Campus Police Officer
About Eastern Washington University:
Eastern Washington University is a regional, comprehensive public university located in Cheney and Spokane, Washington, with programs offered throughout the state and online with an enrollment of over 12,000 students. Eastern is one of six state-funded four-year institutions of higher education in Washington reporting to its own Board of Trustees.
Eastern’s 300-acre main campus is located in Cheney, a community of 11,000 residents 16 miles southwest of the state’s second largest city, Spokane. Eastern also offers programs in downtown Spokane at the Brand new Catalyst building and on the Riverpoint Campus which is shared with Washington State University. Eastern also offers program throughout the state based on the needs of the community. Eastern offers an array of bachelor’s and master’s degrees and one applied doctorate in physical therapy. EWU offers 135 fields of study, 9 master’s degrees, 12 graduate certificates, 39 graduate programs, 1 educational specialist degree, and 1 applied doctorate to more than 10,000 enrolled students.
- Eastern Washington University is currently seeking applications for a Campus Police Officer. This position will perform general duty police work to protect life and property, enforce laws and ordinances, maintain order, and prevent and investigate crime.
- This is an open recruitment to create an eligibility list which will be used to fill possible vacancies. An email will be sent to applicants when testing dates have been determined.
- On top of salary, the University offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, life and disability insurance and retirement. In addition, EWU offers generous vacation and sick leave accruals, 11 paid holidays per year and fringe benefits, such as tuition waiver for employees, discounted EWU sports tickets and free transportation through STA buses.
- High school graduation or GED
- Minimum age of 21 years
- Valid driver’s license
- No previous felony convictions
- Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications, except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and/or diversity.
Other Skills and Abilities:
% of Time:
- Current commissioned police officer
50 Responsibility / Duty:
Patrol a designated area on foot or in a patrol car to enforce institution rules and regulations, local, state, and federal statues, and ordinances. Inspect buildings and grounds for prowlers, conduct fire watches as necessary, property damage, or other irregularities. Community oriented policing (COP). Essential Function Indicator:
Yes % of Time:
20 Responsibility / Duty:
Direct and regulate traffic; investigate accidents or crimes; administer first aid; issue citations for violations; gather evidence; locate witnesses; appear in court, present evidence, and testify againstt persons accused of crimes. Essential Function Indicator:
Yes % of Time:
15 Responsibility / Duty:
Issue misdemeanor citations; investigate, arrest and/or book suspects into applicable detention facilities for misdemeanors, gross misdemeanors, and felony offenses. Essential Function Indicator:
Yes % of Time:
15 Responsibility / Duty:
5% Assist city or county police and state patrol in cases of emergency.
5% Operate department communication equipment; answer telephone inquiries; receive reports of criminal activity; dispatch foot and mobile units; operate paging system; monitor alarm systems; prepare, type and distribute reports.
5% Prevent or disperse illegal gatherings or demonstrations; maintain surveillance of an area suspect for criminal activity. Perform other duties as required. Essential Function Indicator:
Conditions of Employment:
- Applicants will be required to pass the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission Fitness test, a written test and participate in an oral board interview as part of the recruitment process. Applicants will be notified of the dates/times for these components of the process. The fitness test consists of a 300 meter run (to be completed in no more than 71 seconds), push-ups (minimum of 21/maximum of 35), sit-ups (minimum of 30/maximum of 38) and a 1.5 mile run (to be completed in no more than 14.31 minutes). Human Resources will contact applicants for the next available Fitness Test.
- Lateral applicants will not be required to complete the physical fitness test as part of the application/screening process.
- All new employees must comply with EWU immunization Policy 602-02 and provide proof of immunity or vaccination to MMR and proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before beginning work at EWU. Waivers for the immunization requirements are available for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs.
- The selected candidate will be required to work rotating shifts. Entry level applicants will be required to attend a 720 hour basic law enforcement academy and certify as a peace officer as a condition of continuing employment. Lateral applicants must also have a current Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission Basic Law Enforcement Academy Certificate or equivalent certification from another state-approved academy. Out of state lateral applicants must achieve certification by the Washington State Equivalency Academy within one year or employment.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass both a psychological and polygraph test prior to entrance into the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Academy for both entry and lateral applicants.
- This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
- This position is covered by the Washington Federation of State Employees’ Collective Bargaining Agreement.
$64,020 - $84,000
Open Until Further Notice:
Screening to Begin:
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Submit your application materials through our online applications portal provided below. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Human Resources Services at (509) 359-2381.
To apply, visit https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu/postings/7590
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency