Special Instructions to Applicants
Please include a letter of application, which addresses the job expectations listed in the job posting. Also, please include a list of 3-5 references.
The Director is the chief administrative officer of the School of Accountancy and is responsible for planning its strategic direction, staffing, budgeting, designing/revising curriculum, implementing continuous improvements, managing the external advisory board, completing AACSB accreditation, and assurance of learning processes, and documenting annual accomplishments. Further information about this position can be found in the search prospectus at https://www.usm.edu/accountancy/_files/accountancy-director-search.pdf.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Providing leadership for School of Accountancy undergraduate and graduate programs and ensuring that curricula, instruction, assessment, research, and outreach are innovative, of the highest quality, and aligned with accreditation guidelines and CBED and USM strategic plans;
2. Overseeing School of Accountancy administration, including staffing courses, managing the budget, overseeing staff, engaging with fundraising efforts, and ensuring efficient/effective day-to-day operations of the School of Accountancy;
3. Articulating and pursuing a vision of growth for the School, developed collaboratively with faculty and consistent with College and University goals, that fosters success for all stakeholders across all programs and across all domains;
4. Maintaining effective relations with external stakeholders such as the School of Accountancy Advisory Board, the Mississippi Society of Certified Public Accountants, etc.
5. Providing leadership and effective representation and advocacy for the SoA at the College and University levels, including establishment and implementation of School, College, and University policies, procedures, and guidelines;
6. Facilitating faculty development and collaborative engagement in meaningful evaluation of faculty;
7. Serving as part of the Dean's Executive Advisory Council for the College and participating in the leadership of the College;
8. Forming and maintaining relationships with individuals in the university and local community;
9. Teaching undergraduate and/or graduate-level courses in discipline; and
10. Performing other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience: Candidates will have earned a doctorate degree (Ph.D., DBA) with a concentration in accounting and eligibility for an appointment at the rank of Associate Professor or above. Candidates must have a record of scholarship to quality as a "scholarly academic" and have evidence of excellence in scholarly research, collegiate teaching, and institutional/professional service. Candidates must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills with experience in an academic leadership position.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
1. Understands higher education and can use industry/professional terminology fluently. Thinks strategically and seeks to align department services and goals with institutional strategic goals. Asks critical questions to delve into root cause to identify solutions. Understands the interconnection of decisions, actions, outcomes, and measures.
2. Demonstrates openness and flexibility towards new ideas and concepts and effectively influences or facilitates during times of change. Helps others become more effective through development and coaching. Utilizes candid feedback, knowledge, resources, and opportunities to improve the performance of others and to increase their contributions. Sets clear expectations for performance provides meaningful feedback, holds employees accountable, and recognizes successes.
3. Demonstrates the ability to deliver accurate, concise, and quality communication (verbal and written) in a timely manner. Encourages an open exchange of ideas and differing perspectives. Adapts communication style to meet the needs of diverse audiences and situations. Listens to understand others. Provides quality feedback.
4. Works to build and manage productive relationships with peers, leaders, and customer groups. Effectively engages and interacts with others to collaborate and provide value-added support that enhances department results and team effectiveness. Affects outcomes and direction of customer’s decisions through effective relationships, trust, and credibility.
Preferred applicants should have experience with academic leadership and AACSB accreditation, and demonstrate a commitment to both applied and general graduate and undergraduate training programs.
About The University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites across the Mississippi Gulf Coast, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 131 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities - Very high research activity" designation and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and large event venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 37 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance, and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of more than 14,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 37 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 27 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities to apply.