional attitudes and behaviors for college and workplace success.
• Facilitate student learning, provide effective instruction, and perform evaluations of student learning for all assigned classes, using each course's standard course outline as a guide.
• Develop course curriculum, course handouts, lectures, hands-on activities, and presentations.
• Work with other faculty and administrators in developing program curriculum, standards, and policies, including reviewing and participating in textbook selection process where appropriate.
• Be available to students via email, phone, or personal conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should be clearly communicated to supervisors and to students through the course syllabus each semester.
• Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with FERPA regulations and submit grades and records by established deadlines.
• Meet all classes and other scheduled responsibilities such as office hours and meetings at the designated times.
• Receive training or stay current in technological or pedagogical advances that promote student learning, including learning and using Publisher's software when applicable.
• Developing and maintaining working relationships with the Philadelphia business and law industry/workforce. • Serve on standing and ad hoc committees, advisory boards, hiring committees, or as a student organization advisor.
• Demonstrate a sense of connection and responsibility for helping the College to achieve success through a commitment to its mission, vision, and values.
• Actively participate in the academic life of the College; including participation in graduation, recruitment events, general assemblies, student life activities and other cross functional teams. Create learning opportunities for students inside and outside of the classroom including opportunities to teach dual-enrollment high school students.
•Communicate effectively, share vision, focus on people, initiate positive change, value differences and foster collaboration. Work with and inspire others to achieve college, department, and individual success. Proactively identify/address problems.
• Establish an inclusive environment in the classroom. Demonstrate an understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of the College's faculty, staff and students.
• Participation in continual assessment and course updates to ensure excellence in meeting program and student learning outcomes.
• Strive for excellence in teaching, applying best practices in field of discipline, and modeling behaviors that encourage student success and retention. Utilize innovative teaching strategies and technologies for online learning and other technology tools to meet the learning needs of a diverse student population. Maintain office hours to meet with students outside of the classroom and respond to questions or concerns.
• Commitment to professional learning and growth, student mentoring, and service to the profession. Remain current in the use of technology, developments within the field of discipline, and developments related to teaching and student success.Minimum Qualifications
• Candidates must have an earned Juris Doctorate Degree from an ABA approved law school.
• Passed a state bar examination and be a licensed practitioner in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If not currently licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, must be licensed before the start of the Fall 2022 semester.
• A minimum of three years of business experience.
• Ability to deliver required, predefined course elements, while drawing from one's own knowledge and experiences, to engage students and make the course their own.
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Willingness to revise and update courses. Preferred Qualifications
• Three years of teaching experience, preferably at the community college level or higher.
• Active participation in industry related professional development activities, meetings, and/or conferences.
• Knowledge and/or willingness to develop and teach distance education and web enhanced courses.
• A flexible schedule to teach classes in the day, evening, at the main campus, and/or at Regional Centers. Work Location
Main CampusSpecial Instructions to Applicants
• Interested persons should complete an online application.
• Cover letter of interest and CV/resume REQUIRED.
• Name and contact information for three (3) references REQUIRED.
• Employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of background checks in accordance with the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law.
• Must be legally eligible to work in the U.S. Community College of Philadelphia is an affirmative action, equal opportunity and equal access employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally under-represented groups. AA/EOE. Position Type