Union/Affiliation: Administrative and Professional Staff (APSA)
Pay range: $103,412 To $123,491 Annually
SFU Department Description: Office of the Vice President, Research and International
Position Grade: 15
# of openings: 1
Biweekly Hours: 72
The Director, Strategy and Operations is responsible for leading and overseeing the delivery of programming and activities for a research institute at SFU, including the allocation of physical, financial and personnel resources to achieve goals and objectives and ensure long-term sustainability of the institute. The role leads strategic planning and works in consultation with the Governing Board and Scientific Co-Directors to develop the vision and direction for the institute and the operationalization of the strategic plan. The Director works to develop strategic relationships for the purposes of increasing partner engagement, ensuring sustainability, attracting talent, and enhancing the reputation of the institute, in order to maximize the institute's contributions to knowledge and training that promotes and protects public health.
- Master's degree in Science or a relevant discipline with eight years of directly related experience in negotiation of contracts and agreements; governmental relations, including senior level experience in administration, program operations, post-secondary program development and assessment, financial administration, personnel management, program operations communications and marketing, revenue generation at a post-secondary institution or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Excellent ability to create, develop and sustain strong relationships at all levels, including local communities, government agencies, alumni, and donors.
- Excellent leadership, strategic planning, organizational, management, analytical reasoning, problem-solving, and conflict management skills.
- Excellent public relations, conflict management, and interpersonal skills to diplomatically, sensitively, and effectively respond and resolve issues that arise.
- Excellent knowledge of project management methods.
- Excellent budget planning and financial management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal, written and public presentation communication skills.
- Excellent media relations skills.
- Ability to interpret and implement complex policies and regulations.
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines and prioritize competing deadlines.
We strongly encourage candidates with advanced training in health sciences, life sciences, public health or related scientific disciplines to apply.
Assignment End Date: March 31, 2024
Please include your cover letter and resume in one attachment.