Instructional Design and Technology ConsultantPosting Number:
Instructional DesignerWorking Title:
Instructional Design and Technology ConsultantClassification Code:
1622RCW Exemption Criteria:
14 - Extension/Continuing EducationEWU Position Number:
Exempt - ProfessionalBargaining Unit :
PSE% Full Time:
100Salary / Wage Range:
PS - 112Salary Information:
$63,242Term of Appointment:
Yes - BothResponsible HR User:
Saundra GodinResponsible HR User Email address:
[email protected]Job Summary:
Information Technology (IT) provides information resources and technology services to the entire campus community to support the university’s mission. IT also provides technical assistance in the design, acquisition, installation, and maintenance of campus systems, media, and telecommunications infrastructure, including; desktop and laptop computer equipment; institutional databases; enterprise-wide applications; technology-equipped classrooms, distance learning classrooms, telecommunications systems; centrally licensed software, online services, open-access, and discipline-specific computer labs, consulting, training, and user support. Information Technology assists EWU leadership in strategic planning for technology initiatives that strengthen both efficiency and effectiveness.About Eastern Washington University:
Instructional Technology is a unit of Information Technology at EWU. This unit is responsible for research, development, management, and review of all teaching and technology solutions. This includes learning management systems (LMS), course development, Media systems and services (streaming, lecture and desktop capture, course recordings, etc.), learning analytics, learning space design, and technology events and workshops.
The Instructional Design and Technology Consultant provides expertise and direction on the conceptualization, design, maintenance, revision, and implementation of technology-delivered course content and related materials through consultation and collaboration with individuals from the institution and community. This position also provides consultations on a variety of instructional design concepts including, but not limited to, course design, active learning, and universal design for learning.
The candidate selected for this position will be rewarded with competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package which includes highly subsidized health/dental plans, retirement plan with 100% university match, generous paid vacation and sick leave, 11 paid holidays (adjusted accordingly), tuition waiver benefit and more!
EWU expands opportunities for personal transformation through excellence in learning.
Eastern Washington University is a regional, comprehensive public university located in Cheney and Spokane, Washington, with programs offered throughout the state and online with an enrollment of over 12,000 students. Eastern is one of six state-funded four-year institutions of higher education in Washington reporting to its own Board of Trustees.Diversity Statement:
Eastern’s 300-acre main campus is located in Cheney, a community of 11,000 residents 16 miles southwest of the state’s second largest city, Spokane. Eastern also offers programs in downtown Spokane at the Brand new Catalyst building and on the Riverpoint Campus which is shared with Washington State University. Eastern also offers program throughout the state based on the needs of the community. Eastern offers an array of bachelor’s and master’s degrees and one applied doctorate in physical therapy. EWU offers 135 fields of study, 9 master’s degrees, 12 graduate certificates, 39 graduate programs, 1 educational specialist degree, and 1 applied doctorate to more than 10,000 enrolled students.
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value, as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
COVID-19/MMR Requirement: All new employees must comply with EWU Immunization Policy 602-02 and provide proof of immunity or vaccination to MMR and proof they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before beginning work at EWU. Waivers for the immunization requirements are available for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs.
This position is covered by the Public School Employees’ Collective Bargaining Agreement. Physical Demands :
- Ability to lift 15 pounds regularly and up to 50 pounds occasionally.
- Ability to bend, kneel, stoop, reach, and sit as needed for office and computer work.
- Wrist and hand movements required as needed for keyboarding.
- Ability to be mobile campus wide for appropriate business needs.
Contact Saundra Godin in Human Resource Services at [email protected]
to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis
which will describe conditions of employment, such as physical and mental demands.Pre-Placement Physical :
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
University, local, regional and state mandates for public and personal protection should be followed as needed.Required Qualifications:
Demonstrated abilities in each of the following areas:
- Bachelor’s degree in instructional design, education/adult learning, instructional technology, or related field.
- 3 years of recent instructional design or related experience relevant to the position’s essential duties.
- Recognized Teaching Certificate (state issued, Sloan-C, or similar), formal teaching experience and/or certificate/experience in professional training and development; or the ability to obtain relevant certification within 1 year.
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility, and/or diversity.
- Working independently.
- Prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Effectively communicate in both spoken and written form to diverse constituencies, both technical and non-technical.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- 2 years of ERP, Learning Management System, or similar enterprise administration or administrative experience.
- 3 years of analyzing needs and determining most effective solutions for stakeholders.
Work Schedule Type:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience working in higher education environments in areas dealing with enterprise instructional systems / learning management systems, and support services.
Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pmPosting Date:
09/17/2021Open Until Further Notice:
YesScreening to Begin:
9/30/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
Required documentation includes all of the items listed below.
Application Types Accepted:
- Attach a detailed cover letter in which you explain how you meet each of the required qualifications [and preferred qualifications, if applicable]. It is preferred that you provide that information in a bulleted list or within a table within your cover letter.
- Attach a chronological resume including work history and major duties, education, and any specialized training or skills related to the position. List at least 3 professional references including: names, titles, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses, and connection to you (these can be identical to the references listed on the application).
- Complete the online application form and respond to the online questions, if applicable.
- Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. You will be asked to attach a diversity response as part of the online application process: Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
ApplicationResponsibility / Duty:
Conducts needs assessments and capacity planning to interpret and translate instructional needs to meet the project goals of the institution and community (stakeholders).
- Identifies instructional needs, refines, and clarifies the definition of that need, and defines a solution with a feasible scope that can be implemented by stakeholders.
- Evaluates and draws conclusions about the application of instructional design.
- Investigates, researches, and recommends solutions to educational issues identified in capacity planning and needs assessments relative to teaching, technology, and learning.
- Prioritizes and progressively clarifies and validates stakeholder and solution requirements to enable the project team to implement a solution that meets the needs of stakeholders.
- Analyzes stakeholder needs to define requirements; assesses the current state of a course design and recommends improvements; and verifies and validates the resulting solutions.
- Manages issues and changes to ensure that stakeholders and the project team remain in agreement on the solution scope, how requirements are communicated to stakeholders, and how knowledge gained is maintained for future use.
- Evaluates current and emerging best practices in instruction relative to the institutional strategic plan and applies them to projects.
Business/Institutional/Education requirements are elicited from stakeholders. Business requirements and functional specifications are interpreted and translated into course requirements, functional specifications and design documents are reviewed for compliance against requirements, project deliverables are managed to coordinate IT and Design resources with resource managers.Essential Function Indicator:
YesResponsibility / Duty:
Uses industry standards and best practices to consults with and assists subject matter experts (SME) in the selection and implementation of the most appropriate instructional tools and methods to meet course objectives.
- Consults with faculty on course design and assists with the development of learning objectives, instructional strategies, techniques, and learning activities.
- Coordinates with subject matter experts (SME) in the development and implementation of teaching and learning materials using instructional design concepts.
- Estimates, implements, and facilitates projects or tasks that are accurate, thorough, and complete based on stakeholders needs.
- Assesses the performance and effectiveness of the implemented solution.
Recommendations are made on the appropriate educational approach and new strategies are identified where necessary to adapt courses to stakeholder needs.Essential Function Indicator:
YesResponsibility / Duty:
Provide support for and expertise about technology and tools as required by the EWU educational mission.
- Evaluates circumstances both standard and novel, considering different approaches while potentially dealing with incomplete and conflicting information.
- Builds course materials in disparate learning management systems such as Open edX, Canvas, Blackboard, LinkedIn Learning, etc.
- Builds course materials in relevant technologies like audience response, media and media management, cloud storage and productivity services, and more.
- Provides technical advice and guidance in the use of user interfaces, browsers, hardware and supporting software.
- Ensures continuous customer support and maintains contact through resolution.
Implementation of instructional solution to meet educational goals.Essential Function Indicator:
YesResponsibility / Duty:
Prepares and presents advanced training sessions and instructional material to individuals and groups based on needs assessments; provides directed training as needed.
- Plans training and refines the methods and techniques being used.
- Assesses, develops, schedules, and coordinates training sessions and materials for instructional technologies and educational strategies.
- Develops advanced documentation, integrating and standardizing across multiple channels for instructional technology.
- Develops resource reference materials for system users including user manuals, online help pages, tutorial videos, and web page content.
- Develops and coordinates regional, state, and local instructional technology events and workshops.
Successfully provides advanced training sessions and instructional materials.Essential Function Indicator:
YesResponsibility / Duty:
Addresses the institution’s needs as assigned through course creation as well as media systems and data analytic consultations.
- Assist with the collection of data relevant to instruction and learning from disparate sources for data science and learning analytic projects.
- Verifies and validates the current state of the pedagogy to identify and recommend improvements by using collected data.
- Assist with the selection and use of media systems to meet instructional and learning design needs.
Successfully meets the needs of institution, teams, and project leads.Essential Function Indicator: