OverviewMacalester College seeks to hire a full time Assistant Coach for Track & Field and Cross Country in the area of sprints, jumps, hurdles, and multi-events.The Assistant Coach will support the Director of Track & Field and Cross Country in all aspects of a NCAA Division III program as needed. This Assistant Coach will be a primary coach and recruiter for the sprints, jumps, and hurdles events.Responsibilities
Practice and Competition:
- Organizes, prepares, and conducts safe and strategic individual and team training sessions and competitive strategies for sprinters, jumpers, and hurdlers.
- Serves as a primary coach for the track and field non-traditional (fall) season.
- Executes appropriate coaching decisions during practice and competition and ensures the welfare of the student athletes representing their program.
- Represents the college and its athletics program with honesty, integrity and sportsmanship at all times, to various institutional programs and students, parents, the general public, alumni and external agencies.
- Develops a positive, professional relationship with officials, league personnel, and coaching colleagues.
- Provides successful recruitment, yield and retention of academically and athletically qualified student-athletes in a rigorous academic environment.
- Serves as an effective recruiter for the sprints, jumps, and hurdles, working within the parameters of Macalester, MIAC and NCAA rules.
- Executes a recruitment strategy resulting in healthy roster numbers and a competitive program against scheduled opponents.
Game Management, travel, and equipment:
- Assists with the preparation and event management needs at home competitive events.
- Assists in the coordination of special events including recruiting, alumni, the Mac Hac, and student-athlete recognition functions.
- Arranges and supervises transportation, lodging and meals in connection with off-campus competition.
- Ensures that the team represents the college at the highest level while off-campus.
- Helps manage equipment replacement and inventory of uniforms.
- Assists with cross country practice including driving vans and helping to record times during practices and competitions.
- 1-3 years of successful collegiate coaching experience preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Knowledgeable in practice and training modes, competitive strategies and effective, sustained, and results oriented recruiting program. Creates a positive, organized and enriching experience for the student athletes involved in the program.
- Effective teaching methods and excellent leadership, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills; the ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, students, parents and alumni from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- General proficiency in current office computer technology, including admissions and recruitment software.
- Management and organization of recruiting records and all information necessary for the operations of the program.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to work within the framework of college policies, MIAC regulations, and NCAA Division III philosophy and rules.
- Works with various departments and personnel at the college such as the Registrar's office, Dean of Students, and other campus offices to aid in the development of a positive student-athlete experience. Contributes to a positive team-oriented working relationship within the athletic department and with departmental staff
This is a full time position with access to Macalester’s Benefits Package.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume as one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage. This position will be posted until filled.
All inquiries for this position can be directed to:
Talent Acquisition Manager
Macalester College - Institutional Overview
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphasis on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.BenefitsMacalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.Our Commitment to Safety in response to COVID-19:For the safety of our community, Macalester requires all employees to have received a COVID-19 vaccine. Should a newly hired employee be unable to receive the vaccination for either medical or religious reasons we offer accommodations and assistance.Questions or concerns about this process should be directed to Bob Graf, Director of Employment Services, at [email protected]