Position Title:Office Support Specialist, Open Recruitment/Testing (12187) Occupational Area:04 Employee Class Description:CS Salaried Full time Department:000000 - Varies Job Posting Description:
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is pleased to accept applicants for open recruitment/testing for current/future Office Support Specialist vacancies. This notice is an Open Recruitment Civil Service posting at SIUE. Open Recruitment does not represent an actual vacancy; rather it allows interested persons to apply for this title in general and, if qualified, complete the State University Civil Service System test for placement on the employment register.
Illinois Residency Requirement: This position requires current Illinois residency to apply and test.
The Office Support Specialist performs a wide variety of office support tasks that require the use of judgment and initiative, and the ability to operate computer systems utilizing various office software packages. Knowledge of the organization, programs, practices, and procedures of the unit is central to the performance.
An Office Support Specialist typically performs but not limited to the following:
• Maintains a calendar of operating or administrative commitments and notifies the principal(s) and/or affected staff of deadlines.
• Coordinates unit operational projects, meetings, conferences, and travel arrangements and monitors and expedites progress.
• Prioritizes the principal(s)' incoming mail and drafts initial responses of the activities of the principal(s) and/or the procedures of the unit.
• Composes correspondence and reports requiring knowledge of the activities of the principal(s) and/or the procedures of the unit.
• Signs documents for the principal(s) as directed.
• Maintains records of unit fiscal transactions involving a variety of accounts and provides advice regarding the appropriateness of requested expenditures.
• Supervises the maintenance of comprehensive files and records systems for a large and/or complex unit, which may include confidential materials.
• Plans, organizes, assigns, and reviews the work of the unit's clerical staff and participates in their selection, training, and evaluation.
Further duties and responsibilities may be assigned in support of the department’s mission and goals. Office Support Specialist positions are held at all three campuses, Edwardsville, East St. Louis and Alton. Please be sure to indicate the campuses you would be willing to work at on your Civil Service application.
If your application package is acceptable and you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be eligible to sit for the Civil Service exam to be added to the employment register for any current and/or future vacancies within this job title. Availability of vacancies may vary. SIUE offers an exceptional array of benefits to all full-time and part-time (50% or more) employees including medical, dental and life insurance; tuition waivers; financial savings plans; vacation and sick leave; and pension plan as part of a total compensation package to eligible employees.
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville nurtures an open, respectful, and welcoming climate that facilitates learning and work. SIUE is committed to education that explores the historic significance of diversity in order to understand the present and to better enable our community to engage the future. Integral to this commitment, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville strives for a student body and a workforce that is both diverse and inclusive. For more on our Statement of Diversity, visit: https://www.siue.edu/about/mission-goals-plans/diversity.shtml
To Apply for this Vacancy:
Click the “Apply for Position” button at the top of the job description page. This will prompt you to access your existing HireTouch account or create a new account, only create a new account if you have NEVER done so previously. After logging in or completing your new profile, you can then complete the required SIUE application documents for each individual position.
Applicants must submit a completed Civil Service Application, which must include complete employment history, through HireTouch. If you do not possess any employment history, you must indicate this within the employment history section of the application. Your application should reflect all relevant skills and experience related to the minimum qualifications listed for this position. While a resume may be submitted with the application, data for each employer must be listed on this application form. (The words "See Resume" may only be used as a substitute in the section entitled "Specific Duties Performed".) If the application is incomplete you will not be considered for the position as our office will be unable to evaluate your application to determine if you possess the required minimum qualifications.
If qualifying by education or to qualify for a required educational prerequisite, you must submit your transcripts, including those for SIUE, at the time of application. Applicants qualifying for Veteran’s preference must submit a copy of form DD214 at the time of application. For additional information, please visit: Eligibility Criteria and Point Allocation and Proof of Eligibility. Please submit any other licenses or certifications related to the position at the time of application.
Applicants will be subject to a background check and/or drug screening prior to an offer of employment. Some positions are represented by a union and may require union dues.
PLEASE NOTE: For all Civil Service positions, Illinois residency is required within 180 calendar days of the start date for the designated position.
For more information, please visit the Office of Human Resources website at www.siue.edu/human-resources or call Civil Service Testing at 618-650-2190.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
1. High school graduation or equivalent.
2. One (1) year (12 months) of work experience comparable to the second level of this series.
3. Any one or any combination of the following, totaling two (2) years (24 months) of experience in the categories below:
a. Work experience performing office/clerical activities, including use of computer systems.
b. College or university coursework in any curriculum:
- Twelve (12) semester hours = six (6) months.
- Twenty-four (24) semester hours = twelve (12) months.
- Thirty-six (36) semester hours = eighteen (18) months.
- Forty-eight (48) semester hours = twenty-four (24) months.
FLSA Exemption Status:Non-Exempt Posting Salary:$2,654.60 Monthly (Non-Negotiable) Appointment Type:Permanent Posting Start Date:06/10/2021