Business Intelligence Analyst, Sr Location:
Office of the Provost Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Full-Time Job ID:
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU’s culture of excellence.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
The Business Intelligence Analyst is located in the Office of the Provost, under the Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs. We are looking for a team member who evaluates and addresses business intelligence, reporting, and data analysis needs. Our new colleague turns business systems data (faculty activity and evaluation systems) into critical information and knowledge. You will transform business data into actionable information to make sound decisions and drive business value. We further expect you to develop data-driven insights, identify efficiency opportunities, and drive reporting automation and data visualization initiatives.
Essential Position Responsibilities
- Serves as main support for the Faculty Activity and Achievement Reporting (FAAR) system, for the Review, Promotion, and Tenure (RPT) system, the course evaluation system, and the PeopleSoft degree module. This includes administrative access maintenance, updating information, setting up evaluations, reporting, and training.
- Coordinates with college staff liaisons through regular communications and meetings.
- Maintains faculty and postdoc discipline codes for market salary benchmarking.
- Conducts salary calculations for the purposes of promotion, merit, equity, and other increases.
- Compiles data, prepares summaries/reports, and creates recommendations as needed.
- Identifies risk factors associated with business process and the need for security, continuity of operations plans, and other risk mitigations to ensure consistency, efficiency, accuracy, and effectiveness.
- Produces and presents reports for key stakeholders with recommendations for change.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, computer information systems, management information systems, or related field.
- 2-4 years of business intelligence experience and/or system administration.
- A combination of related education, experience, and training may be used as an equivalent to the above minimum requirements.
- Master’s degree in business administration, CIS, MIS, or related field.
- Business systems administration experience in higher education.
- Knowledge of Interfolio platform for faculty evaluation and reporting.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of routine business analysis tools and processes, including data gathering and reporting methods.
- Knowledge of institutional research reporting in higher education.
- Knowledge of business and technology to recommend systems and process improvements.
- Basic knowledge of conditions of faculty work and academic year timelines.
- Experience with data visualization and summarization tools (SQL, Tableau).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, with advanced proficiency in Excel (pivot tables, complex formulas, Visual Basic for Applications)
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft.
- Skills in developing stories with complex data.
- Skills in data management techniques.
- Demonstrates ability to delegate tasks.
- Analyzes complex situations and anticipates issues.
- Balances competing priorities.
- Demonstrates problem solving, organizational, and analytical capabilities.
- Communicates effectively.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities.
If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
The budgeted salary amount is $62,996 - $75,995.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Classified Staff (CLS) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System; paid vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website. Classified Staff employees are in a probationary status for their first six months at NAU.
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. Additionally, new employees will begin participating in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
Applications received by September 29, 2021 will be given full consideration. Applications received after that date may be considered until the position is filled.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.