Job no: 492581
Work type: Adjunct
Location: St. Louis, MO
Categories: College of Arts & Sciences, Adjunct
Job Summary/Basic Function
In keeping with our mission and vision statement, Maryville actively seeks adjunct faculty members who are experts in fields and have a passion for teaching. Adjunct faculty are an integral part of the University’s learning community and courses on campus.
The College of Arts and Sciences is accepting applications for an academically qualified adjunct faculty member to teach different Actuarial Science courses including:
ACSC 305 - Insurance and Risk
This course introduces the students to the fundamental principles of insurance and risk. Students receive a thorough introduction to risk concepts, as well as life, health, property and casualty insurance, and retirement plans. The course provides basic information for the upper level actuarial science courses.
ACSC 416 - Corporate Finance I
This course introduces the student to the theory and practice of Corporate Finance. Topics include definitions of key financing terms and concepts; dividend policy; impact of financing policies on capital structure; characteristics and definitions of key financing instruments; structure and financing of a stock company; calculation of stock values; and measures and assessment of financial performance.
Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities:
• Teach assigned course as specified in the schedule and course contract.
• Participate in welcome orientation to become familiar with the University’s mission, academic policies and procedures,
• expectations, and Canvas (Learning Management System).
• Clearly communicate course objectives and learning outcomes, teaching methodology, and assignments and deadlines.
• Employ a variety of teaching styles in order to effectively deliver course content demonstrating both academic and real-world applications of concepts covered.
• Encourage active learning through discussion topics, class assignments, group projects, etc.
• Provide feedback and grade assignments in a timely and thorough manner (within 24-36 hrs.).
• Establish digital office hours to provide additional assistance with student questions/concerns.
• Report early alerts for students who are not actively engaging in the course.
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Master's degree in Actuarial Science or related field from a regionally accredited institution.
• Student-centered approach and passion for teaching and mentoring a diverse student population.
• Associateship of Fellowship of Society of Actuaries
• Experience in actuarial related work
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
An offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background screening.
Applicants requiring University sponsorship to obtain employment authorization will not be considered for this position.
Maryville University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race/color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected by law. This extends to all aspects of the employment relationship, including recruiting, hiring, training, on-the-job treatment, promotion, layoff, and termination.
Advertised: June 08, 2022
Applications close: Open until filled