Extension Grants and Contracts Specialist - Columbia, MO Location:
Columbia Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
University of Missouri (MU) Office of Extension and Engagement
MU Extension Fiscal Operations
MU TITLE: Business Support Specialist Sr
LOCATION: Whitten Hall, Columbia MO
The University of Missouri (MU) Office of Extension and Engagement’s distinct land-grant mission is to improve lives, communities, and economies by producing relevant, reliable, and responsive educational strategies throughout Missouri. Our dedicated and knowledgeable faculty and staff collaborate with researchers and community leaders to develop and deliver programs that address needs of Missourians including: educational attainment; environmental concerns; community, economic, business and workforce development; global food systems; and health systems. For more information about MU Extension and Engagement, please visit http://extension.missouri.edu
This position serves on a team to provide information and assistance for Extension faculty and staff regarding preaward activities. Some of the responsibilities include coordinating subcontract information with outside entities, entering data into PeopleSoft, identifying, and addressing possible compliance issues, and finalizing all proposals for submission. In addition, this position will serve as a liaison to the Office of Sponsored Program Administration, IRB, COI, and others. Must be knowledgeable of current federal, state and university policies and regulations regarding grants and contracts.
LEADERSHIP RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
- Serves Extension faculty and staff to provide information regarding preaward grants, contracts, and agreements. Because Extension has investigators in different divisions across the campus, this requires some knowledge of different division policies. Advises investigators on sponsor's instructions and UM policies on allowable costs and applicable indirect cost rate. Meet with new investigators to discuss the proposal process and how this position can assist.
- Assist all Extension faculty with the preparation of grant proposals, including editing budgets and budget narratives, completing application forms, coordinating with subcontractors, and entering data into PeopleSoft. Identify possible compliance issues, such as human participation, animal use, intellectual property, and conflict of interest, and work with the investigators to resolve possible issues.
- Keep abreast of changes in application instructions for federal sponsor and maintains knowledge of current and new policies. Maintains access to contract templates, budget forms and templates and other grant application materials and guidelines.
- Serve as a liaison with OSPA, IRB, OTMIR, and other departments within the University who are responsible for certain compliance requirements.
- Advise and assist recipients of grants in meeting performance and reporting requirements. Two of the most common reporting systems are FEMA and REEport (USDA). This position is responsible for relaying information on the reports and assisting with the submission.
- Conduct all activities in accordance with the Civil Rights Acts, Title IX, Rehabilitation, Americans with Disabilities Act and local, state and region affirmative action plans.
- As with all positions, involvement with other duties and responsibilities may be expected in order to support the mission and purpose of MU Extension.
This position reports to the Senior Business Operations Associate who oversees the management of the pre-award activities within Extension and will receive additional support from faculty and staff in MU Extension. Functional supervision may be exercised over a small to medium sized office support staff and student assistants. CORE ATTRIBUTES FOR MU EXTENSION FACULTY AND STAFF
Exhibit a high personal standard of excellence, be an effective team player, and demonstrate inclusivity, civility and respect for all.Engage stakeholders and learners; maintain positive interpersonal relationships; and exhibit effective written and oral communication skills.Operate with minimal guidance and be a self-directed learner who is flexible and adaptable to changing environments.UNIVERSITY INFORMATION
The University of Missouri, also known as Mizzou and MU, is the Flagship University of the four-campus University of Missouri system. It is the state’s land-grant university and one of the most comprehensive universities in the United States. MU’s broad undergraduate programs and its’ graduate, professional and research programs attract annual enrollment of more than 30,000 students. MU is centrally located in Columbia, MO, which is consistently ranked as one of America’s most livable cities. MU Extension programs are located on all four campuses and in 114 counties and St. Louis city.
Salary Range: $20.00 - $24.61/hour
University Title: SENIOR BUSINESS SUPPORT SPECIALIST
Internal applicants can determine their university title by accessing the Talent Profile tile in myHR.
Monday – Friday
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
A Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience and at least 2 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary.
A Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, accounting or related area or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities may be acquired is necessary. Two years of experience in administrative or fiscal capacity is required.
Highly proficient with PeopleSoft. Two to three years of experience with University of Missouri clerical and fiscal processes and policies.
Experience with developing and monitoring budgets and financial statements.
Professional and friendly demeanor with a demonstrated ability to work well with a variety of individuals while maintaining confidential information/situations.
Analytical skills and demonstrated organizational skills necessary to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
Proficient with Microsoft Office software (especially Excel).
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, paid time off, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor of Human Resource Services/Affirmative Action officer at 573-882-4256.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Disability Inclusion and ADA Compliance Manager at 573-884-7278.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: