Huntington Facility AssistantFull Time/Part Time:
The Huntington Facility Assistant is responsible for carrying out all of the responsibilities of operating Colgate’s primary recreational facility equipment room. Primary responsibilities are to provide safety and security, facilitate daily recreation customer, collect and record cash/check for recreational memberships, maintain equipment inventory, schedule and perform preventative maintenance on equipment, cleaning, membership sales and services for all recreation facilities, assist with marketing and outreach for department. Name:
- Open and secure building and unlock/lock facilities and rooms as necessary.
- Secure building, including escorting unauthorized individuals from premises or contacting campus safety. Monitor the use of facilities on a regular basis to assure users are authorized.
- Provide point of emergency contact if Campus Safety or ambulance is needed.
- Assist with maintaining an up-to-date computerized equipment inventory for all items handled through Huntington facility. Inform Director of Recreation when equipment needs to be replaced or ordered.
- Launder and disburse clothes and towels for faculty, staff, and members per policy.
- Launder gear for OERC and clothing for swim teams and club sports.
- Sell facility memberships and day passes. Complete all required membership paperwork and waivers written sales procedures.
- Collect cash/checks and record transactions through the cash register per written procedures.
- Maintain an orderly system for the check in/out of all user items.
- Administer recreational facility ID cards to new community members and assist with registration process.
- Oversee issuance of all guest passes.
- Maintain control over keys checked out by authorized monitors, supervisors, lifeguards, physical education instructors, and other authorized users.
- Provide point of contact for students and other authorized users with Recreation Sports programs and open recreation serviced by Huntington facility.
- Assist with club sport equipment and facility preparation. Launder uniforms, sort and store equipment, check-in and out team equipment/uniforms as requested, assist with facility set-up in Huntington as needed.
- Assist with set-up of intramural sports programs to include equipment preparation and facility set-up for all events in Huntington.
- Handle numerous daily inquiries concerning classes, facilities, athletic competitive schedules, and other divisional and non-divisional clerical support when required.
- Receive, sort and distribute campus mail, Fed. Ex. and UPS deliveries. Alert addressee of packages received.
- Serve as point of contact for questions related to various facilities and programs in division when program offices are closed.
- Provide lost and found service, including maintaining ongoing records.
- Serve as point of contact for fitness center monitors and lifeguards during shifts.
- Maintain a systematic approach for the regular cleaning, upkeep, repair and reconditioning of all equipment items.
- Perform routine cleaning of floors, sinks, counters, cupboards, etc. within the equipment issue room.
- Work as monitor in other recreational facilities, as needed.
- Provide basic first aid supplies, i.e. band aids and ice to authorized patrons.
- Monitor sauna room.
- Carry out other assignments as needed and requested by the Director of Recreation.
- Uniform is required and will be provided.
Personal Accountability for ResultsDescription:
Takes responsibility for decisions, performance, and outcomes; behaves in a responsible manner with a positive attitude; shows self-awareness and openness to feedback.Name:
Demonstrates effective written and oral communication skills; shares information and seeks input from others; adapts communication to diverse audiences; protects private and confidential information.Name:
Problem Solving and Decision MakingDescription:
Analyzes and prioritizes situations to identify and solve problems; generates solutions to improve efficiency and quality; involves others in solving problems and making decisions; factors organizational goals into decisions; makes clear, transparent, and timely decisions.Name:
Responds positively to changing university initiatives and readily adapts behavior to maintain effective performance; understands the long-term direction of the university and can relate this to departmental area; adapts to new methodologies; identifies and acts on areas where change is appropriate.Name:
Leadership and TeamworkDescription:
Applies skills and knowledge to provide a climate to achieve departmental and organizational success; balances individual and department goals; helps others perform at their best; builds productive relationships to enhance individual and organizational effectiveness; treats others with respect; resolves conflicts among team members.Name:
Creativity and InnovationDescription:
Generates, explores, encourages, and implements innovative ways of creating strategic value for the university, division, department, and individual level; critically assesses the effectiveness of new initiatives.Name:
Diversity and InclusionDescription:
Demonstrates respect for people and their differences; understands the benefits of a diverse workforce; earns the trust and respect of others; includes and welcomes others; works to understand the perspective of others; promotes opportunities to experience diversity within our community.Name:
Understands the impact of decision making and personal behavior in achieving the university’s commitment to a sustainable and carbon-neutral campus; supports and advances the university’s sustainability initiatives; influences others to use sustainable practices.Professional Experience/ Qualifications:
- Proficient computer skills including: Microsoft Excel, Internet, and e-mail, Google Suite Preferred Qualifications:
- Demonstrated experience working with computers for a minimum of 6 months.
- Ability to operate a cash register and digital payment software.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively meet and deal with the public, to communicate verbally and in writing, and to handle stressful customer service situations as necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service in a highly visible position.
- Must be a self-starter capable of following through on assignments.
- Must be able to work collegially with a diverse group of faculty, staff and students on a daily basis
- General knowledge of recreation and athletics; social media; standard safety practices; procedures and equipment related to recreational activities desired.Education:
- Experience with commercial laundry units desired.
A minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent is required.Physical Requirements:
An Associate’s degree is preferred.
Must be able to lift 50 pounds, climb ladders and stand for extended period of time during an 8-hour shift.Other Information:
Responsible for following all procedures to conduct work activities in a safe manner including but not limited to wearing PPE required for specific duties and safe handling of chemicals as outlined by University policies and/or the supervisor. Responsible for immediately reporting any unsafe conditions to the supervisor and/or Environmental Health and Safety.
Colgate University Bargaining Unit employees must apply by September 22, 2021 to be considered.Requisition Number:
Colgate University is committed to the principle of institutional control in administering its athletics program in a manner consistent with the NCAA, ECAC, and Patriot League rules. Each individual involved in the athletics division is obligated to maintain competency and knowledge of the rules, to act within his or her realm of responsibility in full compliance with the governing legislation, and to report any violation of NCAA, ECAC or Patriot League rules of which he or she is aware. Should a situation warrant further investigation, you have an affirmative obligation to cooperate full in the infractions process, including the investigation and adjudication of a case. The failure to do so can be grounds for your termination with cause.
This is a 10-month position that works 3:00pm-11:00pm, Monday – Friday. Typically the months off will be June and July but are determined by the supervisor, based on the needs of the facility.Job Open Date:
09/15/2021Open Until Filled:
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.Clery Act:
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at [email protected]. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.