Campus Safety OfficerFull Time/Part Time:
Dean of the CollegeDepartment:
Campus SafetyDepartment Statement:
The Office of Campus Safety is responsible for maintaining a safe and secure living and working environment that is conducive to learning and is consistent with the academic goals and policies of the institution in an environment of respect. Accountabilities:
Our primary concern is the wellbeing of our students, staff, faculty and visitors. Campus Safety personnel are recognized and authorized with NYS Security Guard status.
Accountable for providing patrol and dispatch (911) services to ensure the safety and security of the university community. Responsible for monitoring all university community members for adherence to the Student Code of Conduct and university policies. Name:
• Maintaining a safe and secure living and learning environment for the campus community
• A customer-oriented approach to providing the full scope of campus safety services and (3) a team-oriented approach to achieving individual and department goals.
Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
• Maintain comprehensive knowledge of the university and campus safety department policies and procedures.
• Enforce the Student Code of Conduct and university policies.
• Provide information, directions, and general assistance to university community members both in person and via the phone.
• Receive emergency and non-emergency calls requesting Campus Safety assistance. Determine nature, location, and priority of calls to Campus Safety and dispatch personnel accordingly.
• Send and receive radio communications to / from Campus Safety Officers, other campus partners, and outside agencies.
• Coordinate incident response with 911 dispatch and other outside agencies.
• Conduct timely case investigations and write case reports, following established procedures.
• Provide incident response support.
• Monitor and respond to campus fire alarms. Investigate to determine if outside agency response is warranted.
• Maintain required dispatch logs and records.
• Patrol the campus for suspicious and/or illegal behavior, safety hazards, public assistance opportunities.
• Perform building tours and lock-ups / unlocks.
• Provide vehicular and pedestrian traffic control services.
• Assist motorists with disabled vehicles on campus.
• Enforce university parking regulations and issue citations for violations.
• Conduct special event safety and security risk assessments and walkthroughs.
• Participate in special event safety and security details.
• Provide basic first aid and lay first responder emergency medical care.
• Participate in department community outreach programs.
• Provide safety and security education to university community members.
• May train and/or have oversight of others, such as student employees.
This position has been designated as a Campus Security Authority (CSA), in accordance with the federal statutory requirements of the Jeanne Clery Act. CSAs are required to and responsible for reporting allegations of crimes they receive from students and employees to the Campus Safety Department.
Demonstrated ability to respond quickly and appropriately during emergency and stressful situations both in person and over the phone, following established protocols. Demonstrated ability to problem solve effectively by evaluating situations and emergencies and using discretion to defuse and resolve issues. Demonstrated ability to file timely and accurate reports of incidents, using computer aided dispatch (CAD) and following departmental procedures. Name:
Ability to understand, interpret and follow University and campus safety policies, procedures and protocols for monitoring and enforcement, as applicable. Demonstrated familiarity with the university property for responding to emergencies and providing assistance.
Ability to meet and maintain all requirements of the New York State Security Guard Act of 1992 in order to be registered as a Security Guard. Ability to become certified and maintain certifications to provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), automated external defibrillator (AED), and Basic First Aid.
Demonstrated ability to communicate and interact effectively with a diverse group of students, faculty, staff and visitors on a daily basis. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with Dean of the College staff, faculty and student groups to promote an inclusive campus community culture and participate in outreach and communication efforts, including to women and historically underrepresented groups. Demonstrated ability to actively participate in educational sessions on any university policy and emergency management such as: alcohol consumption, student conduct, sexual misconduct, sexual harassment and bias-related conduct. Demonstrates and promotes an understanding of similarities and differences in student populations and diverse cultures in all areas of the university community.Name:
Demonstrated ability to provide professional communications in all interactions, including face-to-face and by phone or radio. Demonstrated ability to provide efficient and timely responses for services, accuracy of information and speed in relaying information. Demonstrated ability to behave in a professional, helpful and friendly manner to provide quality experiences in all interactions and communications and strive to build confidence in community members. Demonstrated ability to maintain cooperative and collaborative working relationships with outside agencies such as the local, county and state police agencies.Name:
Personal Accountability for ResultsDescription:
Takes responsibility for decisions, performance, and outcomes; behaves in a responsible manner with a positive attitude; shows self-awareness and openness to feedback.Name:
Demonstrates effective written and oral communication skills; shares information and seeks input from others; adapts communication to diverse audiences; protects private and confidential information.Name:
Problem Solving and Decision MakingDescription:
Analyzes and prioritizes situations to identify and solve problems; generates solutions to improve efficiency and quality; involves others in solving problems and making decisions; factors organizational goals into decisions; makes clear, transparent, and timely decisions.Name:
Responds positively to changing university initiatives and readily adapts behavior to maintain effective performance; understands the long-term direction of the university and can relate this to departmental area; adapts to new methodologies; identifies and acts on areas where change is appropriate.Name:
Leadership and TeamworkDescription:
Applies skills and knowledge to provide a climate to achieve departmental and organizational success; balances individual and department goals; helps others perform at their best; builds productive relationships to enhance individual and organizational effectiveness; treats others with respect; resolves conflicts among team members.Name:
Creativity and InnovationDescription:
Generates, explores, encourages, and implements innovative ways of creating strategic value for the university, division, department, and individual level; critically assesses the effectiveness of new initiatives.Name:
Diversity and InclusionDescription:
Demonstrates respect for people and their differences; understands the benefits of a diverse workforce; earns the trust and respect of others; includes and welcomes others; works to understand the perspective of others; promotes opportunities to experience diversity within our community.Name:
Understands the impact of decision making and personal behavior in achieving the university’s commitment to a sustainable and carbon-neutral campus; supports and advances the university’s sustainability initiatives; influences others to use sustainable practices.Professional Experience/ Qualifications:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required along with the ability to interact effectively in a diverse community. Preferred Qualifications:
- Ability to multitask and perform in a busy and stressful environment is essential.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to complete assigned tasks and follow up efficiently and promptly is essential.
- An understanding of the constraints and legal/ethical requirements of confidentiality and privilege of information required.
- Must be able to successfully complete the five day Security Officer Academy or demonstrate successful completion of the NYS Police Officer Basic Academy.
- Must be able to successfully complete the department’s Campus Safety Officer Field Training program for both components of patrol and dispatch.
- As a designated “essential employee”, must be able to remain on duty beyond normal shift or report to duty without advance notice; must be able to work any time of day, day of the week and holiday. Ability to work a rotating schedule.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, enough to enter data, and familiarity with CAD or Banner desired. Education:
- Experience with access control, closed-circuit television (CCTV) or two way radios desired.
- Previous related work experience as a campus safety/security officer or police officer, and/or prior experience working in a college or university public safety environment is preferred.
- Experience in recognizing and resolving and/or referring to emergency and stressful situations highly desired.
- Knowledge of local and state laws desired.
High school diploma or equivalent required. Certifications:
Associate’s degree in criminal justice or related field or equivalent military experience preferred.
Must be able to meet all requirements of the New York State Security Guard Act of 1992 in order to be registered and maintain registration as a Security Guard. Must be able to attain CPR, AED, and First Aid certification. Physical Requirements:
A current valid driver’s license, in accordance with the University’s Driver Safety and Motor Vehicle Use Policy is required.
Ability to physically respond to all incidents and emergencies throughout the entire campus and be able to perform all duties in a safe and timely manner. This includes the ability to climb stairs, patrol on foot, stand for long periods, sit for long periods and to drive a radio equipped motor vehicle and use the radio for communication purposes.Requisition Number:
This position works a 4/3 then 3/4 rotation. The shift will be 6:00am – 6:00pm or 6:00pm – 6:00am (this has not yet been determined). Job Open Date:
The shift is subject to change based on the needs of the University.
09/14/2021Open Until Filled:
It is the policy of Colgate University not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of their race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, pregnancy, national origin, marital status, disability, protected Veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, being or having been victims of domestic violence or stalking, familial status, or any other categories covered by law. Colgate is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.Clery Act:
CAMPUS CRIME REPORTING AND STATISTICS
The Campus Safety Department will provide upon request a copy of Colgate’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. This report includes statistics as reported to the United States Department of Education for the previous three years concerning reported: 1. crimes that occurred on-campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Colgate University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus and 2. fires that occurred in student housing facilities. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security and fire safety, such as policies concerning sexual assault, life safety systems, and other related matters. To obtain a copy, contact the Campus Safety Compliance Manager via e-mail at [email protected]. You may also access the report from the Campus Safety web page at: www.colgate.edu/offices/support/campussafety.