201100744Full or Part Time:
YesJob Description Summary:
The Administrative Specialist is the initial office contact for the College of Science and Humanities. Partnering with the Dean and Assistant Dean, the Administrative Specialist is a key forward-facing member of the College Science and Humanities administrative team. The position requires professionalism, a positive attitude, combined with demonstrated human relations and communication skills to greet stakeholders, answer questions in a knowledgeable manner, and direct visitors appropriately. The Administrative Specialist performs a wide range of administrative and personal assistant duties including but not limited to: preparing reports, spreadsheets, databases and correspondence; handling information requests; planning meetings, providing purchasing support; organizing events; taking meeting minutes; and fulfilling employment administration requirements. Essential duties require working with both public and confidential information and the ability to discern between them. The Administrative Specialist also serves as a liaison for the college on matters related to the position’s essential duties. The Administrative Specialist is responsible for proactively managing complex schedules, projects, procurement, expense reporting requiring prioritization and re-prioritization of commitments and projects as necessary. The capacity to manage workflow and create efficient operating procedures for the college, coordinate projects, draft and edit documents, and maintain office supplies and equipment is essential to the position. A successful administrative specialist will be a team player with extensive knowledge of current office technology, familiarity with long range planning, experience with office management, and a flexible and hospitable attitude. Duties and Responsibilities:
Must be able to work independently and without supervision. Needs excellent oral and written communication skills. Must have attention to detail, good judgment and mature decision-making abilities. Must be able to maintain confidentiality and the aptitude to work with a wide variety of individuals—faculty, students, staff, and administration.
Duties and responsibilities include the following:
- The Administrative Specialist performs a range of administrative support duties ranging from general clerical tasks to complex organizational coordination.
- Handle all administrative details for the College of Science and Humanities including the Dean’s and Assistant Dean’s calendars, the College master calendar, and the College Canvas site; assist with social media as needed.
- Respond to and initiate inquiries (questions regarding purchasing, personnel, facilities, administration, specialized programs, etc.) Explain policies, answer questions, and resolve problems whenever feasible.
- Be knowledgeable of all Science and Humanities programs.
- Assist with developing the course offerings, the adjunct hiring process and other duties associated with coordinating the College’s disciplinary areas.
- Take and distribute minutes for the College of Science and Humanities meetings as well as other meetings as assigned.
- Manage and maintain College office equipment; notify appropriate University offices for repairs, cleaning, and/or replacement.
- Create and maintain spreadsheets for faculty development expenditures, advising, and other areas as needed.
- Meet reception duties including but not limited to answering phones, notifying faculty of packages, greeting visitors and students, and coordinating room reservations for college meetings and events.
- Distribute faculty evaluations in a timely manner at the end of each semester.
- Coordinate, maintain, and staff office as needed for special events such as Open Houses, New Student Orientations, and FYI days.
- Support purchasing requirements for the College, researching items and obtaining price quotes, entering information into university systems, managing purchase orders and requests for reimbursement.
- Organize events such as the annual Awards ceremony and/or conferences and other College occasions as needed.
- Organize travel for faculty, administrators, and search committees as needed.
- Collect, organize, and disseminate assessment materials, syllabi, course textbooks, and online course materials to faculty and adjuncts to ensure consistency across offerings.
- Operate a variety of office machines and equipment such as computer, fax, multi-line telephone, printers, scanners, copiers to include minor adjustments and maintenance.
- Create and maintain student information on CAMS related to class and advisor assignments and other reports. In coordination with Registrar and faculty, adjust student schedules as needed.
- Create and maintain electronic files on faculty and adjuncts.
- Create and maintain a comprehensive database for all College activities and disseminate as requested.
- Enter, track, and collate curriculum and course changes.
- Maintain mailing lists and current contact information for faculty and staff; distribute university-wide and College-wide information and announcements.
- This position opens and closes the office and must have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, and to deal with stressors with professionalism and good humor.
- Proactively monitor and perform social media reports and make updates when directed.
- Perform other duties as required to support the mission and function of the College.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.Education and Experience:
Education: associates degree or equivalent; bachelor’s degree preferred. Experience: At least three years’ experience in an office or administrative support position. Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities: This position requires intermediate to advanced-level proficiency in the use of standard desktop applications (including the Google suite), and the ability to produce documents and presentations of all kinds using word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software tools. Professional writing skills a plus.Physical Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.Open Until Filled:
NoSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants should submit a current resume, cover letter addressing the qualifications, and a list of at least three professional references.Quick Link to Posting: