Facility Maintenance Technician Anticipated Hiring Range:
$40,000 - $45,000Work Schedule:
8 hour shift between 5:00 am and 6:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Overtime may occasionally be required, based on departmental needs, which may include weekends. This position will actively participate in the on-call program.Job Location:
TransportationAbout the Department:
North Carolina State University Transportation Department (NC State Transportation) is a receipts-supported auxiliary within the Finance and Administration Division responsible for parking and transit services, managing over 20,000 parking spaces, maintenance and operation of 9 parking decks, enforcing parking regulations, parking citation review and appeal and administration of a 10-route transit system serving over 3.6 million riders per year.Essential Job Duties:
The primary duties of this position as part of the External Operations staff for NC State University, include but are not limited to the electrical and technical maintenance of 9 parking decks and over 180 unique lots/locations throughout the NC State Campus.
- Electrical and technical maintenance, repair and installation of the complex parking system which includes:
- University wide complex gate system
- LPR (License Plate Recognition) system, including static cameras across Main and Centennial campuses
- Revenue equipment along with installing new parking access equipment
- Parking deck lights
- This position will perform all duties of the Facilities Maintenance crew relating to parking signage and lot and deck maintenance. Operate and maintain the digital sign creation software and equipment.
- Clean and maintain parking lots and decks.
- Identify and inform supervisor of potential maintenance issues.
- Maintain and clean Wolfline Bus Shelters.
- Maintain all painted parking spaces, street markings and painted curbs that are under jurisdiction of Transportation.
- Clean up parking areas during/after inclement weather including snow and ice removal, debris removal and application of ice melting products.
- Inspect and maintain equipment including skid steer, blower, sweeper, power washer, paint striper, etc.
- Inspect parking areas and report damage to supervisor.
- This position will actively participate in the on-call program, carrying a pager.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts NC State University’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.Minimum Experience/Education:
High school diploma or equivalency; or demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work. Some positions may require special licenses or certification(s).
Optional Guidelines: Experience in the trade(s) areas related to the area of assignment may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.Other Required Qualifications:
- Knowledge of or ability to learn to design and make signs using sign software and hardware.
- Skills to identify and inform supervisor of potential maintenance issues.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn External Operation’s work order program.
- Ability to explain purpose and procedures in terminology easily understood by others.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn customer service best practices allowing position to communicate in a professional manner when dealing with the public to solve issues.
- Knowledge and skills or ability to learn to operate equipment including: dump trucks, loaders and fork lifts
- Knowledge and skills or ability to learn to use tools including: blowers, paint stripers, saws, drills and various hand power tools.
- Knowledge of computers and programs including Word and Excel
- Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds occasionally, with our without reasonable accommodation.
Preference for the following experience:
Required License or Certification:
- installing and repairing parking control equipment
- equipment operation including dump trucks, loaders and fork lifts
- experience operating power tools
- five years of experience working with electrical and electronic components
- installation and repair of electrical motors, ballasts, and switches
- knowledge of all electrical regulations, codes and safety rules
- knowledge of parking equipment and control software
- CDL license a plus.
Valid NC Driver's License required:
- Valid drivers license required. A valid North Carolina drivers license must be obtained within 60 days of start date.
YesCommercial Driver's License Required?:
NoJob Open Date:
09/15/2021Earliest Close Date---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.):
In addition to your application, please submit a resume and cover letter. Applicants may also submit the contact information for professional references.Position Number:
Please make sure that the work history listed on your application is identical to the work history on your resume.
SHRAPosition Classification Band Title:
Facility Maintenance Technician - Mechanical TradesPosition Classification Band Level:
JourneyPosition Classification Salary Range:
$31,200 - $66,138Salary Grade Equivalency:
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.Full Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Medical EmergenciesTime Limited Position:
NoIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
424001 - TransportationAA/EEO:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.