12 month - Administrative - In
Vice President of Enrollment Management and Student Success
Northern VA Community College
NV280-Office of Student Services
Fairfax County - 059
Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Full Time or Part Time:
Monday -Friday 8:30-5:00
Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) is the second largest community college in the United States and the largest public educational institution in Virginia. NOVA has more than 71,000 students and 2,600 faculty and staff members. As one of the most internationally diverse colleges in the United States, with a student body consisting of individuals from more than 180 countries, NOVA is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable Virginia by fostering excellence in higher education. As an Achieving the Dream “Leader College,” NOVA is committed to the principles of access, opportunity, student success, and excellence by meeting the educational and training needs of the region and its people with excellent and affordable courses and programs, offered by an inspired and committed diverse faculty and support staff. With six unique locations throughout our region, each conveniently located within 40 miles of Washington D.C, we have Northern Virginia covered. NOVA’s Alexandria Campus is located seven miles from the nation’s capital, just across the Potomac River from Washington DC; the Annandale Campus, with its urban feel and suburban appeal, is ranked as the most diverse in Virginia and boasts a thriving Koreatown; the Loudoun Campus is located in a comfortable suburb steeped in colonial history; the Manassas Campus is located next to Manassas Battlefield Park, site of the first major battle of the Civil War; the Woodbridge Campus is home to municipal parks, state parks, and national wildlife refuges; and the Medical Education Campus, located in Springfield, is a uniquely specialized campus that stands apart from what most community colleges can offer, with the area boasting an abundance of hiking and biking trails, and parks with nature and wildlife areas. NOVA offers an opportunity to make a difference with outstanding career opportunities and competitive total rewards benefits, including a comprehensive health and dental insurance program, generous paid leave, deferred compensation plans, paid parental leave, state employee discounts, and a solid and secure retirement system. NOVA embraces opportunities to create a college community that is a welcoming and inclusive place to learn and work. We do this by fostering a sense of belonging and ensuring equity while maintaining an open, civil, and safe environment for our students, faculty, staff, and guests. In so doing, NOVA fulfills its mission to offer world-class teaching and learning to the Commonwealth of Virginia. The security of our students, faculty, and staff is very important at NOVA. Please take a moment to review NOVA’s Annual Security Reports.
The Opportunity Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) invites nominations and applications for the position of Vice President of Enrollment Management and Student Success. NOVA seeks a capable leader who demonstrates a commitment to community engagement and building partnerships, excellence in promoting student success, and working in and fostering a diverse, multicultural, and international community.
The Role of the Vice President of Enrollment Management and Student Services The Vice President of Enrollment Management and Student Success serves as the chief student services officer for Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA). The Vice President is responsible for providing vision, leadership, oversight, and strategic direction to the division of Enrollment Management and Student Success and is charged with the overall management, planning, administration, and evaluation of the division’s programs, services, personnel, policies, procedures development, facilities and budget. The Vice President is also accountable for developing and leading NOVA’s strategic enrollment management plan and ensuring college offices work together to meet enrollment, retention, and success targets. The following positions report directly to the Vice President: Dean of Recruitment and Admission; Associate Vice President of Enrollment Services; Associate Vice President of Engagement and Retention; Associate Vice President of Student Supports; Dean of Student Rights and Responsibilities; Student Success Co-Leads; Director of Athletics, and an Executive Administrative Assistant. The Position The Vice President is a member of the Administrative Council and reports directly to the President, serving as the college’s leader on all matters related to enrollment management and student services. The Vice President is responsible for leading and supporting the College’s commitment to student access, retention, engagement, and success by actively developing, implementing, and sustaining programs that enrich student learning, build and maintain a strong sense of community, and promote growth through engagement in the life of the College. In so doing, the Vice President leads and develops a team responsible and accountable for these functional areas, ensuring that all student services model the commitment to a holistic culture of care, equity in student outcomes, and evidence-based practice articulated in the Virginia Community College System Opportunity 2027 Strategic Plan. Working with faculty and staff, the Vice President serves as an advocate for student learning in all dimensions of student life. The Vice President provides vision, leadership, and direction to student services at NOVA and supervises all related functions, including advising, athletics, counseling, enrollment management, financial aid, records and registration, student life and leadership, student rights and responsibilities, and veterans services. The Vice President works effectively with all members of Administrative Council to advance NOVA’s mission and achieve institutional operational and strategic goals. In all things, the Vice President acts in a manner that exemplifies innovation, inclusive excellence, and equity-mindedness; demonstrates the highest integrity and, when appropriate, confidentiality; and acts with sound judgment, balance, and perspective.
Duties and Tasks:
- Ensure compliance with the institutional mission by reviewing and approving unit plans, goals and objectives, and service activities.
- Develop and maintain a properly coordinated delivery of essential student services by organizing the various units and sub-units in a logical, non-duplicate, and effective manner to best meet the work requirements of the division and the needs of the student body.
- Assure the prompt and effective delivery of student services by monitoring workloads throughout the division and prioritizing staffing needs accordingly.
- Enable division employees to perform their assigned tasks by coordinating the annual budget and retaining executive authority over all budgets within student services.
- Facilitate an active and collaborative relationship between student services and other divisions (Academic Affairs, Finance and Administration, etc.).
- Encourage high morale and quality student service through a leadership style which causes employees to strive for the achievement of annually established goals and objectives.
- Manage the achievement of division goals by developing effective controls to guide work effort toward expected outcomes.
- Promote positive student relations by maintaining effective lines of communication with student leaders and serving as a strong advocate for the non-academic, extra-curricular, and co-curricular needs of students.
- Support positive relations for the College by communicating and interacting with city, state, and other officials in matters related to student services.
- Facilitate a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds. Support and assist the President by providing regular reports, developing proposals for approval of the President, and completing other tasks and duties as assigned.
May be required to perform other duties as assigned. May be required to assist the agency or state government generally in the event of an emergency declaration by the Governor.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of effective, equity-minded, evidence-based practices within student services.
- Knowledge of the policies, procedures, and regulations at the institutional, state, federal, and accreditation-level that impact postsecondary education.
- Knowledge of higher education principles of shared governance.
- Skilled in forming effective partnerships and collaborations across diverse stakeholders.
- Skilled in interpersonal communication and conflict resolution.
- Skilled in leading, developing, and managing personnel.
- Skilled in managing projects and processes from idea through execution and evaluation.
- Ability to synthesize and present data to varied audiences
- Ability to analyze and make sound, informed, and well-considered recommendations on complex issues.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse workforce.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality on individual student and personnel matters.
- Ability to maintain and meet deadlines and deliver high quality work product when managing multiple projects.
- An earned doctorate from a regionally accredited college or university.
- At least five years of progressive administrative experience in student services/affairs, or related experience in higher education, including supervisory experience.
- A doctorate in educational leadership, higher education leadership, counseling, or a closely related field.
- Previous experience in a community college environment.
Operation of a State Vehicle:
Number of Vacancies:
Job Open Date:
Job Close Date:
Open Until Filled:
Betty Asher or Ann Bailey
[email protected]; [email protected]
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, LLC is assisting Northern Virginia Community College in this search. Applications and nominations are now being accepted. Confidential inquiries and nominations should be directed to Greenwood/Asher and Associates. For a full application package please provide a cover letter, CV, and list of five references. The search will be conducted with a commitment of confidentiality for candidates until finalists are selected. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made. Please direct inquiries and nominations to:
Betty Asher, Founder, Greenwood/Asher & AssociatesAnn Bailey, Senior Executive Search Consultant42 Business Center Drive, Suite 206 Miramar Beach, FL 32550Phone: 850-650-2277Email: [email protected]Email: [email protected]
For more information, please see the Position Profile Vice President of Enrollment Management and Student Success
Background Check Statement Disclaimer:
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment). Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest. For more information, please follow this link: http://ethics.dls.virginia.gov/
The Virginia Community College System, an EEO employer, welcomes applications from people of all backgrounds and recognizes the benefits of a diverse workforce. Therefore, the VCCS is committed to providing a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. We prohibit discrimination and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, political affiliation, veteran status, gender identity, or other non-merit factors.
The VCCS is an EOE and Affirmative Action Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Acts (ADA and ADAAA), VCCS will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of access to the application, interviewing and selection processes.
Governor's Mandate Message:
Executive Order #18. Newly hired, including employees transferring from other state agencies, will be required to provide their vaccination status prior to starting a position or at the latest by their position start date. Additional details regarding how to request an accommodation, required weekly Covid-19 testing, and mask requirements will be provided by Human Resources for newly hired or transferred employees who are unvaccinated.
VCCS uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes.
Quicklink for Posting: