Job location: University Campus Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
Job Description SummaryThe Department of Social Sciences seeks applications for a full-time position in History with a focus on the modern world. The successful applicant will be expected to teach both sections of Western Civilization and a course on immigration. Candidates with secondary specializations in the Atlantic World or the Global South are encouraged to apply, as are individuals specializing in gender, race, or environmental history. This position will also support courses in the International Studies program. Faculty appointment is for nine (9) months with a normal teaching load of 12 credit hours per semester.
Duties and Tasks:
- Teach eight classes per academic year
- Advise and mentor students
- Participate in curriculum development
- Engage in scholarship and professional development
- Engage in service to the department, college, and university
- May perform other related tasks as assigned by the department chair, dean, and/or vice president of academic affairs.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Earned Ph.D. in History
- Broad knowledge base in world history and non-western area studies
- Demonstrated teaching proficiency
- Knowledge of the online instructional environment is preferred
- Evidence or promise of professional development and scholarly research
In addition to your curriculum vitae, the following documents are required for consideration. Please be sure to check the email under which you applied for important instructions on completing the remaining steps, including uploading documents in the second step of the application packet process as follows:
- Cover Letter
- Teaching Philosophy - (500 words or less), should highlight how your teaching philosophy and practices fit the Mission and Values of Saint Leo University.
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation – All letters of recommendation should be professional references and at least one (1) from a recent superior. If you do not have those documents at the time of application, please upload a text or word document stating, "Recommendations will be sent independently." Recommendation letters can be mailed to Academic Affairs at the address stated below
- Student Evaluations (six classes minimum) – Student evaluations from the last year (at least six classes, an even mix of graduate and undergraduate).
All official transcripts must be requested from the universities and/or colleagues attended and/or certified transcript evaluations/translations from World Education Services (WES) to be sent to the attention of Veronica Mantegna by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or hardcopy to the following address:
ATTN: VERONICA MANTEGNA
ACADEMIC AFFAIRS – MC 2006
SAINT LEO UNIVERSITY
PO BOX 6665
SAINT LEO, FLORIDA 33574
Full-time faculty positions are pending final budget approval prior to the start of the academic year.
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term “qualified individual with a disability” means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student, and graduate success.
Why Work at Saint Leo?
What it’s Like to Work Here: Ask our employees and the one word they’d use to describe working at Saint Leo University is “Community.” Our team members all share the Saint Leo core values, positive attitudes, and problem-solving abilities, enabling them to provide excellent student centered service. Our mission is educating and preparing students for life and leadership in a challenging world. Thank you for your interest in joining the Saint Leo PRIDE!
We are committed to providing our employees with the support they need. At Saint Leo, we offer an array of medical, dental, and vision packages as well as several add-on perks to make your benefits package truly customizable to you and your family needs. Available benefits based on employment status (Full Time vs Part Time).
- Inclusive Group Health Plan (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Group Health Plan features include Teledoc, Surgery Plus!, Wellness Incentive Program, Nationwide Pet Insurance, just to name a few!
- Health Reimbursement Account (University Paid!) and Flexible Spending Accounts (healthcare and dependent options)
- Tuition Remission (Employee, Spouse, and Dependents)*
- Tuition Exchange opportunity for dependent of employees*
- Paid Personal Leave (Sick, Vacation, Holidays)
- 403b - Annual match 3%-9% of pay based on employee’s contribution. University match and fully vested within one month of hire date.
- Basic Life and AD&D Insurance valued at 30k (University Paid!)
- Income Protection Benefits after one year
- Additional options for supplemental insurance
*Eligibility based on meeting required service period