The Community Engagement and Equity Coordinator plays an important role in planning community events, assisting with administrative projects, and presenting useful information and resources to the community. The position is dual role serving two offices, and reports to the Dean of Students and the Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
The Coordinator will provide support for the wide-ranging diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) efforts within William James College. The Coordinator will manage logistics for programs and events, develop promotional materials, collect data and coordinate campus partners for programs such as the Council for Inclusive Excellence, Healing Racism Workshops, Inclusive Insights, DEI signature events, and other ongoing DEI-related work. They will work directly with the student government and student organization leaders to collaborate and support student leadership. They will assist with managing logistics for Dean of Students programming and the coordination of data in the Academic Resource Center. This candidate should have some background in student affairs, strong skills in program management and written and oral communication, and knowledge of diversity, equity and inclusion issues related to higher education. Also, an understanding and appreciation of college student engagement, learning and success theories including the relationship between learning environments/climates and college outcomes.
The Coordinator must demonstrate respect for all members of the College community in the course of performing duties; welcome and recognize the value of diversity, equity and inclusive excellence, and must have a demonstrated history of working effectively with multiple identities (race, creed, color, religion, national origins, age, sex, pregnancy, disability, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender identity or associational preferences). Must be able to make decisions and exercise a high level of autonomy, use independent judgment and recognize the need for a high level of confidentiality.
- Assist with coordinating logistics for Dean of Students programming;
- Research & enter job listings and employer information into our Career Link online system;
- Promote and support student leadership initiatives of Department ACES, the College LEAD Team and student organizations;
- Create and manage Dean of Students monthly (email) newsletters;
- Maintain, update, and create information for webpages managed by the Dean of Students Office (this does not require the ability to build pages; it is focused on content);
- Take notes at important student meetings such as LEAD Team meetings or community Town Hall;
- Promote Dean of Students programming through creating and sending out event fliers and emails;
- Assist with collection of data and student feedback for the Academic Resource Center;
- Develop and maintain an outreach program to work with student organizations;
- Assist with the coordination of our community service projects and online service resources;
- Assist with administrative projects as needed;
- Coordinate implementation of DEI related programs, events and initiatives.
- Assist in the development of promotional materials for events, staff events, and coordinate staffing schedule for events.
- Manage the DEI programs, including scheduling training sessions and campus events, managing communication with student facilitators, ensuring that student facilitators and others involved have any necessary materials, and tracking evaluation data.
- Manage logistics for the Council for Inclusive Excellence, Healing Racism Workshops, Inclusive Insights, DEI signature events and other DEI work.
- Guide community to resources on DEI policies and procedures, as well as event management.
- Support communications on DEI work, including creating event registration links, updating web pages, drafting copy and providing social media support.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This position will require some evening hours during the semester, and occasional weekend work.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaboration, and team-building skills. Able to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with others, while also working autonomously.
- Ability to troubleshoot most problems and respond to all inquiries and requests related to work area.
- Bachelor's degree and 3 years of directly related work experience, or a combination of education and experience.
- Commitment towards racial and social justice and equity, including a culturally humble approach to work
- Experience working with, graduate students, non-traditional students, and/or students from marginalized populations
- Experience with graduate student life, current knowledge of best practices and initiatives to support graduate students in higher education
- Technical qualifications include solid knowledge in MS Office, other office software such as Publisher/Photoshop, and experience with a content management system.
- Interest and experience in designing and implementing high-quality activities, programs and services for students.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Professional attitude and strong customer service skills.
- Applicant must be able to assume employment in the U.S. without College sponsorship.
Please send cover letter and resume to Michelle Costa, Human Resource Recruiting Manager, at [email protected]. Applications will be reviewed when submitted, and considered until the position is filled.
Inclusive Excellence at William James College
William James College is an institution and a community committed to the principles of excellence, fairness and respect for all people. Our Inclusive Excellence model infuses diversity, equity and inclusion efforts into the core of institutional functioning to realize the educational benefits of diversity both locally and globally. We are committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for change agents in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society.