Earlham College is seeking a full time Registered Nurse with a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing. Managerial and teaching experience is preferred. The nurse will assist with the operation of Earlham Health Services (EHS) in the absence of a Director of Health Services. Duties include the following:
- All members of the nursing staff are encouraged to pursue educational opportunities in order to remain current on recommended treatments of care.
- The nursing staff coordinates care with our visiting physician, Dr. Windel Stracener, MD and with Pattie Young, PMHCNS-BC . This includes assistance with the development of policies and protocols when appropriate.
- The nurse assists with the hiring and supervision student workers.
- Assists with efforts to ensure all functions of EHS are in compliance with accepted standards of practice and meet any state or federal regulations as well as limits imposed by the College’s insurance coverage.
- May be asked to assist with updates the EHS policy and procedural manual.
- Assist with efforts to update standing orders on an annual basis in cooperation with Dr. Stracener.
- May be asked to assist with the development and maintenance of all forms used in EHS.
- Assist with the processing of time sheets for student workers.
- Assist with the ordering of supplies as needed from vendors.
- Ensure that all charges are processed in a timely manner.
- Assist with the generation of Insurance Statements as requested for both student and private insurance policies.
Coordination of activities with other departments
- Coordination of immunization administration for students going on off campus programs with the Center for Global Engagement (CGE). Current information on health-related topics is provided to CGE to minimize any health risks while off campus.
- Assist with copying documentation of physicals that are part of the student’s health record of students who are enrolled in Wilderness Program, to provide to the Wilderness Program Director.
- Participate in the orientation of residence life staff and to assist with the presentation of educational programs to the staff as requested by the Director of Residence Life.
- Participate as a member of the Student Life department in appropriate projects and activities.
- Be cognizant of health issues on an ongoing basis and informs appropriate individuals to protect the well being of all members of the Earlham community. This may include assistance with the development of new policies at times.
All members of the EHS team are expected to interact with parents or guardians of students in a professional and empathetic manner.
- The nurse functions as a staff nurse each week and administers care to students.
- Work with Counseling Services and Wellness Programs regarding educational programs on an ongoing basis with emphasis on wellness and prevention and topics of interest to the college population. This includes HIV, drug and alcohol education to meet federally mandated education policies.
- Assists with the provision of current information on health issues by assisting the full-time nurse with the ordering appropriate brochures or literature – or by creating such educational information.
- Assists with the maintenance of files and lists of available information to enable students and staff to find information.
- Assists students in obtaining health related information. This may include one-to-one instruction about a personal concern or research for the desired information.
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
- 5 or more year of experience as a practicing nurse
- Must hold an active license in the State of Indiana as a Registered Nurse
- Ability to work independently
- Must possess effective oral and written communication skills
- Must maintain a service centered approach in the work environment
- Ability to maintain College and community relationships through a strong commitment to customer service
Please submit the following application materials in a single electronic file:
- Cover letter;
- Statement on Diversity: The Statement on Diversity should describe how your values and leadership frame or center Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) in your work.
- Contact information for three references.
All materials should be submitted to the Earlham College Human Resources Office at: [email protected].
The application review begins immediately, and the search will remain open until the position is filled.
Earlham College requires all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or apply for and receive a qualified exemption within two weeks of the employment start date.
Earlham College is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks applications from candidates who contribute to diversity in terms of race, ethnicity, age, religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and veteran status, among other distinctions and contributions. As a College with a Quaker identity, Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham utilizes E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility for all newly hired employees within the United States.